Hanns.G HZ281HPB 27.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Associate
Heya everyone

I'm about to get one of these beasts for Christmas and I was wondering how consoles look on it?

I'll be hooking the PS3 via HDMI, the PC via DVI (Or HDMI using a splitter, but it shouldn't make a difference) and my 360 via the VGA port, I read people were experiencing stretching issues with the PS3, is this common with everyone?

Cheers ahead!.

Associate
hey people :)

Just received one of these beasts, set it up, sorted the settings out and now im not sure if mine has this "backlight bleed" its normal or (which im hoping) a faulty unit.

Basicly the bottom and both side backlights appear fine but the top one seems as if well....its not strong enough. So a white image looks perfect in the center of the screen but appears to slowly turn to a darker white/creamish tint when moved towards the very top of the screen.

After reading this thread and a google search it appears theres not supposed to be a backlight bleed issue with this version.

Id admit most people wouldnt notice it....but Im quite fussy and its putting me off using it when for example my mineral/gas/supply UI on Starcraft II looks faded out compared to the rest of the screen among other noticeable parts of other games.

Wondering if its worth calling overclockers to ask for a replacement.

Any ideas anyone? thanks

Soldato
Have to say... I can't remember the last time I saw almost perfectly uniform whites on any LCD panel other than a VA. This includes IPS models costing several hundred pounds. What does the screen look like in an 'all black' image (for example running a black background slideshow on Power Point)?

Last edited:
Associate
Have to say... I can't remember the last time I saw almost perfectly uniform whites on any LCD panel other than a VA. This includes IPS models costing several hundred pounds. What does the screen look like in an 'all black' image (for example running a black background slideshow on Power Point)?

Ta for the reply :)

When totally black you can (not vividly) see the top backlight but not the side or bottom light. I forgot to mention before but when I stand up and look down to the monitor the colours appear correct.

Maybe it is common I dont know just havent noticed it like that before with others.

Last edited:
Associate
Adding to my previous post, here is the best pic I can find of the problem.

That pic is with the mouse drag/select across the whole screen, seems to be the best way to show what I mean :)

http://img441.imageshack.us/i/img0187m.jpg/

Seems the top 1/4 of the screen is darker than the rest...and trust me it is well noticeable when playing games.

Last edited:

CSA

CSA

Associate
two questions:

can the resolution be knocked down to 1920x1080 ? i want it to match my tv for HTPC use

is there audio in and out on ther monitor its self ?

Associate
two questions:

can the resolution be knocked down to 1920x1080 ? i want it to match my tv for HTPC use

is there audio in and out on ther monitor its self ?
The resolution can be knocked down to 1920 x 1080 but you might have to change your graphics driver control panel settings in Windows to force it to apply 1:1 pixel mapping, thus avoiding the "stretched" picture that you get when you plug a PS3 into it.

There is audio in (cable supplied) but the only "audio out" is via an earphone connector.

Associate
The resolution can be knocked down to 1920 x 1080 but you might have to change your graphics driver control panel settings in Windows to force it to apply 1:1 pixel mapping, thus avoiding the "stretched" picture that you get when you plug a PS3 into it.

There is audio in (cable supplied) but the only "audio out" is via an earphone connector.

So you can force 1:1 pixel mapping via windows? :O

Last edited:
Associate
So you can force 1:1 pixel mapping via windows? :O
I've re-read my original comments and realised that some people might think that I am suggesting that you could set the resolution in Windows to fix a problem on the PS3. Obviously this is not what I intended. I was merely using the PS3 as an example of what the picture would look like (i.e. "stretched") when the monitor was connected to a PC without 1:1 pixel mapping enabled.

So following up on my original comments....
I don't know what the setting is on nVidia cards but on ATI cards you can go into the Catalyst Control Center and set the "Image Scaling" to "Use Centered Timings" which turns off the image scaling for non-native panel resolutions. So if you've set the desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 and ticked the "Use Centered Timings" option, you will get 1:1 pixel mapping and therefore black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can set in the monitor OSD menu to get the same effect when using a PS3 or an Xbox360. I've tried setting the Screen Aspect Ratio from "Full Mode" to "Fit Mode" but it has no effect. The picture is always stretched.

Last edited:
Associate
I've re-read my original comments and realised that some people might think that I am suggesting that you could set the resolution in Windows to fix a problem on the PS3. Obviously this is not what I intended. I was merely using the PS3 as an example of what the picture would look like (i.e. "stretched") when the monitor was connected to a PC without 1:1 pixel mapping enabled.

So following up on my original comments....
I don't know what the setting is on nVidia cards but on ATI cards you can go into the Catalyst Control Center and set the "Image Scaling" to "Use Centered Timings" which turns off the image scaling for non-native panel resolutions. So if you've set the desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 and ticked the "Use Centered Timings" option, you will get 1:1 pixel mapping and therefore black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can set in the monitor OSD menu to get the same effect when using a PS3 or an Xbox360. I've tried setting the Screen Aspect Ratio from "Full Mode" to "Fit Mode" but it has no effect. The picture is always stretched.

Cheers for the info, I must admit at first I thought you were suggesting that it prevented stretching the PS3 image heh.

Again how many people regularly use consoles with this? what are your opinions on the stretching? as mine is technically a gift I can't test all these things out throughly until xmas xD I had it hooked up to a PS3 very breifly to see if it worked and it seemed like it look alright.

Associate
When I first unboxed my Hanns G, the first thing I tested it with was my PS3. My initial reaction was "Christ! This is so bright I think my face is going to melt!".

After tweaking the settings to a more acceptable level I played a hi def movie trailer from the PS3 and I remember thinking how good it looked. Immediately after that, I attached the Hanns G to my PC and never tried it with a PS3 until a couple of months later. That's when I noticed the "stretching". I tried connecting via hdmi and dvi. I tried tweaking the monitor OSD but I couldn't fix it.

I've read in other forums that some people are perfectly okay with the stretched image. Apparently you get used to it. I guess I'm just too picky.

Soldato
Got mine today and Ive noticed when you use "user" settings they dont stay when the pc turns off the monitor??

Ive try it wilth dvi and vga connections, but it just wont keep the "user" RGB setting when you turn off the pc or pc turns off monitor. Well it does keep the settings but you have to turn the monitor off and on to get them back:mad:

Soldato
Ive set it up using the neutral colour setting instead.. Im guessing its a bug?

Anyway heres a few pics guys...........

dscf08147858668.jpg

dscf08197951899.jpg

Soldato
I always let the PC turn off the screen. I had always assumed that it saved the Color Setting User values but I've never actually checked. I'll take a look when I get home later and let you know.

For me, the Color Setting User values are still selected and settings are saved when pc turns the screen back on, but monitor doesn't use them, unless the screen is turned off and on by power button..

Its odd, and I think I will send mine back for a replacement if other people dont experience this:mad:

Soldato
Ive found out that my 3870 gpu will run at 1600x1200 without much of a slowdown to my games and because its using a sort of native res, the picture is nice and sharp. The only downside is I have black bars left and right of the screen, well Im glad its not stretched:D

Back
Top Bottom