Has anybody had any problems with Mayhems X1?

Associate
Well just been doing a bit online research its amazing how hard it is to get a Datasheet on PC coolants XSPC, EK Koolant, etc to see what they contain especially Ethylene Glycol or alike.

Ethylene Glycol is corrosive and if a PC coolant contains this it should have a warming saying it could effect your tubing on the container.

On my first custom loop l used EC6 Clear and had no issues what so ever, after two years my temps were the same.

https://mayhems.co.uk/files/msds-sheets/X1/5ltr/X1-UV-Blue-5-Ltr-SDS.pdf
1 minute in google.

Its illegal to not hand out MSDS / SDS sheets for coolants or have them accessible, you can request them from the manufacturers and if the product is sold in the EU its should follow strict REACH regulations. If not the company can be fined upwards of £20,000 and face a 5 year jail sentence.

Mayhems is fully REACH complaint. This has been checked and we also follow USA guidelines and china guide lines too. We are also working towards ISO 9001.

After this i have still 3 ltr that goes to trash, simply that.

At least it's my fault, i've should read all specifications from your web page and from primochill, but of course that's makes me take a decission as customer no more mayhem products for me anymore.

It's a good idea in this situations and knowing that primochill is one of the most used tubbing an advice of compatibility of your product as well as primochill should do the same. And a good practice btw:mad:

Well you even have a rep on a forum, primochill has answered too, thanks to go through this line.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
You could also lay the blame with just about every retailer that sells Primochill tubing as none of them (OCUK included) can be bothered to display the warning about using Ethylene Glycol coolants. It's widely recommended on many forums yet the retailers only put the good points in the product description. You shouldn't have to search manufacturers sites to find out information that should be available at the point of sale. It's tubing not a cpu or gpu!! This has cost me around £100 in Primochill tubing alone over the past year or so.

This has nothing to do with flux in the rads in my case as both rads had Blitz pro run through them from new plus (including this time) a further two treatments of Blitz pro. They are sparkling inside!!

Associate
You could also lay the blame with just about every retailer that sells Primochill tubing as none of them (OCUK included) can be bothered to display the warning about using Ethylene Glycol coolants. It's widely recommended on many forums yet the retailers only put the good points in the product description. You shouldn't have to search manufacturers sites to find out information that should be available at the point of sale. It's tubing not a cpu or gpu!! This has cost me around £100 in Primochill tubing alone over the past year or so.

This has nothing to do with flux in the rads in my case as both rads had Blitz pro run through them from new plus (including this time) a further two treatments of Blitz pro. They are sparkling inside!!

well i had similar issues to your first post, i was desperate because didn't find the issue (thx dude).

now i have all loop drained and i'm cleaning all my rads, blocks; my wife's pc (watercooled too) is in the same condition while i'm waiting new tubbing, i will be going to destilled water but looking for a good premix free of glycol.

Soldato
I imagine you may struggle to find that data or else you could knock it up in your sink rather than buy it, Ethylene Glycol isn't corrosive though.

Expert Forums: Corrosion

Topic: Re: What causes corrosion from ethylene glycol?
28 January 2009 posed by

I have limited experience with aluminum alloys so I am not sure of the reaction products or the exact corrosion mechanism in this case. However, most corrosion caused by ethylene glycol is related to its decomposition to organic acids (such as glycolic acid) especially under elevated temperatures. The corrosion of aluminum alloy in the presence of ethylene glycol is most likely a result of acidic attack by these acids. It is known that impurities often found in ethylene glycol/water mixtures, such as ferric, copper, and chloride ions, can accelerate this corrosion. Corrosion problems with ethylene glycol/water mixtures can be minimized or eliminated by using ethylene glycol that contains inhibitors. Most commercial ethylene glycols sold contain these corrosion inhibitors. It is not generally recommended to use uninhibited ethylene glycols for heat transfer applications. If uninhibited ethylene glycol is used, it must be used with caution and carefully monitored.

http://www.chemicalprocessing.com/experts/corrosion/show/373/

Man of Honour
Water causes corrosion, it's not a corrosive in the sense you see it stated in a material data sheet which is probably why it's not mentioned.

Man of Honour
OP
New problem and I am really ****** off about this. None of the 10/16mm compression fittings I bought work with Mayhems 10/16mm tubing!! The tubing easily pulls out of the fittings even when tightened up fully. What a waste of time and money!! Not sure what to do now.

Associate
New problem and I am really ****** off about this. None of the 10/16mm compression fittings I bought work with Mayhems 10/16mm tubing!! The tubing easily pulls out of the fittings even when tightened up fully. What a waste of time and money!! Not sure what to do now.

I know what you mean mine is in pieces atm, because of pastel orange changing colour after 3 days use :(

Used the blitz pro kit and followed instructions to the letter and ended in a mess.

Had the same problem as you, as all my fittings are bitspower 16/11.
Mayhems sent me new tube and I can get them on my fitting with lock collar tightened up.

Was made easier by putting in hot di water first.

Soldato

Hi pastry read this about Tygon tubing 16/11 comes in black might help you>Tygon R-3400 Tubing

http://www.pooleyinc.com/pdf/tygon.pdf

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the link but that's even more expensive than the Primochill stuff. I am done with expensive tubing. The way I am feeling at the moment the whole ******* thing can go in the bin. First one problem, then another and then another. I have been watercooling for around 10 years and up until last year had no problems. Since then I have had nothing but problems.

Soldato

Mayhems tubes are on the softer side but never heard of slipping off compression fitting.

Which compression fitting are you using.

Soldato
Thanks for the link but that's even more expensive than the Primochill stuff. I am done with expensive tubing. The way I am feeling at the moment the whole ******* thing can go in the bin. First one problem, then another and then another. I have been watercooling for around 10 years and up until last year had no problems. Since then I have had nothing but problems.

I paid £4.99 mtre TYgon r-3400 16/11 tubing.

Associate

as i've said to you before dude, forgot about x1, like xtremrigs said i will go with destilled plus colour

Associate
Is primochill+ x1 coolant a confirmed recipe for disaster then? I been using that combo for 14 months(7 since the last swapping out of tubing//setup) had no decrease in loop performance over that time or build up in the blocks i have noticed (when i last changed my tubing//setup)

Man of Honour
OP
Mayhems tubes are on the softer side but never heard of slipping off compression fitting.

Which compression fitting are you using.

Compression fittings are now a mix of competitor branded ones, Alphacool and EK. The tubing comes easily off all of them which makes me think that it's not actually 16mm OD. I suspect that it's been rounded up as 3/8"x5/8" seems to be 9/15mm. I am going to order some of the Monsoon chain gun fittings that are on offer as they are the correct size. If this is the case then I am really fed up with Mayhems as I have wasted £60 on new fittings that are no good.

I paid £4.99 mtre TYgon r-3400 16/11 tubing.

Still too much. If you have gone through this as often as I have £5 a metre soon adds up to a lot of money.

as i've said to you before dude, forgot about x1, like xtremrigs said i will go with destilled plus colour

Coolant is nothing to do with my latest problems and there is no way in hell I would ever use distilled/deionised water in a loop without a additive. That's just asking for problems.

Soldato
Hi pasty, if i remember you said you use 5/6mtr + the compresson fittings on top so yes it will be costly for you.

I'v got a mix of old and new xspc fittings and the Tygon tubing is a tight fit with out the compression ring screwed on, with the ring screwed on either old or new fitting its hard to pull the tubing off.

Have you raised the issue about the tubing coming off the new fittings with OCUK as the tubing or fitting is not fit for purpose?

The only fittings l find un-reliable is the angled ones where the rotating joint is to loss and it weeps.

As for coolant will be going back to XSPC EC6 pre-mix never had any issue's with that even after two years of use.

As for cleaning radiators l just used clear vineger+deionized water mix then flushed out with deionezed, using XT-1+Primochill tubing was the first problem l'v ever had.

I agree using just distilled/deionised water in a loop without anti corrosion
/algae additive is asking for issue's..

Man of Honour
OP
This has nothing to do with OCUK. The tubing was part of the bundle resulting from my support ticket with Mayhems and the fittings were from a competitor. I have emailed the place I got the fittings from and hopefully they will let me return them.

Soldato
Pasty just fyi I use mayhems tubing 16/10 and the cheap XSPC 16/10 black chrome barbs and they fit nicely, i.e you can't pull the tubing out of the barb no matter how hard you pull them.

Back
Top Bottom