Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

Just to be clear, Seasonal Coefficient of Performance (SCOP) is what you need to be high. COP is instantaneous and therefore is not representative of how much you performance you actually get out of it.

Also, you don't necessarily need giant rads. You run the heating for longer instead.

My installers advised I should get a SCOP of around 3.6. Breaking it down:
* During summer, heating hot water only, it’ll have a low COP of around 2.6.
* In the shoulder months, expect a high COP around 4.
* In the coldest months, expect a COP below 3.

Overall, balancing out at around 3.6.

Just to be clear, Seasonal Coefficient of Performance (SCOP) is what you need to be high. COP is instantaneous and therefore is not representative of how much you performance you actually get out of it.

Also, you don't necessarily need giant rads. You run the heating for longer instead.

Don't have my calculation yet but a SCOP of 4 would be nice right? What if you keep the ASHP running 24/7 at 50c and the house loose more heat in the cold days than putting it in, is that possible? Bigger heat pump until pipes can't cope with the flow anymore?

Don't have my calculation yet but a SCOP of 4 would be nice right? What if you keep the ASHP running 24/7 at 50c and the house loose more heat in the cold days than putting it in, is that possible? Bigger heat pump until pipes can't cope with the flow anymore?

Yeah you'd have to calculate it. Chances are the heat loss will be too high, I think. But it would basically mean starting your heating earlier in the day. Also, 50C could be excessive until you get to a peak scenario, though that would depend on your house.

For my mate this was all in, replacing some rads, new cylinder, and they have space to put it outside.

For ours I am hoping for minimal work as pipework was replaced with larger bore stuff during a replumb 5 years ago and rads oversized by 40%.

Yea defo. Do you have space outside to install it?

All pipework already in place?

Are you going to or already have a hot water cylinder?
Almost all heat pump installs will need a cylinder replacement even if you already have a modern one. The one you have will almost certainly not have a heating coil big enough for the lower flow temps of a heat pump if it was installed for a gas system unless it was installed with the intention of swapping to a heat pump later.

Out of interest I checked octopus. They don't have installers in my area, amd I can't have it where I want which is a dead bit of land out the way so it would be an eyesore which makes it a none runner imo.

Out of interest I checked octopus. They don't have installers in my area, amd I can't have it where I want which is a dead bit of land out the way so it would be an eyesore which makes it a none runner imo.

One of the farm cottages down the road from me - traditional quaint/rustic aspect with a proper "cottage garden"... and a whacking great ugly heat pump on the wall...

Looked into heat pumps and dont think its possible to fit on our house being a Victorian mid terrace. There is literally nowhere to put the heat pump outside, the only place to put it would be to elevate it and bolt to the wall but it would be too close to a neighbours window so wouldnt be allowed. Dont know what the government expect people like us to do when the time comes.

Looked into heat pumps and dont think its possible to fit on our house being a Victorian mid terrace. There is literally nowhere to put the heat pump outside, the only place to put it would be to elevate it and bolt to the wall but it would be too close to a neighbours window so wouldnt be allowed. Dont know what the government expect people like us to do when the time comes.
I think any form of terraced is going to be difficult to do it.

Those Octopus prices got me tempted. So I did the Octopus website questions and it says I need 1mx1mx2m for the cylinder.. but my airing cupboard is only 85cm wide.. :(
You can get cylinders around 470mm diameter.

I'm going to wait so many questions they couldn't answer when I asked them to phone me.

Location would be an issue for us as well it could go at the front of the house but that would be ugly as hell, at the back anywhere with space would be right under a window.
I don't want it on the floor either as that means when we relay the patio it would be in the way.

I'm going to keep an eye on the efficiency of them, they only going to get better I imagine. I'll get my own cylinder at some point and if there is no grants at the time I'll fit the whole thing myself save plenty that way.

Back
Top Bottom