• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD 79xx Prices

Soldato
From my point of view it looks like AMD are giving the consumer a question: do you want value performance or excellent performance at premium price. Good idea, hope it works and forces nvidia to reduce price of 680

Associate
£360 is definitely a decent price for the 7970, especially considering that the 680 has jumped up to around £440-460 given the high demand - with that sort of difference in price there is absolutely no doubt that AMD offers better value. However, AMD should have had these prices BEFORE the 680 launched as it strikes me as too little too late.

Soldato
Looks like my 7950 order is going back and it hasn't even arrived yet (not from OCUK)! It was cheap relatively speaking but I'll go for the MSI 7950 TFIII I really wanted now or a 7970. One more order coming your way Gibbo ;)

Associate
£360 is definitely a decent price for the 7970, especially considering that the 680 has jumped up to around £440-460 given the high demand - with that sort of difference in price there is absolutely no doubt that AMD offers better value. However, AMD should have had these prices BEFORE the 680 launched as it strikes me as too little too late.

Well it would strike you as that, since you have already bought a 680 and if you had waited could have bought a similar performance card for cheaper. I am sure you will say you was never considering a HD7970 anyway. ;)

Yes the prices should have been that, as that's more what they are worth. But unfortunately they are in the business to make money and knew a lot of us had no willpower to wait for prices to stabilize.

On another note, thanks Gibbo for making some effort to reduce the prices of these cards. If it was payday today and not on the 26th I would almost certainly buy two Sapphire OC's.

Associate
Bah I just knew this would happen, I take weeks to make my mind up which card to buy and it drops in price by £30 afew days affter I bought it lol.

Kick ass card guys
Sapphire HD 7970 OC 3072MB Only 7 left @ £399 :D

Ok now I have done a shameless bit of advertiseing, any chance I could get my £30 back ^^

Soldato
The question now is 7950 or 7970? As the 7950's will clock to 7970 speeds that might be the better option. If the 680's dropped below £400 I could be tempted but I don't see that happening given they have been selling out...

Soldato
The stock levels may stabilise now. I mean bar a few die hard AMD preachers (dave_beast) and people who wanted more VRAM (dave_beast), if you were buying at the point the 680 came out I think most people would go for the 680.

Now it's different. I have no brand loyalty at all and if I was buying now I would get a cheaper 7970. Not to say I'm disappointed I didn't wait until now to buy or anything it's just there isn't much between the cards when max overclocked so you would naturally go for the cheaper option.

I'm very happy with my 680 :)

Permabanned
The question now is 7950 or 7970? As the 7950's will clock to 7970 speeds that might be the better option. If the 680's dropped below £400 I could be tempted but I don't see that happening given they have been selling out...

^ This, However for an extra £60 I think the performance will be worth it, even if you're overclocking the 7950 to 7970 speeds the 7970 will overclock even further say - 1125/1575

Associate
Bah I just knew this would happen, I take weeks to make my mind up which card to buy and it drops in price by £30 a few days affter I bought it lol.

Same here, i bought an MSI twin frozr iii 7950 10 days ago at considerably more than it is now. I had to buy in the easter period as it is the only time I will be home for delivery on a weekday but man I should have waited.

Que sera sera

Associate
The stock levels may stabilise now. I mean bar a few die hard AMD preachers (dave_beast) and people who wanted more VRAM (dave_beast), if you were buying at the point the 680 came out I think most people would go for the 680.

Now it's different. I have no brand loyalty at all and if I was buying now I would get a cheaper 7970. Not to say I'm disappointed I didn't wait until now to buy or anything it's just there isn't much between the cards when max overclocked so you would naturally go for the cheaper option.

I have to admit I have a slight AMD/ATI preference and can't rationally explain why. Fanboy denial by me? LOL.

I will say that once the GTX 680 came out I was more tempted to try a green card again. Now AMD prices are being lowered I am considering another red one. I keep on changing my mind each time a new card comes out, or a price change happens. Ugh, I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.

Soldato

You've misquoted me, I never said anything about vram requirements, I just like having a faster card thanks :) enjoy your 680 like I enjoy my 7970 kthxbai

^ This, However for an extra £60 I think the performance will be worth it, even if you're overclocking the 7950 to 7970 speeds the 7970 will overclock even further say - 1125/1575

The 7970 can clock to 1200/1750 with minimum tweaks, at which point the 680 cannot be overclocked to compete with it's performance.

Back
Top Bottom