*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Soldato
I guess when a game is made for VR from the start its designed as something that is played where the player has 6 degrees of movement and able to do things you as a person can do naturally, but something that would be impossible with a 2D controller.

Converting a 2D game like Doom or Borderlands to VR is easy, converting a VR game to 2D though, completely different ball game. We just don't have a traditional controller or keyboard/mouse combination that could do everything you as a person could do with your own hands as easily.

Soldato
If you've purchased an Index, you get it for free. I was about to put my first ever pre-order down on a game... Fantastic!

With the steam credit I got from purchasing the Index from the summer sale, that's a £80 value I got from the £690 spent.

If your in on VR, you'll know how cool some of that stuff in the trailer is gonna be.

Associate
Although I am excited for this I believe it is just a clever ploy by Valve to sell more Index headsets. Plain and simple.

I still run a original Vive and I can tell you that this new VR game WILL NOT make me upgrade to a Index. Due to the fact that for the little I do use my Vive I'm not stupid enough to upgrade for one game.

Also if it looks as good as The Lab i'd be more than happy because it still looks amazing on my Vive.

Soldato
Isn't source 2 a modular engine? As in it can updated with modules to add modern functionality. Essentially meaning Source 2 today, is vastly different to Source 2 from 2011. Looks pretty good and being a VR user myself I imagine it will look incredible through the headset.

If you've never tried VR before you really have no idea what its like. I'm not saying that to be a d**k, but VR is impossible to understand without experiencing it first. I remember trying to explain it to my 60+ year old mother when I got my Vive years ago, in the end I just told her to put it on and loaded up theBlu and let her walk around a coral reef. She was blown away and said it felt like she was actually there.

Soldato
Although I am excited for this I believe it is just a clever ploy by Valve to sell more Index headsets. Plain and simple.

You know that they were working on the game when the only feasible product they had involvement in was the Vive?

That said, they are giving it away for free if you do buy one:)

Soldato
Little documentary by Geoff Keighley who interviewed the devs making HL:Alyx

EDIT: Very good explanation in the video why they couldn't create HL:A as a 2D title, also a mention of HL:3 ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought my first discrete GPU because of Half Life, for me it was an amazing experience something that you'll never be able to replicate on a monitor because it's been done to death since.

This game must have been in development for quite some time I'm willing to bet they're aiming for the same experience Half Life gave when it came out.

I'm genuinely excited and I've only ever sampled PSVR for a short time, I'm even willing to spend money on a VR setup like I upgraded for Half Life all those years ago but Valve Index money? And the GPU needed to power it? Not so sure on that

Last edited:
Soldato
You say that now, but come March 2020 if it turns out to be an instant hit and the best thing since sliced bread, people with money to burn will be jumping at the chance.

For me the level of interaction and sense of scale will just be mind blowing. I already have an idea what it will be like playing games like Elite Dangerous or Space Pirate Trainer in VR, but Half-Life, that's gonna blow my mind.

Back
Top Bottom