Heads-up on HE400i on sale

Soldato
Just got mine and I'll be keeping them, I may even stop grinning in time but it will be a while. :D

They make a great complement to the HD650, both have superb mids but the similarities end there: The HD650s have rolled off sub-bass and a mid bass hump, while the HD400i is much flatter and the bass goes waaaaay down low; the HD650 tends to roll off the highs while still providing lots of detail, which is where the "veil" comes from, whereas these have very detailed and airy highs; I find the soundstage to be slightly wider and more 3 dimensional than the HD650 and the instrument positioning is far more precise than the Sennheiser.

Between the HE400i and HD650 I think I hit my end game as there is little point in going further with my 60yr old ears (can't hear anything above 12kHz)

I can see where you are coming from in your comparison with the K712, they are like my modded K702 on steroids but with a lot more bass.

For this type of signature you probably do need to go to HD800/800S for an obvious improvement, the K712 is a hell of a headphone.

Soldato
From what you've said, I think the HE560 would have been closer to what you want, it's leaner and even more detailed than the HE400i, pretty much neutral right across the spectrum. With that said, the bass, while less in quantity goes even lower and the highs go higher, so more of a reference headphone than it's little brother.

Soldato
Sad I missed out on these, always wanted to try a pair of Hifiman headphones. Wonder if they will ever do the deal again.

Keep checking daily, the price has bounced back and forth a few times over the last few weeks, going back to full price when stock hits 1 and that's where they currently are - hopefully they will add some more stock this week and the price will go back down.

Associate
This is pretty tempting. I was waiting for the HD650s to come down to somewhere near the £250 mark but even then, that's still £70 more than the HE400i...
wow, the 650s were priced at exactly £234 that was only a few months ago, now they have increased to £319 on the jungle, doesnt make sense, maybe they have jumped up the price due to demand.

Associate
I've just sent mine back, really glad I got the chance to audition them, for the money they are a bargain, but, they are supposed to be an upgrade to my K712's and although they were technically better in some areas it wasn't enough of an upgrade for me for the outlay, the sound stage was a too intimate for me, I will miss the air between the instruments on them though, that stood out straight away, also nice bass.

To be honest I was quite surprised that they sounded more similar to my K712's than dissimilar. Overall I found the 400i's a little too warm for me which meant I lost out on some genres of music.

I think what this has taught me is I need to up my game, I have the HD600 on my list of 'cheaper' headphones to try but I have a bad feeling I'm going to need something like the HD800/s to really be satisfied.

If you're thinking of spending that much the LCD's are something you should check out.

Associate
Pm-3 is 349 @ a certain forest website.

I have listened to the 400i and the 650's at length and the 400i is much better. Much cleaner sound. Better fidelity overall. I'd argue that the dynamics are better also.

PM-3 still mops the floor with both of them.
PM-3's look really nice Cans and get great Reviews and few say there great with House music to which is a bonus i love the White but i don't think it be practical to have the White lol. May opt for the Blue i like the white pads

Soldato
On the rainforest.

They are currently selling at full price but for a spell were selling at £180 and have dipped back again a couple of times during the last week or so - you have to check the site often and hopefully you'll catch them at the right time. I think they may be selling off stock as a new model is imminent but they will likely be in the £400 range.

Back
Top Bottom