Helmets with "low" wind noise?

Soldato
I've tried a couple of helmets and most of them have a loud wind noise, I could use some earplugs but I'm trying to find a helmet that is quiet"ish" and doesn't cost a fortune.

Preferable black and pinlock ready.

Any advices?

Soldato
No helmet is quiet enough to not wear earplugs, at normal DC/motorway speeds you'll **** up your hearing in any helmet not wearing earplugs.

However, quiet helmets include Scuberth ones (not sure which model but they're known for being the quietest helmets) or maybe the Shoei GT-Air. Not cheap though. Ear plugs are much cheaper.

Seriously, use earplugs. There's no reason why you shouldn't and a lot of reasons why you should. The entire purpose of earplugs is to cut out wind noise...

Soldato
I've tried earplugs but for me it didn't feel right, I like to hear traffic as it makes me more alert, with earplugs in I found myself losing concentration and not paying attention.

Hardly any wind noise in my shoei helmet up to 75mph.

Soldato
Might be because I have a noisy Arai helmet, but for me with earplugs it allows me to hear traffic/sirens etc better. There's no way I'd ride without them unless I'm only doing 30mph max just nipping up the road, wind noise at 70mph is unbearable.

People also sometimes don't insert earplugs correctly, which means they don't work well, and then base their experience off that.

What helmet to you have Clovis? GT-Air?

Soldato
I have to wear them at work for 8 hours a day so I've managed to work out which way works best when using them, the ones at work are built for heavy duty factory work so might actually be too silent, you can just about hear someone talking even when they are up close.

I've got a shoei xr1100 so quite a tight fitting helmet.

Soldato
I've got a Shoei NXR and use the ear plug style headphones (on low enough volume so I can still hear traffic) or I just use some ear plugs. I'm pretty deaf as it is, don't want to kill my hearing any further

Soldato
RJ when asked said that he doesn't wear ear plugs either as his Schuberth is enough. :p

Actually, he said short journeys = no. Long journeys = yes. ;) 55 seconds in.

You think how loud his S1000RR is, no-one could tolerate that noise on the motorway for hours without getting a headache, even if their helmet is quiet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to wear them at work for 8 hours a day so I've managed to work out which way works best when using them, the ones at work are built for heavy duty factory work so might actually be too silent, you can just about hear someone talking even when they are up close.

I've got a shoei xr1100 so quite a tight fitting helmet.

That sounds about right, someone was talking to me tonight just as I was leaving work, they were 25ft away and I couldn't hear a word they were saying. I can still hear sirens etc. well before the police car/ambulance is visible, and for me they make the riding experience much more pleasant. I use moldex sparkplugs, when they start getting old and stiff after about a week of use I can notice them letting in more sound, a fresh pair feel great.

Soldato
The plugs I wear cut down the noise by 22db.
That seems to be just right. I can still hear everything, it just help cut the bad stuff out.
free from work so that's good lol.

I look after my hearing, because if it gets below a certain level I will be taken off the Airport ramp where I work, I like my job, so I'm making sure my hearing is good

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds about right, someone was talking to me tonight just as I was leaving work, they were 25ft away and I couldn't hear a word they were saying. I can still hear sirens etc. well before the police car/ambulance is visible, and for me they make the riding experience much more pleasant. I use moldex sparkplugs, when they start getting old and stiff after about a week of use I can notice them letting in more sound, a fresh pair feel great.

I wouldn't hear them 25ft away without ear plugs in :p

Caporegime
I don't wear earplugs and I have a cheap airoh helmet,I get a fair amount of wind noise but I don't mind it tbh,a necktube pulled up over your ears cuts some of it down aswell,I don't think I've ever had a silent helmet and I've had expensive agv's in the past

I can understand those that wear earplugs because of work commitments ect but not for me

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't hear them 25ft away without ear plugs in :p

:D:p I can hear people within 2-3ft with my earplugs in (just), over that and I'm like "WHAT? CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" :D

Apparently a good test is if you rub your finger and thumb together right next to your ear with them in, you shouldn't be able to hear the sound. if you can't hear that without earplugs, well.... :D

Edit: Depends a lot on your bike too, if you have a nice big screen to tuck behind you'll get a lot less wind noise than on a naked bike.

End of this vid is interesting, 80mph and low screen, 108db. Over 90-95db at a sustained exposure is hearing loss territory. Make of that what you will... I prefer to keep my hearing. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
:D I can't hear people with mine in even if they are a ft away from me, not so bad when outside but inside, can't hear **** all.

I've just checked what ones we have and they are 36dB, that explains why I can't even hear myself when wearing them! :D :p

6GeD1lOl.jpg

Soldato
Normally wear earplugs and especially wear them if riding all day. Makes my Sena easier to hear as well.

Schuberth are supposed to be quiet as mentioned above. Otherwise you could stick the neck curtain on the Shoei XR1100 which makes it pretty quiet.

Back
Top Bottom