• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD 79xx Prices

I can run both my 7970's at 1.3ghz on the core and 1.2ghz at default volts for everyday use which I do (watercooled).

I would still take a 680 SLI over my setup as I really dislike ATI drivers.

I am more than happy with my setup atm for the price I paid.

For me you were looking at 10% lower performance for 25-35% lower prices depending on the card, or from the other perspective, a 5870 cost you 50% more, and only offered 10% more performance than a 5850. The fact is that you can barely see the 10% performance and if that isn't enough, then really 5850 xfire would be a hugely better performance increase and again vastly better value, and there are so few setups where 5870xfire would have made any difference over 5850 xfire, because there is so much performance most of the time you're cpu limited anyway.

In other words, the 7970 and 680gtx suck balls, are horrible value and not remotely worth thinking about. 7950 at £300 is so much better value, and frankly 7850 xfire even more again, etc, etc.

I agree on price/performance the top end doesn't make a lot of sense. Personally the biggest barrier was the £400 one, if I can get a decent 7970 below that mark I can justify it. Besides which I have that much cash available to buy one. Plus the fact I'm gaming at 1440p every little helps at that resolution and I really don't want the potential hassle that comes with Crossfire/SLI.

Looking forward to see what Gibbo comes up with so I can finally see this monitor at its best:cool:

Really wish the price would soon drop to the reasonable price level of:
7970: £360
7950: £260~280
7870: £200~220
7850: £160~£170

But the 78xx probably won't fall in price, until Nvidia release something at sub-£200 range to shake things up like the GTX560Ti back then.

I am disappointed with the prices of the new cards... I had 2 6950 xfire for an eyefinity rig. Ran everything other than bf3 just fine! Unfortunately bf3 is my main game these days!

I sold one of the 6950s and got a 6990 second hand for 300 pounds on a very well known auction site. The system now smashes bf3 in eyefinity. I run everything maxxed accept anti aliasing and motion blur and it never dips below 60 fps.

It seems very close performance to x2 7970s in xfire.

And cost me much much less.

More power hungry pc though...

If the new cards were that little more reasonably priced I would have gone for the newest cards. But 800 odd quid for 2 gpus is mental.

With this news I am really considering upgrading to a MSI Twin Frozr 7950.

Seeing as you guys will be more in the know about current events than myself, would going from my 5870 (which has served me well) to this 7950 be worthwhile enough for me?

I game at 1920x1200 and I do like my eyecandy. The 1gb of memory I have on my 5870 has been an issue a few times, as well as the cards obvious limits with newer games.

With this news I am really considering upgrading to a MSI Twin Frozr 7950.

Seeing as you guys will be more in the know about current events than myself, would going from my 5870 (which has served me well) to this 7950 be worthwhile enough for me?

I game at 1920x1200 and I do like my eyecandy. The 1gb of memory I have on my 5870 has been an issue a few times, as well as the cards obvious limits with newer games.

Here's a rough guide :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=511

Thanks arc.

My 5870 is overclocked but I would get an even better overclock on the 7950 I reckon, so with that in mind I think an upgrade is incoming!

Last edited:
Thanks arc.

My 5870 is overclocked but I would get an even better overclock on the 7950 I reckon, so with that in mind I think an upgrade is incoming!

Yes, very true. The performance boost when at stock is quite substantial, but when overclocked there will be a very noticeable difference. :)

I sold one of the 6950s and got a 6990 second hand for 300 pounds on a very well known auction site. The system now smashes bf3 in eyefinity. I run everything maxxed accept anti aliasing and motion blur and it never dips below 60 fps.

It seems very close performance to x2 7970s in xfire.

Well I have 1 680 and I have anti aliasing maxed and I don't dip under 60 apart from very occasionally so it's not that impressive is it really?

I'm not willy waving or anything but come on, you aren't even max settings. Hardly warrants shouting from the rooftop about :p

Well I have 1 680 and I have anti aliasing maxed and I don't dip under 60 apart from very occasionally so it's not that impressive is it really?

I'm not willy waving or anything but come on, you aren't even max settings. Hardly warrants shouting from the rooftop about :p

Is that over 3 screens as well?

Back
Top Bottom