• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD 79xx Prices

Maybe, but I am a hugely impatient person :D

Perhaps by that time I can talk myself into keeping my current cards no matter what...

Was just so hoping for 1200 core. Not even sure now I can get 1160 at decent temps/volts.

The Sapphire 7970 OC's are looking very tempting to me currently.

1160/1200= 0.96666666 X 100= 96.66666%

You are really worrying over 3.4% clock difference, which will equate to effectively zip in games?

7950 price only start to be become a bit more "reasonable" when they are at below £300....ANY 7950 over £300 is not "good value" and still is too expensive for what it is.

I paid 370 quid for my overclocked custom cooler 7950 so 335 is good value for a similar specced card with stonking performance.
My opinion is based on current pricing not on what someone would like to pay!

Yes it's one of the better 7950's but if the prices in post #1 are anything to go by you could get a reference 7970 for just £25 more.

7950 price only start to be become a bit more "reasonable" when they are at below £300....ANY 7950 over £300 is not "good value" and still is too expensive for what it is.

+1.

What makes you think either AMD or nVidia are interested in a price war?

If their cards aren't selling compared to their competitors what choice do they have? at current prices GTX680 has clearly been the buyers favourite but with 7970 at £350 or less I can't see many GTX680 selling at the current prices.

Haven't both companies made it abundantly clear lately that they are happier pricing their cards the same, and charging as much as they think they can?

Well if that's the case why are AMD dropping the price of 7970?

Is the Sapphire 7950 @ £335.99 the best price or will it go down in the next couple of days. I have no idea what is going on with prices but not going to buy if it drops in a few days... ?

You are really worrying over 3.4% clock difference, which will equate to effectively zip in games?

I came to my senses today.

Have been chasing highest possible OC, and today while chasing the highest possible OC, it dawned on me that the noise from the very high OC's would mean I would never run them.

So have decided on a more sane OC of 1125, which is 25% over stock (900 on DCU II), roughly 40% over reference, which with the DCU II coolers and I can keep both cards under 70 with minimal noise.

Going 7970 probably wouldn't gain me a thing, if I had to take noise into consideration at high overclolcks.

7970 wouldn't gain you anything? Well if you've overclocked your 7950 massively to get to 7970 performance (stock) then a 7970 would overclock a lot further so you would see a gain.

7970 wouldn't gain you anything? Well if you've overclocked your 7950 massively to get to 7970 performance (stock) then a 7970 would overclock a lot further so you would see a gain.

But I would run into the same problem of noise generated from fans when trying to push 7970 higher, so probably still wouldn't be able to go much higher than I can with my current cards.

Sure some people get golden chips, but I am not on of the luckiest of people :D

Back
Top Bottom