Has anybody had any problems with Mayhems X1?

Man of Honour
OP
I can see where you are coming from but I can't do that. First off, it's my problem amd I just want to try to understand what on earth is going on, secondly, I would insist on at least paying the postage charges and lastly, I can get a 1m length of tubing from each of 3 different manufacturers from elsewhere for less than £15 delivered. A extra £15 on top of the rest I have wasted over the past couple of weeks isn't going to break the bank.

Soldato
A useful way to build up the OD of any sort of tube or pipe is to wrap insulation tape around the end. I would put the tube on the fitting so it retains its shape, then wrap a few turns of tape round, until the OD is increased enough for the outer fitting the properly apply the necessary compression on the inner fitting. Should be able to do a neat enough job to keep it looking OK I would have thought. If it snags on the tape as you tighten then maybe add some spit or a small amount of grease to lube it.

Man of Honour
OP
I tried self fusing tape but too little and it still didn't bite and too much and the collar wouldn't fit over it. It also looks bloody awful and to be honest there should be no need to be messing around like that. Any 16/10mm tubing should work with any 16/10mm fittings. That's what they are supposed to be designed to do.

Man of Honour
OP
I tried that but it's practically oval. One way measures 16.1mm the other 15.4mm. Trying to squeeze it back into shape it's 15.8mm od.

My block is starting to clog already!! What the hell is going on here? Everything has been replaced and the rads have been thoroughly cleaned yet here we go again. It's not affecting temps yet so I will keep monitoring it.

That's the top of the block rotated 90 degrees as that's the only way I could get the camera in to take a picture. I got rid of the bubbles just after as well. Those compression fittings are the only two 16/11mm fittings that I managed to force the collars over to tighten them up. It's clogging exactly the same way as before.

Man of Honour
OP
I didn't have the confidence in XT1 to use it again but looking at my picture above it would seem that something other than coolant is causing this problem as I am now on Mayhems Pure H2o with Pulse Modding PH Nuke and it's started again.

Associate
i have been using X1 red and X1 clear in my system for over 2 years with no problems, used primochill LRT tubing with no problems and 4 alphacool rads.

I am now running the mayhems tubing since i have changed a few things and so far no problems.

I only flush my rads and blocks with hot water and then deionised water.

Man of Honour
OP
The 16/10mm tubing for my "experiment" arrived this morning. I ordered a 1m length of both XSPC and Masterkleer tubing to test with these 16/10mm fittings that don't work with the Mayhems 16/10mm tubing. Both new lengths of tubing are gripped better by the competitor branded, Alphacool and EK 16/10mm compression fittings but I could still pull the tubing out of them with a bit more effort than the Mayhems tubing so I still wouldn't be happy using them. The shocking thing was that the Monsoon Chaingun fittings and competitor branded 90 degree rotary 16/10mm compression fittings doesn't grip the tubing at all. Seeing as the Monsoon fittings are not cheap I find this to be quite incredible as they are not fit for purpose.

So now I am stuck with a load of fittings that don't work and I cannot sell on. The Monsoon fittings were bought from OCUK and were on special offer so by the time I return them for a refund I will only clear about a tenner after return postage so it's not worth bothering with. The rest though were bought from a competitor who is based in Germany. I bought them through the UK site but to raise a ticket it's all in German and they refuse to respond to me in English so it look's like I have lost £60 odd with them and will not be buying from them again.

Man of Honour
The 16/10mm tubing for my "experiment" arrived this morning. I ordered a 1m length of both XSPC and Masterkleer tubing to test with these 16/10mm fittings that don't work with the Mayhems 16/10mm tubing. Both new lengths of tubing are gripped better by the competitor branded, Alphacool and EK 16/10mm compression fittings but I could still pull the tubing out of them with a bit more effort than the Mayhems tubing so I still wouldn't be happy using them. The shocking thing was that the Monsoon Chaingun fittings and competitor branded 90 degree rotary 16/10mm compression fittings doesn't grip the tubing at all. Seeing as the Monsoon fittings are not cheap I find this to be quite incredible as they are not fit for purpose.

So now I am stuck with a load of fittings that don't work and I cannot sell on. The Monsoon fittings were bought from OCUK and were on special offer so by the time I return them for a refund I will only clear about a tenner after return postage so it's not worth bothering with. The rest though were bought from a competitor who is based in Germany. I bought them through the UK site but to raise a ticket it's all in German and they refuse to respond to me in English so it look's like I have lost £60 odd with them and will not be buying from them again.

You've proven they're not fit for purpose so surely OcUK should cover the return P+P? Also how did you pay for the ones from the German company, no comeback with PP or CC?

Associate
I had the same thing with Monsoon Chaingun fittings and XSPC tubing, but they grip the Primochill tubing VERY securely, so I don't think it's an issue caused purely by the fittings but more the differences between fittings / tubing that are supposed to be all the same size. The manufactures' really do need to sit down, bang their heads together and agree to work to within set limits, not have some tubing far bigger / smaller than others and fittings that are the same. Get tubing on the larger side and fittings on the smaller side and you're stuffed, with hard earned cash straight in the bin :(

Man of Honour
OP
This isn't just XSPC tubing though. It's also Mayhems and Masterkleer along with four different brands of fittings. I never had this problem before when using 7/16" (16/11mm) compression fittings so why is it so poor with 16/10mm? Like you say, manufacturers need to sit down and agree a solid specification so that the fittings actually work with the size tubing that they are supposed to. It's not as if fittings are cheap either. Unfortunately I don't think that it will ever happen as they only seem to care about themselves and not the customers that are buying their products (Mayhems have been great but they don't sell fittings).

Associate
You'll find its very hard to work with some manufacturers / OEMs because they simply do not want to listen nor do they care to have some advise. We have tried this several times. Some companies you tell them there fittings are inaccurate and have a very large tolerance, they fob you off with an excuse, others you say your tubing is in accurate and out of tolerance they simply ignore you and carry on. As said before if you approach these companies and say some thing.

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got someone to reply to me in English at the German based company. They are taking the fittings back for a full refund. I have to pay the postage but at least I should clear £50 when it's all done with. Lesson learned and I will not be buying from them ever again.

Mick, why it is such a problem with this size (16/10mm) tubing and fittings? I have never had this problem with 7/16" or 1/2" tubing and fittings. The 7/16" tubing and fittings I had before this where so tight that you could have somone stand on the end of some tubing while you pulled for all you are worth and they wouldn't come out yet 16/10mm either barely grips or doesn't grip at all. It would be excellent if you did decide to sell your own fittings at some point.

Soldato
I would assume it's imperial to metric conversion at fault again.
10mm supposedly is 3/8" but that works out as 9.525mm. Half a mil smaller.
11mm supposedly is 7/16" but that works out as 11.1125. A fraction larger

Would it help if we started a sort of database of actual fitting sizes? If so, this is what I have to hand:

EK-ACF 13/10mm (soft tubing)
Shaft: 12.36mm
Barb (max): 13.00mm
Collar(internal diameter): 14.05mm

EK-HDC 12mm (hard tubing)
Socket: 12.06mm
Collar: 12.20mm

Tubing (really hard to measure accurately but best attempts)

Primochill 13/10
OD: 12.75 - 13.20mm (not circular)
ID: 9.30 - 9.50

Tygon E3603
OD: 12.5 - 12.9mm
ID: 9.4 - 9.6mm

E22 hardline
OD: 12.02mm +/- 0.02
ID: 10.15mm

Mayhems 12mm glass
OD: 11.90mm +/-0.02
ID: 7.53mm +/-0.02

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to hear your getting a refund for the Monsoon fitting pasty, maybe if enough people complained they might do something about it.

Surely the German Company who makes the Monsoon fittings test them porperly with different makes of 16/10 tubing, apparently not.

So much for German efficiency.

Man of Honour
OP
It's not the Monsoon fittings I am getting a refund on. They were bought from OCUK and were only £14 for the set of 4 so I am taking the hit on them as by the time I pay for return postage it's not worth the hassle. I am getting a refund for the £63 assortment of fittings that I bought.

What I can't believe is that it's started to clog again as shown in the photo a few posts up. How is this even possible when everything is new or been stripped down and cleaned and/or had yet another full treatment with Mayhems Blitz Pro kit? I think I may need to come up with some sort of dual filter (like on a boat) that is easily switched between the two for cleaning purposes.

Back
Top Bottom