Hardest job you've ever done?

Soldato
Brewer for Brewdog. 12 hour shifts, hard physical work, often working alone and in horrible cold conditions. The brewery was right next to the North Sea. The town was horrible, and there was nothing to do but drink and do smack. I selected drink. The owners were muppets and didn't seem to care for their employees.

That being said, free beer!

My current one, Home shopping driver. Manager is a goon, long hours of driving, lifting heavy boxes all day. Collegues constantly mucking up a relatively simple task leaving you embarrased at the customers door missing half their shopping.

I'm also a home shopping driver, though not for much longer! It's such an easy job, sure when we do flats it's not great but there's nothing to it. Plus, loads of free time.

Soldato
I'm currently working in a seasonal job for an online retailer. I walk 14+ miles a day, I'm not ever allowed to sit unless it's lunch (20 minutes) or morning break (10 minutes) and even your toilet breaks are monitored.
What did you expect :confused:

Did you expect to get to work in the morning and then sit down for half hour just because you walk there :confused:

Soldato
Heh steveo, just pulled a 13hr day on the spraying.

You want hot... summer of 99, had these galvo walkways to powercoat (400) 3 meters long meter wide.... heavy as hell.

Couldn't get a decent earth, wouldn't stick, so i was dragging them in and out of a 200' oven 4 at a time to do them hot.

For about 2 months it was solid 20/30 degrees, in and out of a oven at 200' handballing these panels weighing about 300kg wearing a full on plastic suit on air fed (nasty trig paint)

hardest job for me.... i was drinking about 10 litres+ at work a day... nightmare.

Soldato
A paper round. :o 1 day covering for a friend while he was on holiday. Wasn't worth the £20 I made (took the best part of the day). He claimed it was the best paying one in the area too!

Soldato
Hardest job in terms of hitting targets is my current one, outbound telesales. However it's also the most rewarding as it is possible to earn more than your actual salary in commission.

Soldato
HGV driver delivering milk to supermarkets in the winter in northen scotland.

half was on cages, the other half was 'hand ball', jumping up and down from the side door, doing the 'smaller' drops.

****ing nightmare, my hands are destroyed by it

Soldato
Hardest job I ever did was cold calling for The Times subscriptions - most of the people we were calling were people who entered Sun competitions...absolutely impossible sell, and often people swearing at you.

Associate
I would say looking for a job and getting a job was the hardest job I have done.

You apply for 100's of jobs, get very few replies, get stressed out when you have no money and doing the dreaded fortnightly demoralising trip to the job centre to get threatened with losing your money and having to sit there for 1/2 hour defending yourself.

Soldato
That was my first thought as well after reading the OP - are they even legally allowed to monitor your toilet breaks?

They've built a huge distribution a few miles up the road from me and seem to be currently working their way through the local area by hiring then firing staff members on minimum wage both from the job centre and through agencies. I've heard they're really bad to work for! :eek:

tesco did the same here , 4500 staff turned over in a couple of years... if you go to the toilet you might aswell quit because the agency will just replace you with someone else thats been promised 40 hours but gets 4

Associate
My current job at this time of year, 2 people doing the work of 4 trying to make sure we finish all orders before Christmas. January makes up for it though when we can slow right down.

Any retail job is crap :(

Lucky I just got out :D

Edited that for you benjo, were you still at asda then or elsewhere?

Last edited:
Soldato
Did a few summers as a groundworker on some residential builds. It was quite satisfying and a good laugh, but Jesus it was hard work.

I remember tarmacing this long path where we couldn't get the diggers in. We had the digger putting a whole bucket of boiling tarmac into wheelbarrows greased up with diesel (got all over the barrow handles too). We had to do the whole path (300ft) before the tarmac cooled (swapping out raking it and dumping it), and it is to this day the hardest thing I've done for money. I was in bed at 9 every night because I was just shattered.

Soldato
i worked in the kitchens of a local pub/ resturant.

hated it as the people in the kitchen wouldnt show me how to prep the dishes or where anything was but would have a go at me when i didnt know.

got to the point where id just not care and would turn up drunk. i quit after 4 weeks

I would say it depends how I define hardest:

Most underpaid job - Age 11-16 I had a paper round, but it took 0 useful hours out my evenings or weekends.
Most rubbish job - McDonalds as I stank and got fat eating junk food all day.
Most physically demanding - Meir Tesco on nights one summer.
Most mentally demanding - My current graduate job as I am expected to get work done (and so I should be!) but I do enjoy what I do.

Back
Top Bottom