Hardest job you've ever done?

Associate
To the OP:

I am doing the same thing as you and I have been there 3 weeks, it wouldn't be that bad if we were paid more but sadly I'm doing 40 hours a week of walking for a whole £10 extra than if I wasn't working because I live with my partner and have no children.

I must be entitled to something for my partner because £10 extra a week is wrong.

The hardest work I have ever done was farm work..

Last edited:
Soldato
I also work for an online retailer, And I walk a similar distance to the OP. Its not that hard though, I did it for 14 months before I got noticed, and ended up in a better position.

Hardest part of the job is the fact its boring, Time does go quickly due to having to hit targets, thank god, but you literally have to turn off your brain and push a trolley around like a zombie for 8 hours per night.

I actually find my newer job harder, which is working at the same place, but we have deadlines to hit(Not just KPI), and a boss sitting on your shoulder the whole night. A boss who is extremely unforgiving and unrealistic!

Thats real pressure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Worst hours and physically draining I've done..

1-10pm at Tesco pushing trolleys
10-4am at Nightclub serving behind the bar

I got the second job through my then girlfriends brother, to earn a bit on the side, so they were ok with me arriving at 10:15 in my Tesco uniform, but damn.. some nights I'd just want to finish and depending on how much mess we had to clean up it could stretch to 5am but regardless we always used to have to restock the bar before going home :(

It made Tesco shifts go quickly, and the hot drunken women were a bonus, but looking back it was not worth the social sacrifice (being stuck in every weekend).

The money was epic though. As I was only contractually obligated to a Saturday, any time I worked at Tesco was paid time and a half, so over Christmas I'd put myself down for 12-14hr shifts during the week then get night pay from the club on the weekend (which was cash in hand). When you're 18 and earning close to £2000 a month, with no outgoings because you live with your mum you can live like a king :D

Bar closed down after I started Uni, but it was a great laugh.

Caporegime
Temped for a week for Oxford City Council - Refuse collector/Dustbin man.. Holy crap i thought i was gonna die, i was so unfit - pretty non stop work form 6am till 2pm walking and carrying the soggy sacks ;p

Associate
Paper round from age 13 - 16, horribly underpaid, covering someone else's round would leave me out till 10pm STILL trying to find addresses and deliver papers, round card always changing every day "Mrs Smith at number 12 wants a paper Monday, Thursday and Saturdays only but in the 2nd week they want Wednesdays included". Very easy to forget all of that and then wonder why you have an extra paper at the end, lose part of your wages due to forgetting to deliver said paper and going through bicycle inner tubes every week. :D

Soldato
I would have said roofing up until recently. Being a groundsman for a tree surgeon is easily the hardiest work I have ever done.

Soldato
Probably the first job I had after I left YTS, so I was probably just 17. Worked in Gateways in the warehouse for a total of 6 weeks.

The Manager kept making the staff work extra hours unpaid. He tried it with me, but I conveniently had driving lessons that I'd already paid for by the time he asked.

Also, the Assistant Manager decided he didn't like me and picked a fight with me in the warehouse. I got thrown about 10 feet across the floor.

The final straw was when the manager told me (at hometime) that I had to stay and polish the warehouse floor. Told him no chance. He said do it or you're out of a job. I grabbed my stuff and left (Monday), but came in on the Friday to pick up my wage packet. He at least had the decency to pay me a full week's wage.

Soldato
Worked part time in a garden centre while at uni (weekends mostly). Christmas used to be an especially busy period as it required the tying of xmas trees and getting the fake ones from the warehouse pretty much all day. Plus, shops are much better place to work in without those annoying, pesky customers!

I used to go out every friday and saturday nights and come home really drunk at about 3am, then up and out for work at 9am on saturday and sunday! Bloody good job I had parents to drive me there and back as I was in no fit state to drive, but I tended to just mill around on my own for the first two hours looking busy whilst I sobered up a bit.

Man of Honour
Picking runner beans, back in 1982 or 83. Ground level to overhead, over and over again. Bend and stretch, bend and stretch. Cycling to work was fine - I thought nothing of cycling 50 miles in those days and the farm was only 4 or 5 miles away. Cycling back home wasn't fine. I hurt after a day of that work.

I thought it was worth it though, because after 6 weeks working full time for £1/hour I had enough money to buy a ZX Spectrum 48K.

Soldato
collecting trollies at sainsbury's when i was 17.

first half hour was easy as there was no returns. after that, those ****in trollies just kept on coming

Soldato
Waiter. Minimum wage, complete **** of a boss, surprisingly physical, very late nights, terrible people to deal with. I lost two stone. On the plus side the waitresses wore tight trousers.

It is a surprise isn't it. I worked as a waiter for a year and half part time in addition to my full time job and I worked solid for 6 hours on a Sunday and by the end my feet were ready to be amputated. It probably didn't help that I was very overweight at the time and my full time meant sitting at desk all day but even as I got use to it I did notice I was more tired the day after.

The hardest job I've ever done was digging holes. Someone paid me to dig 4 2' cubed holes in their back gardens which took hours and hours of back breaking digging and shovelling. The ground was full of stones and rubble I felt short changed and it turned me right ever getting a career in manual labour and become an accountant instead.

Permabanned
Acting as a consultant I had to write a technical report on a subject I knew very little about... As all good consultants do, I started out with wikipedia+google, progressed to undergrad text books, before putting some creative thinking of my own in and producing a great report. Client was very happy with the result and my company got a follow-up project from it worth a considerable amount of money... Moral of the story; even if you have to work on something you know very little about, if you put the hard slog in then you will eventually get somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom