HDD or SSD for games

Soldato
Yo,

So I have a 500GB SSD specifically for games, and I can only really get a handful on it these days, and I'm terrible for picking random games to play and not sticking to a couple only. And living out in the sticks, deleting and uninstalling is out of the question as it takes an age!

Anyway, I could snap up a 4TB HDD to put alongside the SSD and use the 4TB drive for the majority of games, such as Skyrim, Mass Effect etc, stuff that doesn't really depend upon read speeds. And use the SSD for online games like For Honor, BF1 etc.

Or is it not worth getting a mechanical drive? Will I regret going back to a 7,200rpm drive? It's read is 172mb/s, which, once you take the marketing guff off. It's realistically something like 150mb/s.

Unsure!

Soldato
OP
If your broadband connection is slow you can keep a library of games on a mech drive and move them over to your ssd when you want to play.

I work in IT, the main priority for my home PC is to get it working so I never have to tinker with it. The idea of having to transfer files back and forth is just a pain in the arse that I'd rather avoid.

Associate
Then you'll know about robocopy. There are also other tools to do it for you.

Having the files somewhere local versus having to download them again on a poop connection is a no-brainier surely?

Definitely stay with an SSD. If you possibly can, get another SSD to install games onto.

How have you managed to fill 500GB? I have about 10 games installed, plus windows, Photoshop, a few other things, still plenty room left. I'm assuming you've redirected all your docs, music, videos, temp folders, page file etc onto a mechanical HDD to save space?

Soldato
SSD for everything except documents and downloads. I got a 1TB drive and never really have to mess around uninstalling or reinstalling. Got about 110 games installed.

Don
I work in IT, the main priority for my home PC is to get it working so I never have to tinker with it. The idea of having to transfer files back and forth is just a pain in the arse that I'd rather avoid.

Ha, I have the exact same view. Set things up once and never have to fiddle with them again.

Soldato

Then buy a bigger SSD or have slower load times with a mech drive.

I just delete games on my SSD now, internet is so quick if I want to re-download it doesn't really matter.

Soldato

You don't transfer games games back and forth every time you play, you keep a library and only transfer a few games that you are playing to the ssd. How many games do you need to be installed at one time?

Personally I would just buy more ssd storage, I have 2tb worth on my gaming rig and no mech drives at all.

Associate
I transfer games back and forth to my SSD from a normal HD quite a bit. Never found it too much of a hassle, although a lot of load times are perfectly acceptable on the normal HD

Last edited:
Soldato

You're not really transferring back and forth. Your HDD acts like a cloud, and transferring the files over when you want to play that specific game will be faster than downloading with 200MB internet connection.

• Decide which game you want to play
  • Copy it from HDD to your Steam folder on SSD
  • Go to Steam library and "install" the game
  • Steam will find the existing files and the game will be ready to play in under a minute.
If you think that's a hassle, then I'm not sure what alternative solution is open to you other than buy more SSD's. Obviously, you can store them all on the HDD and play direct from it, but as mentioned above the process to get them onto your SSD is quick and easy, so why wouldn't you?

Soldato
Hi OP.

I have a similar situation to you although mine comes from simply disliking having to redownload stuff.

I have a tiny 120gb nvme drive with one game installed because it is my main slice at the moment.

And I have a 5TB drive with 900gb free on it, the rest is all games. This is a really pretty slow 5400rpm nas drive and I personally never have any issues or complaints regarding loading times or the likes.

A few games enjoy faster drives and those are worth having on a SSD like arma for instance.

But hdds really are still adequate for the mass storage of games :)

Hope this might help you decide.

Back
Top Bottom