HDD or SSD for games

Soldato
OP
Why? Why would this cause any issues whatsoever?

Because I can freely wipe my OS drive when ever I need? All my documents, pictures etc folders are directed to my mechanical 1TB drive. All my games on my SSD. So if I wanted, I can go home and boot up a nice fresh image and be done within 20 minutes whilst having a shower?

Why you would junk up a drive with everything is beyond me.

And to answer the question "Why would you need to format", because I'm weird like that, I do it about once every couple of months. As for programs, ninite has 90% of the every day stuff I use and the rest is neatly stored in a 'build' folder I've got on my 1TB drive including a script to auto install drivers (which I update when new drivers come out). So it literally takes me 2 minutes to get the boot from USB going, 10 mins to build, 5 mins to install everything. Done...

Soldato
I have just installed a 1tb samsung 850 ssd for games,not impressed to be honest,im swapping it back out for a 2tb hard drive and selling it,a normal hard drive is good enough if you ask me.

Soldato
Yeah me too, i havent had an HDD since 2013 but i only use the PC for games and i have a fast fibre connection so i dont need much space as i just download games when i wanna play them, if ya have a poor connection then i guess ya would wanna keep all your games handy and if your steam library is anything like mine then that would be a little expensive on SSD :)
I should uninstall the games I don't play much but I just keep adding more drives, I'm up to 3 totaling 1tb.

I keep all of my media/backups on another 'server' PC.

Caporegime
Why would I do that

C: (OS) 64GB SSD
D: (Games) 1TB Western Digital Black

I can wipe the SSD, if I get BSOD which kills the OS, or a virus, or if change from one Windows version to another, and the games are still there.

How often do you reformat the OS that it makes having such a tiny OS drive convenient? :confused:

All my game installs are on the same 1TB SSD drive as the OS as it by far provides the best performance (especially when you have downloads or transfers running on the data drive), and all my of personal documents and files are held/backup up on my mechanical data drive and then to my NAS.

Of course budget is also a factor as to how big of an SSD you can afford, but a modern SSD (especially PCI-E) is far superior to a mechanical drive for loading and running all modern games.

Caporegime
"All my game installs are on the same 1TB SSD drive as the OS as it by far provides the best performance"

No it doesn't.

What? Are you seriously saying that a game install on a PCI-E SSD OS drive is slower than a separate install on a mechanical drive? :confused:

No need. Anyone with knowledge in computer hardware knows why it's slower.

Also you're saying wiping windows drive is better with all your games and savegames, then having it split up into two? LOL
It is a VERY easy job to back up your steam folder and other files before wiping the OS. I no longer have any non-Steam games so it's very convenient.

Soldato
well if you have two SSD's, one for OS, another for games, then the two SSD's will be faster. Plus the same thing, can wipe OS leaving games untouched.

Not that I would buy SSD for games as not enough storage.

"It is a VERY easy job to back up your steam folder and other files before wiping the OS"

I don't need to do that. So why bother LOL.
And back it up to where? Why even copy it, when your secondary drive is where it's stored, and when C: formatted and reinstalled it's left alone.

Amateurs lol

Caporegime
well if you have two SSD's, one for OS, another for games, then the two SSD's will be faster. Plus the same thing, can wipe OS leaving games untouched.

Not that I would buy SSD for games as not enough storage.

"It is a VERY easy job to back up your steam folder and other files before wiping the OS"

I don't need to do that. So why bother LOL
I didn't know you were talking about two separate SSD's. I was talking, as were most others above, about having an SSD OS drive and a mechanical drive for storage/games. My only point was that the OS SSD will be faster than the mechanical games drive for game installs.

If we crossed wires then so be it, but I was working under that assumption.

PS: Only teenies write "LOL" after every post.

EDIT -

Why would I do that

C: (OS) 64GB SSD
D: (Games) 1TB Western Digital Black

I can wipe the SSD, if I get BSOD which kills the OS, or a virus, or if change from one Windows version to another, and the games are still there.

You said you had a WD black, and that is a mechanical drive? So how can it be faster than an SSD?

Soldato
OP
Please provide evidence.

I hope you're just trolling. But your OS takes up some of the cache on the drive, as does your game, with your game being on it's independent drive, it has more read/write cache to play with? It's computing basics 101. One thing this thread has highlighted is the lack of basic knowledge of how a computer works to all these 'PC gamers'. I guess buying pre built is an entry these days sure, but people really need to learn the fundamentals.

Back to my OP, I've bought a 4TB WD Se (enterprise storage drive), 7,200rpm and 64mb cash. Read at 172mb/s rated, so realistically it will be around 150mb/s. So not too bad! I'll have the majority of my games on that, and then the drive speed hungry games on the 500GB Samsung Evo SSD. Up until someone mentioned it in this forum, I didn't realise Steam has the function to move game directories, so that will be fun to tinker with.

At the same time, I've also just got my hands on a new 256GB SSD which I'll replace my OS SSD with and give my 128GB SSD to my partner as she's currently got 2x1tb mechanical drives in raid for everything.

Caporegime
I hope you're just trolling. But your OS takes up some of the cache on the drive, as does your game, with your game being on it's independent drive, it has more read/write cache to play with? It's computing basics 101. One thing this thread has highlighted is the lack of basic knowledge of how a computer works to all these 'PC gamers'. I guess buying pre built is an entry these days sure, but people really need to learn the fundamentals.

That is a hilariously arrogantly worded post.

A game installed on a separate mechanical drive will not perform as well as a game installed on a modern SSD containing the OS. If you are talking about a separate SSD in addition to the OS SSD then yes you have a point.

Back
Top Bottom