Helmets with "low" wind noise?

Caporegime
I don't like overly loud pipes myself tbf,they do give me a headache,so loud the rider has to stuff earplugs in to tolerate riding it

but I do like a nice sounding pipe,you see pedestrians turn and look at you because they have heard you coming long before they see you

Soldato
That is something I don't get, I would change the exhaust. Why would you want to ride something so loud.

Who are you referring to? Wind noise is what causes hearing damage at typical cruising speeds, nothing to do with the exhaust unless you have something obscenely noisy fitted.

Soldato
No advice re: helmets, but I just thought I'd weigh in with the earplugs discussion. I wear ear plugs for pretty much any ride out. Reduces wind noise and it means I can hear the bike much better, and the bike sounds awesome ;)

Man of Honour
Moldex sparkplugs, £3 or less for 20 pairs on amazon. Each pair last about a week before they start losing their spongyness.

I have the same and mine last many months of daily use.

They get screwed if you get them wet though, do you have sweaty ears?

Last edited:
Soldato
I just had a look and mine are 3M E-A-R classic and 3M tapered. The tapered ones block out a little more noise. I think they cost me about £20 for maybe 500 packs of them.

Soldato
Yep, or these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KIRO3Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the same and mine last many months of daily use.

They get screwed if you get them wet though, do you have sweaty ears?

No, mine just go 'hard' so when you compress them they don't expand back to their normal size, and they go stiffer so harder to roll down. Both of which means they don't make as a good a seal, when I use a fresh pair the difference is noise a quite a bit.

Man of Honour
That's very strange as mine don't do that.

Do they fit snug in your ear canal or are they a bit on the small side?

I have a pair of fresh ones and a pair I used daily for 2 months and they both spring back to the same size in the same amount of time. The older ones look a little manky though so I'm using the new ones next time.

Soldato
I have narrow ear canals if anything. They just lose their springyness and don't expand when compressed. I've just taken a new one and a week old one I'd chucked away this morning, rolled down as tight as they will go (as I'd normally do to insert them) after 60 seconds the new one is back to it's full size. 10 minutes now after rolling them and the old one is still not expanded to normal size.

After 60 seconds, old still rolled, new back to full size.

10 minutes later:

The old one will take at least 20-30 minutes to regain it's full shape, which means it's not expanding properly to fill my ear canal, therefore letting in sound. My commute is 40 minutes long so there's little point in an earplug that's not working for 3/4 of the trip.

TBH it's not really an issue - £2's worth lasts me 4-5 months minimum.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Cheers for the replies, I'll give different brands ago and see which ones I liked the best. There was a earplug thread somewhere, I'll try to dig that out and have a read. :p

ATM I ordered the Moldex sparkplugs (pack of 20)

Soldato
Cheers for the replies, I'll give different brands ago and see which ones I liked the best. There was a earplug thread somewhere, I'll try to dig that out and have a read. :p

ATM I ordered the Moldex sparkplugs (pack of 20)

Would you like me to send you some? I get them from work and you can see if you like them? They are for industrial use though so you won't hear anything at all lol..

Back
Top Bottom