Has anybody had any problems with Mayhems X1?

Associate
We have had a lot of fittings over the years and we can tell you that some manufacturers fitting are not relay fit for purpose and some are spot on, same goes for tubing. There fitting from the same batch can be any ware up to 0.4mm out, take this into account some tubing can be up to .5mm out then you have up to a 0.9mm tolerance between fittings and tubing. Our tolerance is some thing like 0.2mm (im not at work its Sunday but will check it once i get back). Its virtualy impossible to get it any lower due to the way tubing is manufactured and if we wish to get it lower the cost would increase by more than 4x its factor due to wastage.

I understand its difficult to QC things from afar say the company is based in USA , they ship from there OEM manufacturer in China and they have to trust the company in china is doing the QC they need. All fittings should have a tolerance rating and this should be published in there sales documentation for web sites to re produce. Now taking a quick look though oem manufacturer web sites they produce this information, take a look though manufacturers web sites they do not show this information and this information is not passed onto web retailers and shops. I have just checked our web site and we have done the same how ever i will rectify this and get this information up on our site asap.

More transparency is needed in PC liquid cooling market and you can only fix this by approaching manufacturers / producers and asking them to show the information you need, so you can make an informed decision based on facts. If those facts they produce on there sites do not meet the end product then you can refute said facts and point out mistakes and the manufacturers then can work on them. It is all ways best to approach the manufacturer / producer directly and speak to them rather then just posting on the web as manufacturers need to gather this information and fix any issues that may appear.

In the mean time there is a simple cheap fix. If your fitting and tubing slide off each other, you can slip in a small 0-ring to add more compression on the outer wall of the tube. this will fix the problem at your end. Don't forget though some fittings are metric measurements and some are imperial measurements so you may all ways find a discrepancy between fitting and tubing if you don't match them up correctly.

Man of Honour
OP
Pasty just fyi I use mayhems tubing 16/10 and the cheap XSPC 16/10 black chrome barbs and they fit nicely, i.e you can't pull the tubing out of the barb no matter how hard you pull them.

Barbs are fine it's the compression fittings that won't grip the tubing. I don't really want to use barbs in the case though as they look terrible once you use hose clips or clamps to secure the hose (I would have to do that as I would be paranoid else. I still used clips/clamps when using 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs).

You are very right about more transparency in the water cooling market but unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen. What manufacturers need to consider is that we are trusty their products with hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds worth of components which could be damaged or even destroyed by a product that is simply not fit for purpose.

Soldato
Barbs are fine it's the compression fittings that won't grip the tubing. I don't really want to use barbs in the case though as they look terrible once you use hose clips or clamps to secure the hose (I would have to do that as I would be paranoid else. I still used clips/clamps when using 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs).

Sorry Pasty these are what I use:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £5.73
(includes shipping: £2.74)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think those are the same fittings that Pastymuncher has already had problems with the coin slot destroying threads in blocks.

Yes they are. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after they screwed my block up.

This has been mentioned before about the coin slot destroying threads in blocks, its due to to a burr on the slot thats not been spotted by xspc quality control.

If you happen to get one try filling the coin slots edges to get rid of any burrs.

Soldato
Useful to know...but disturbing to hear that it's happened before and they haven't sorted it. Still confused as to why they put a coin slot on the thread side of the fitting; who's got a coin on the inside of their block?! :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Back up and running at last although not in the way I wanted to. The Monsoon chaingun fittings finally arrived yesterday (RM 2nd class took 4 days!!) and even though they are 15/9mm they still don't grip Mayhems 10/16mm tubing. This tubing is lovely to work with but I spent over £75 on new fittings from 4 different manufacturers and with all of them the Mayhems tubing can easily be pulled out. I set up a basic loop yesterday in a large plastic tub as I had no faith that the fittings would do the job. When I filled the loop and turned the pump on I was proved right and most of them leaked. In the end I plumbed it all together using 1/2" barbs which looks bloody awful but at least I am running again. I just used Mayhems pure H2o that they sent me along with some Pulse Modding PH Nuke. I may swap to the XT1 they sent me at some point but I need my faith restoring in water cooling before I do that.

The past week and a half has been extremely frustrating, especially after wasting more money on fittings that don't work with this tubing, long waits for postage to arrive and at times I have been tempted to just give up and try air cooling. The problem with that is that I would have to move out of my pc room which is just two cupboards knocked into one 5"x6" room. It's big enough for my needs and has no window so I get no glare. That is also the problem and the whole reason I went watercooling in the first place. It get very hot in here when air cooling and with my rads mounted in their box on the landing windowsill they get the heat out of my room. To go back to air cooling means I would have to move my setup into the spare bedroom and I just couldn't make it work as well for me as this room does. This is why I stuck with it for one last go. If it happens again though I am done. I have wasted enough money on this folly now just for it to keep happening over and over again.

Soldato
Contacted XSPC Support asking if >XSPC EC6 Coolant Clear, XSPC ECX Ultra Concentrate Coolant Clear contained Ethylene Glycol and the reply was No.

EK-Ekoolant EVO does contain ethylene glycol.

The vast majority of coolants are ethylene glycol based.

Man of Honour
OP
Drangueos, can you let us know your opinions on that tubing please? I saw that before but ruled it out after I read something about it but can't remember why now.

I am going to do a experiment to try to see what the hell is going on with this tubing and fitting incompatibility I have had. I am going to order a 1m length of tubing from 3 different manufacturers to see if the fittings work with them. This is bugging me now and I need to see what's going on.

Associate
Massive difference between makes, originally I was going to use XSPC tubing but it was loose on the barb & the compression fitting also did a sweet FA, so could pull it off VERY easily. Switched to PrimoChill and the supposedly same size tubing was difficult to get on the barb (far better!) and also the compression fitting holds it that tight 8 Pack would struggle to pull it off!

Associate
Maybe one day we will look into fittings specifically for Mayhems tubing?

We are well know for our coolants, tubing and every thing else we do but the fitting market is another ball game and you have to buy in large amounts with little to no profit and then sell them. Not easy in such a small overly flooded market.

Soldato
Will do.
But I'm not cleaning my loop now, next month hopefully :p

I believe that the problem was with putting the tubing onto fittings. If I remember correctly, it was something like you can put the tubing onto a fitting but once you remove it, you have to cut a piece off before putting it back on again or it will just come off or leak. I've not used this stuff so just bear in mind that this is something I have vague recollection of reading and may be utterly inaccurate. Could be worth a try if you have a spare fitting lying about though.

Man of Honour
OP
Pasty can send you some Tygon r-3400+Primochill 16/11 if you want to test.

Never had any issues with xspc tubing with compression fittings.

Many thanks for the kind offer but it needs to be 16/10mm for a direct comparison to the Mayhems tubing. I wish I stuck with the 16/11mm tubing now but as they didn't do that size I decided (rather stupidly) to switch sizes so that if this happens again everything is Mayhems.

Associate
I think those are the same fittings that Pastymuncher has already had problems with the coin slot destroying threads in blocks.
pastymuncher said:
Yes they are. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after they screwed my block up.
OLDPHART said:
This has been mentioned before about the coin slot destroying threads in blocks, its due to to a burr on the slot thats not been spotted by xspc quality control.

If you happen to get one try filling the coin slots edges to get rid of any burrs.

I posted about the issue regarding the XSPC fittings back in May 2014:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18599656

But not many people seemed to comment on it, so I thought it was just me not being careful enough.

Associate
I have noticed on sites that the xspc fitting now are marked as "Mk 2" Wondering if they have made some changes?

I use the xspc 16/10 black chrome ones with mayhems tubing and never had any issues, admittedly I bought mine in the last year.

Hope you get to the bottom of your issues Pasty, I having massive woes myself,
Moved to an external rad set up (Sounds similar to yours) and just had my D5 Pump freeze on me.
Thus I'm pc less until payday :(

Might go Ehiem large pump next time, I worry that a D5 with two massive external rads might be struggling...

Back
Top Bottom