*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Don
That's the thing, there will be a lot of streamers who are picking VR up for the first time for the views.

It certainly doesn't take 2 minutes to shoot a headcrab once you get your VR bearings :p Although there are techniques to do so and some of the Sights that Valve have added to the game help a massive amount with aiming in VR.

You cannot beat an intense shootout in VR, that's where you feel the main differences between VR and non-VR as it's so easy to just panic.

That scene when you get the flashlight and Poison Headcrab/Spider things appear...talk about intense!! Should have used my shotgun but decided to panic through the Pistol!!!

That whole scene in the dark was super intense after you found the torch. In one of the later rooms the poison headcrab jumped past me and I spent a few frantic minutes looking for it in the dark with the torch :D

Associate
It's absolutely amazing! I am blown away by the game, feeling like you're actually in Half Life, it took me back to when I played the first half life when it came out, the world is so unique!!! and the attention to details is jaw dropping, i saw an electricity meter in a cupboard went right up to looked closely and you can see the number slowly moving up with the little disc rotating!!!!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It seems All the big headsets work flawlessly with it. I've now watched reviews on youtube where the reviewer has had Rift S or Quest and both state flawless performance. Along with people here too so this is all promising. Index has a higher resolution and higher refresh rate so that would be my main choice, but at half the price, Rift S seems like a bit of a bargain?

Caporegime
It seems All the big headsets work flawlessly with it. I've now watched reviews on youtube where the reviewer has had Rift S or Quest and both state flawless performance. Along with people here too so this is all promising. Index has a higher resolution and higher refresh rate so that would be my main choice, but at half the price, Rift S seems like a bit of a bargain?

Depending if you can get one, stock seems limited and as usual stores are brandishing their strapons for anyone wanting to buy one.:rolleyes::mad:

Soldato
Liking it so far, but for some reason the VR..fidelity? doesn't seem as striking as some other VR games. I think it might be the greyish colour palette which makes it look a bit flat.

The game is pretty brutal on hard difficulty though in places. When you have to aim yourself, instead of simply move a mouse it makes things much more challenging. Though you can stick the gun around a corner and blindfire at things :p

Last edited:
Associate
shooting in VR takes proper skills, but it's a great way to learn this coordination. the buzz you get from taking out the bad guys is immense, just don't get the same adrenaline rush when playing flatscreen

Soldato
Amazing etc. You don't need an index to appreciate this game. Just get a rift s. I've also played on the hp reverb and while slightly better sharpness it looks amazing on both.

ne0

ne0

Associate
need to put money aside for new kitchen otherwise I'd be jumping on the Valve Index /HL Alyx train. Still near a grand is a lot for a niche gaming experience.

Soldato
Amazing etc. You don't need an index to appreciate this game. Just get a rift s. I've also played on the hp reverb and while slightly better sharpness it looks amazing on both.

I'm using the old Rift CV1 and it still looks great. You can find them quite cheap on ebay now.

Soldato
I want it so bad, I just cant justify spending the money on an Index right now considering it would have to be an Index for the best experience and it probably be revised/replaced 5 times in the next couple of years.

Not to mention I cant use it when the kids are in bed because I'll be making so much noise!

Man of Honour

I have CV1 and touch and it is great. Get anything mainstream and enjoy.
I want it so bad, I just cant justify spending the money on an Index right now considering it would have to be an Index for the best experience and it probably be revised/replaced 5 times in the next couple of years.

Not to mention I cant use it when the kids are in bed because I'll be making so much noise!

Then just get a rift. Honestly you don't need 'best experience', although nice to have, it is absolutely stunning even on last gen.

Caporegime
I have CV1 and touch and it is great. Get anything mainstream and enjoy.

Then just get a rift. Honestly you don't need 'best experience', although nice to have, it is absolutely stunning even on last gen.

The rift is going for rip off prices currently as they dont seem to be in stock.

Caporegime
£399 on Oculus, dispatched by the 31st of March.

1st April now, must be getting a few orders for this because of this game. Thinking about it but if i was getting queasy watching the video above i'd probably be blasting a hole through my screen via projectile vomit in actual vr. :eek:

Seems a bit odd that 90fps is recommended for vr and this is 10fps below that, think even the previous version had a 90hz rate?

Back
Top Bottom