Hanns-G HG281DP 28" Widescreen Any good, really??

Soldato
Is this monitor worth a buy then guys? i will be using it for gaming and internet maybe occasional film watching.

What is this talk about 1:1 mapping and watching dvds or bluray will have black borders?

Is this monitor a TN panel?

Could somebody anwser these questions please.

Associate
Is this monitor worth a buy then guys? i will be using it for gaming and internet maybe occasional film watching.

What is this talk about 1:1 mapping and watching dvds or bluray will have black borders?

Is this monitor a TN panel?

Could somebody anwser these questions please.

Just got one of these yesterday and so far very happy with it. Mainly going to be used on the desktop and occasional gaming. It is monstrously big (in a good way)!

The 1:1 pixel mapping is only a problem if you intend to do something like connect a games console or DVD player to it. Whatever input signal it will get it will scale it to fill the whole screen. So if you give it a 1080p (1920x1080) signal then the 1080 vertical pixels will be scaled out to 1200 rather than leaving black borders at the top and bottom. This results in an incorrect aspect ratio and being slightly out-of-focus. If you're using it just with a PC you will display at the native resolution of 1920x1200 and if you play a video the scaling is handled on the PC and so it will still look clear. Hope that makes sense!

Think it is a TN panel, not certain though.

Soldato
I've heard bad things about Hanns G monitors after two years, which is a very short lifespan. I'd recommend sticking with known brands such as Samsung. OCers should stock more, like older monitors from good brands that are cheaper rather than bad monitors from nameless brands.

Associate
Well as i said...mine has been fine, i use it for gaming (driving sims) web browsing and watching justin tv and catchup tv.

Associate
i had the 1st for nearly 2 years now still look as good as it was the 1st day i got it and games well no problems there

i recently got 2 more as they are just what i need
yes there are few glitches but it what youd expect from 28" panel at £300

the glitch i have is slight bleeding around the top edges on black background
other than that and if that dont bother you then it a great bargain to be had

here a dead space on a matrox triplehead2go digital and 3 hanns g's

and my racing setup

DSCN0902.jpg

mind the mess just got all that installed and was too impatiant lol
that using my cheap camera on the dead space clip
i hope that helps answering your questions:D

Last edited:
Associate
i had the 1st for nearly 2 years now still look as good as it was the 1st day i got it and games well no problems there

i recently got 2 more as they are just what i need
yes there are few glitches but it what youd expect from 28" panel at £300

the glitch i have is slight bleeding around the top edges on black background
other than that and if that dont bother you then it a great bargain to be had

here a dead space on a matrox triplehead2go digital and 3 hanns g's

and my racing setup

DSCN0902.jpg

mind the mess just got all that installed and was too impatiant lol
that using my cheap camera on the dead space clip
i hope that helps answering your questions:D

I would love to drive GTR Evolution on that!...any driving sim infact:D

Soldato
yes m8 it does by what i have read;)

Hmmm, the only problem is that my PS3 would link in via HDMI, but since the monitor doesn't have a DVI I would need to switch connections for my PC... plus I would need a DVI to hdmi to plug my GPU in to the monitor... I like the sound of the monitor, but this issue really kills it for me :(

Associate
I bought this monitor the other day. I have my PC connected via VGA and my 360 connected via HMDI and am very happy with it. PC running in 1900x1200 looks stunning and the 360 looks awesome too.

Anyone else use this for the 360 via HDMI? What are your experiences? I had been using a 32" HDTV (1080i) previously and i must say it looks much better using this monitor.

Soldato
I searched a little and have found out you can purchase a HDMI switch - I assume this would move between PC and PS3 no problem at all, with the different resolutions ok?

The PC would be 1920x1200 and the PS3 would be 1920x1080 (1080P) for blu-rays, would that function correctly? I assume so, but thought it would be best to check.

Associate
Hi All.

I would like to ask anyone who actually owns an HG281D monitor:

a) Do you have an HG281D, HG281DJ, HG281DP or other model (the number on the actual product or box)?

b) Does it or doesn't it have a dedicated, separate DVI out?

I have tried searching the Internet, looked at reviews of this monitor which mention the specs, looked at websites which sell the monitor, looked on the HannsG website and I contacted HannsG but haven't yet had a reply.

Can anyone who owns any of these models state the correct info for 100% certain?

According to some, the colour of the bases are different, or the DJ model has an adjustable arm and the other doesn't, or it is slightly bigger overall (probably due to the adjustable arm).

I really do not care about all of the above. My main point of concern is that one website review claimed that the DJ monitor does not have a DVI port, whereas another website states that the DP monitor does have a DVI port. I could only find the DJ model's specifications on the HannsG website, which lists it as follows:

Input 1 - VGA, Audio
Input 2 - HDMI (HDCP)
Input 3 - Component (via VGA-Input)

The DP model sold at a website states:

VGA In - 1 x 15-pin D-sub
Digital In - 1 x DVI-D
HDMI Ports - 1 x HDMI

Can someone please help clear up the confusion between the different models of the HG281D monitor in terms of the DVI port??

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom