Heads-up on HE400i on sale

Soldato
Been waiting to try these for ages but couldn't swallow the £330 price tag. Will take a punt at £180 and see if I like them, thanks for the heads up! For those of you referencing camelcamel, I've been monitoring this item the same way, but as there's a few 400i listings on Amazon I was monitoring the wrong one that's still 300 odd quid :rolleyes: just thought I'd mention it.

Associate
Oppo PM-3 vs HiFiMan HE-400i

Let's start with fit and comfort. The first thing you'll notice is that the HE-400i does take it on this aspect. It has less clamping force, though I wouldn't call either headphone uncomfortable. The 400i is less sensitive than the PM-3, I listen to it with around 2-3 more clicks on my iPhone.

Signatures differ subtly between the HE-400i and PM-3. The HE-400i offers a slightly energetic treble and midrange over the PM-3 while the PM-3 offers a smoother sound throughout.

We'll start with the low end of the spectrum, where they do differ quite a bit. The PM-3 takes the cake when it comes to presence and quantity. It's definitely a step or two above the HE-400i. However, when the track asks for it, the bass can become undistinguishable. With that said, they both have good depth, though the PM-3 offers a larger, thicker body. The impacts on the PM-3 is a little thicker as well over the HE-400i while the 400i has a more accurate, quickness to it. With that said, the 400i is tighter and more accurate to the source (backfires on brighter tracks) while the PM-3 is thicker and more fun without sacrificing too much accuracy.

In the midrange, one of the most apparent things that jumped out at me was that the PM-3 was that guitars had slightly more texture and dynamics to them. Vocals on the other hand were different. They both offer great energy and lushness to them. Though the 400i seemed to have a slight edge here. When it comes to the midrange, the differences were so minute, they really are on par with one another.

As we go up into the higher ranges, we do find the closed nature of the PM-3 begins to play against it. The HE-400i offer a significant amount of air over the PM-3. Overall, this is where the 400i took a stage over the PM-3. The treble energy and detailing were ahead of what the PM-3 could offer. Though the PM-3 and 400i both offer great detailing. On the other hand, the 400i's significant amount of energy can also backfire on it as it can be a little thin on some poor recordings and become slightly edgy. The PM-3 has no such issues.

The main way to put this. If you want accuracy down to the tooth and nail, the 400i is definitely the direction to go (and it isn't even tooth and nail accuracy). The PM-3 is much more forgiving with just about every track. Though it can be a little thick with well-mastered tracks. The PM-3 is simply forgiving in nature and easy to listen to. It won't blatantly show off errors in the recording, the 400i may do this from time to time.

Associate
Its a tough one to pick with me liking Dance music with decent Bass with both doing a decent job it seems i do like little vocal to which Favours the 400i in that respect, Both Cans seem to get Decent reviews.Ill get to listen to the PM-3's friday and see what they are like

Soldato
My HE400is have just been dispatched. Here with me tomorrow.

Looking forward to giving them a listen. Off work tomorrow and after I've done some work on my car I think ill just lie on sofa and listen to some tunes.

Soldato
Given that HE-400i is the same price as the Fidelio X2, which one would you guys prefer? Are they comparable?

Fidelios come down to about £130 quite often.

The X2 arent really comparable as they arent a Planar magnetic driver so they will likely sound quite different. The X2s are meant to be good though. I get my HE400is today but will only be able to compare them to my Fidelio M2 and my Sennheiser HD599s.

Associate
Fidelios come down to about £130 quite often.

The X2 arent really comparable as they arent a Planar magnetic driver so they will likely sound quite different. The X2s are meant to be good though. I get my HE400is today but will only be able to compare them to my Fidelio M2 and my Sennheiser HD599s.

Do you need amp for those, I would get one pair as they are on sale right now.

Associate
My HE400is have just been dispatched. Here with me tomorrow.

Looking forward to giving them a listen. Off work tomorrow and after I've done some work on my car I think ill just lie on sofa and listen to some tunes.
Easy Hedge did you recieve your 400i's. Be intrested in a review if ok please. Might be intrested in these still if the Oppo's dissapoint are they comfy? Whats the Bass like ill be mainly be listening to house music so im not sure which would perform better the Oppo's get great reviews aswell as the 400i its a tough one lol

Soldato
Ok, so I havent got a decent headphone amp right now (will get a schiit stack next month) but...

Currently I'm using them on my PC connected to a Sennheiser GSX1000. I've been using Amazon music today to listen to some Infected Mushroom, Libertines, Years and Years, Beatles, Joy Division and whatever else has tickled my fancy :)

I've never really reviewed anything before but heres some first impressions.

Packaging - It comes in a Faux Leather Box, with a little tab that you pull up to reveal the nice silky bed the headphones sit in. Its one of the nicest bits of packaging I've seen :)

Cable - The cable that comes with it is pretty average. Nothing too special, its 3.5mm jack is angled at 90 deg . The other end is 2x2.5mm that connect to the headphones with a nice click. The quality isnt bad here, its just nothing fancy. Its rather short though! (About 1.5m max)

Headphones - The headband is very comfortable, it clicks with a good force into your chosen positions and I have worn it for last couple of hours without any issues. They are very nice quality. Ive read some people say Hifiman have quality issues but I really dont see the issue.
The cups are fingerprint magnets but the padding is very nice, half leather half velour. They are very open. I can hear everything around me so they are no good if you live in a noisy environment (can be said about any open backed stuff really)

How do they sound? - Quite spectacular really. They havent been burned in but I'm picking up on things I've not heard before. The bass is great, its fast and tight. The highs are brilliant too. I'm listening to Kygo - Firestone now and it sounds very nice. I'd imagine the Oppos might give you a heavier bass due to them being closed back (?) but I'm not feeling like I'm missing out much. I would like to pair them with a nicer amplifier though.

I just find myself closing my eyes and listening to each element of songs. You can just switch off from the world and explore your music :)

erm...

Big Thumbs up! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be investing in at least one replacement cable, maybe two, a short one for desk duties and one for the recliner - the cable that comes with them is only slightly less stiff than a coathanger :D

Back
Top Bottom