Hell Let Loose...Company Of Hero's, meets FPS

Associate
Sounded good until someone compared it to Squad.

If someone just did Planetside 2 on a WW2 theme the game would be amazing. Massive ongoing map, players, vehicles, bit of customisation etc. Planetside 2 isnt perfect but the concept could be amazing and translate that into the WW2 theater and all the options you have in the air and on the ground, it would sell 6.9 billion copies in super early access ;)

Associate
If someone just did Planetside 2 on a WW2 theme the game would be amazing. Massive ongoing map, players, vehicles, bit of customisation etc. Planetside 2 isnt perfect but the concept could be amazing and translate that into the WW2 theater and all the options you have in the air and on the ground, it would sell 6.9 billion copies in super early access ;)

YES! Absolutely this! It would be utterly amazing. Somebody please do this. Balancing and limiting air spam would be hard but the concept has the potential to be brilliant! The added realism would make it utterly compelling. Planetside 2 at its best was great due to the scale and proper use of vehicles. Adding in a WW2 theme and it would be near perfect.

Associate
The Kickstarter has been funded, now it is just a matter of the stretch goals (the first stretch goal has been reached already)

• USD $110,000: Deployable Mortars (AUD 140,000)
  • USD $120,000: Foy Map (AUD 152,500)
  • USD $130,000: Flamethrowers (AUD 165,250)
  • USD $140,000: Hurtgen Forest Map (AUD 178,100)
  • USD $150,000: Light Tanks (AUD 190,800)
  • USD $160,000: Utah Beach Map (AUD 203,550)
  • USD $170,000: Mobile Artillery (AUD 216,270)
  • USD $180,000: Carentan Map (AUD 229,000)
  • USD $190,000: Strafing Run Call-In (AUD 241,700)
  • USD $200,000: Armored Recovery Vehicles (AUD 254,440)
  • USD $210,000: St Mere Eglise Map (AUD 267,000)
  • USD $220,000: Deployable Anti-Personnel Minefields (AUD 279,900)

Soldato
Just found out about this while watching Karmakut/Bluedrake42 Youtube channels. I love realistic WW2 shooters; I'm a long time Red Orchestra fan, but not only were their latest offerings a little toned down but after RS2 I'm not sure if they will ever make another WW2 game.

I've really fallen for Squad lately as well, and love the massive scale and emphasis on teamwork and communication. If HLL is going for a similar feel (which it light well do with UE4), only more a little more hardcore and in WW2, then I think I'm gonna take a punt on this :)

Associate
All these stretch goals already hit. Looking good! Flamethrowers! :cool:

USD $110,000: Deployable Mortars (AUD 140,000)

Associate
Doing good on Kickstarter. Unlocked all the following!

USD $110,000: Deployable Mortars (AUD 140,000)
  • USD $140,000: Hurtgen Forest Map (AUD 178,100)
  • USD $150,000: Light Tanks (AUD 190,800)
  • USD $160,000: Utah Beach Map (AUD 203,550)
  • USD $170,000: Mobile Artillery (AUD 216,270)

Utah beach and artillery! WIN. :)

Associate
They'll unlock all the goals no problem, it's always funny to see "We'll add this if you give us a few more grand" though.

It is not "We'll add this if you give us a few more grand", it is 'We'll be able to put more funds into it to be able to make it faster if you give us a few more grand'.

Soldato
Never have understood these goals, why they want like $10,000 to add a flamethrower for example, that can be made in a hour, or $10,000 to add a map that takes possibly weeks, then another $10,000 just to add a vehicle, strange, mind you, all game funding do this.

Caporegime
Never have understood these goals, why they want like $10,000 to add a flamethrower for example, that can be made in a hour, or $10,000 to add a map that takes possibly weeks, then another $10,000 just to add a vehicle, strange, mind you, all game funding do this.

Something like a flamethrower could take a long time to implement. Creating convincing flame effects could take quite a while, making decisions if things can get set alight or not, balancing the range against other weapons so its not overkill or totally pointless.

Soldato
why they want like $10,000 to add a flamethrower for example, that can be made in a hour

What??

$10,000 to add a map that takes possibly weeks

Some might suggest it might take two people working for 8 weeks... Would that seem reasonable?

At $30K a year per developer (which at the current rate is £22K a year...) 8 weeks would work out at being roughly $9.2K.

And that's just pure development, from two guys. Truth is that implementing a balanced map will likely take up some effort from everyone in the entire team. So even if you baulk at my 8 week estimate and think it would be less, the cost of development likely still costs more than the $10K they're asking to make a map.

These things usually fail not because they're asking for too much, but because they're asking for too little and hoping to make up for it in sales.

Soldato
What??

Some might suggest it might take two people working for 8 weeks... Would that seem reasonable?

At $30K a year per developer (which at the current rate is £22K a year...) 8 weeks would work out at being roughly $9.2K.

And that's just pure development, from two guys. Truth is that implementing a balanced map will likely take up some effort from everyone in the entire team. So even if you baulk at my 8 week estimate and think it would be less, the cost of development likely still costs more than the $10K they're asking to make a map.

These things usually fail not because they're asking for too much, but because they're asking for too little and hoping to make up for it in sales.
My point being, why 10k for a map that takes a lot more work, and 10k for a weapon that dont.

Soldato
My point being, why 10k for a map that takes a lot more work, and 10k for a weapon that dont.

It's all relative. Just because a map is big doesn't make it much more work. Maps are static, can use existing assets and when you're heavily focused on historical accuracy gameplay becomes emergent from the terrain as it was rather than heavily focused and designed/tweaked chokepoints. Saying that, I don't want to distract from the fact that designing large open maps that still have tight gameplay is an artform it itself - I imagine they'll be working at a loss when developing any of the maps listed as stretch goals.

However, what about making an additional weapon, that functions like no other weapon in the game, do you think isn't a lot of work?

There's many reasons flamethrowers aren't a mainstay of WW2 games in the past and modern games don't feature "futuristic" alternatives.

Off the top of my head at the most basic level you've got:
3rd person model x 2 (Germans and Americans both had them)
3rd person texture x 2
3rd person animations x 2
1st person model x 2
1st person texture x 2
1st person animations x 2
World model (if you can die and drop it) x2
Inventory integration (ammo etc)
Hitbox integration (shoot the fuel tank on their back)
Flame physics and world collision
Flame interaction (what can be set alight? - consider performance vs flexibility vs desirability vs gameplay)
Physics, and textures for setting enemies alight
Death animations for enemies
Death animations for player
Damage radius of flame (again, consider gameplay and testing required)
Gameplay considerations in terms of class/points/cost

That's just their first draft. Once they actually release it to Alpha they'll likely have a tonne of feedback with bugs for them to fix and a tonne of feature requests they'll need to work though, prioritise and implement.

I'm also probably missing stuff - but that's not 1 hour of work. Not one of the things I listed above it its own is 1 hour of work. Most, if not all, would probably involve two people working over two days.

As a genuine offer, if you really think what you're saying, I'd be interested to see something you completed to a standard that you think could hold up to the scrutiny of the online gaming community in one hour, let alone a day.

Associate
Only a few days to go till the end of the Kickstarter campaign... but so many great stretched goals still to get. :/ Come on peeps, get backing!

Back
Top Bottom