*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Soldato
VR is still 2 generations (at best) away from being "mainstream". Saying that, even with all the investment, it could very easily do a "3D" :D

Cost of admission is still a factor for a GOOD experience.

I came into this thread expecting horse **** and got horse sick. Was that a good thing?

Soldato
Valve couldn't have released Half Life 3 as a VR title. It would have made a lot of people angry seen as a minuscule amount of people actually have VR gear (unless i am wrong).

I would have hoped that by now this VR fad died away already. At best this is a very niche gaming genre, at worst VR is a gimmick.

I doubt VR will go mainstream, the idea has been around for a while and there is a reason it was never popular.

I think this Alyx game will be a generic typical VR shooter with great valve polish, it will bring nothing new to the table and will be quickly forgotten. It will not be enogh to push any other game developers to devote enough resources to produce quality titles nor will it force larger adoption of VR.

Valve VR hardware, PC steam boxes, Artifact, againt unless I am mistaken, I think all of them failed as projects. The company is clearly out of touch, their main busienss is steam store now, not game development.

Soldato
So many strange opinions in here. I don't have a headset since moving country, but when I had the Vive it definitely wasn't a gimmick.
It's a complete game changer in specific genres.

Everyone here is Mystic Meg calling the game a failure, despite knowing little to nothing about it. :D
Cheer up folks.

Soldato
What a kick to the teeth to the 99.99% of the HL fans that don't have VR and have waited all this time in the hope of something new from the franchise.

I also just don't see how well an fps game like HL would work in VR. I have seen a few people play Doom in VR and it looked awful compared to the fast, fluid motion you have on PC. It seems like they're just using a loved franchise to try and flog their VR kit.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems like they're just using a loved franchise to try and flog their VR kit

The game will be compatible with all Steam VR supported headsets, several of which are significantly lower in cost compared to the Valve Index.

I have seen a few people play Doom in VR and it looked awful compared to the fast, fluid motion you have on PC.

I own Doom VFR on my PC. The game is only disappointing in it's presentation as a slimmed down version of the original, it plays identical to the desktop flatscreen version in terms of speed and fluidity. Arguably a better experience with that though with the scaled character npc's which are huge and very imposing, and present as some of the most detailed models I've seen in VR.

Last edited:
Associate
HL franchise not dead = happy
I hope it will be outstanding on VR but will be unlikely to buy into it
Not too happy Valve make a new HL game that isn't HL3 or at least EP3 which it what customers actually want after so long but won't lose sleep, I've had teenage daughter since HL2!

Back
Top Bottom