HDD or SSD for games

Soldato
OP
Hahahhahahhaa please stop commenting on things you have no idea about.. which is pretty much every thread/reply you make on these forums.. I cringe at every post I've seen of yours.. some of the **** you type/ask is embarrassing.

That's cool. Back to the blacklist for you kiddo. Note, most people thing you're a **** due to your obnoxious posts. Maybe you should read your own **** before commenting on others lol. Pathetic.

Associate
That's cool. Back to the blacklist for you kiddo. Note, most people thing you're a **** due to your obnoxious posts. Maybe you should read your own **** before commenting on others lol. Pathetic.

Having seen just one of his posts, I'm inclined to agree...

Soldato
OP
This video is interesting as it has NVMe vs SATA SSD vs HDD load times.

1:30min onwards for game loads.

That's pretty cool, filled me with confidence a bit. I'm dreading the extra load times a little from the new drive. But realistically, I doubt I'll care about a few seconds here and there.

Associate
SSD is pretty much a must for online gaming now I think, well for some games anyway. I have a few on my SSD but H1Z1 King of the Hill for example is on my mech drive, when I finally load into the game in my parachute people are already on the ground killing people. I should test this really and put H1Z1 on my SSD.

Soldato
Very interesting video.

I am a data hoarder, and it troubles me to delete anything.

In respect of my system I have the following.

OS = 128GB SSD
STEAM = 6tb HDD
ORIGIN/UPLAY = 3tb HDD

+ multiple external drives I use for media

I have another SSD (128GB) that is just used as a drive to put one or two games.

100% there is a difference with my OS load times, but I havent got enough space on my SSDS to really install games to see if there is much of a difference.

Associate
I only have a 128GB booth SSD and a 1th HDD. I think in the Ryzen build its time to retire the HDD thats for sure. These NVMe drives are so expensive though

Soldato
I'm sorry but surely that video completely settles any arguments.

I had the notion that for gaming the difference between an SSD vs HDD was so minimal that it's not worth spending mega bucks on a TB+ SSD and that video literally proves it down to the 't'.

Made some people shrink right back into their dark corners. Haha. Nice post mate!

Last edited:
Associate
it really depends on the game, with my dads car games with the massive amount of mods he has (15ogb for some games) (stock game being about 3-6gb) that check cars but not tracks on load, ssd does make a big difference for them

Soldato
Yeah but that's still to the extent of being so niche is it worth sacrificing the money and not having your entire library accessible immediately. Personally I think it contributes to people having a massive backlog, they might pose it as "simple" but my time is at an absolute premium and I certainly would rather play a game than wait for a 50 GB transfer and pseudo install.

Soldato
SSD for games definitely. I got one of the M2 drives (960 EVO) for OS and it really is fast but I don’t notice much difference between loading games on it and my normal Samsung SSD (850 EVO). I think the 850 EVO just loads games so quickly you don’t need much more than that.

Then I have a 6TB WD HDD for everything else – I have a few old games on it and it’s actually fine.

Soldato
The big thing is if its repeatedly loaded, you want the SSD. Some games are using the HD for large textures actively loading during gameplay in the background. If the game loads just once then HD is often fine, the H1z1 example mentioned however rings true that some games give advantage to loading speed.
1 point on Vega I noticed recently seemed to favour having a very fit and able loading system, maybe we'll get details later today to back me up on that. At least have the option of a compact but very fast load time imo, a lot of games it wont ever really matter though

Back
Top Bottom