Helmets with "low" wind noise?

Soldato
Tried earplugs once, didn't get on with them. I don't find it loud enough to warrant them, but then again, i have spent a lot of my childhood in the ENT clinic due to ear problems and still spend a lot of time listening to loud music...

Soldato
No helmet is quiet enough to not wear earplugs, at normal DC/motorway speeds you'll **** up your hearing in any helmet not wearing earplugs.

This^^^.

I can understand those that wear earplugs because of work commitments ect but not for me

I don't wear them due to work commitments, I wear them primarily because hearing loss is a bitch. Probably something you worry about more as you get older, but damage is cumulative and usually starts when you are younger and less aware.

A secondary advantage is that I can actually hear important stuff better with them in when moving.

Soldato
This^^^.

I don't wear them due to work commitments, I wear them primarily because hearing loss is a bitch. Probably something you worry about more as you get older, but damage is cumulative and usually starts when you are younger and less aware.

A secondary advantage is that I can actually hear important stuff better with them in when moving.
Well, that's my hearing gone then. I'm gonna be a proper old man who can't hear a thing. Oh well, more peaceful if you can't hear people half the time :p. I do try to wear ear plugs, but often forget then cba to take my helmet off and put them in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wear ear plug, yes plug not plugs, due to work commitments, I wear it only in the left ear because if I use on both I cannot understand what my customers say :p so I'm saving my left ear to when I get older :D

But now this became an ear plug thread and that was not what I was aiming for ;)

So the question is Shoei XR1100 or Schuberth S2? Or maybe a 3rd option???

Soldato
It depends on the bike/speeds and distance. Some helmets you could probably get away without ear plugs for most types of riding, but I think you would need to keep a pair of ear plugs at hand.

I've found Bell helmets are good for noise, but the fit of the lid and whats in front of you would probably be important.

Soldato
Having not tried any other helmets I can't say which one is best, my xr1100 is great, snug fit, lightweight and no wind noise until you start reaching 75mph.

Soldato
I wear ear plug, yes plug not plugs, due to work commitments, I wear it only in the left ear because if I use on both I cannot understand what my customers say :p so I'm saving my left ear to when I get older :D

But now this became an ear plug thread and that was not what I was aiming for ;)

So the question is Shoei XR1100 or Schuberth S2? Or maybe a 3rd option???

Can you try them on? Get the one which fits the best, I wouldn't buy online unless I'd wore them first.

Soldato
I have a Schuberth C3 and it's quieter than most helmets, but nowhere near quiet enough to wear without earplug on long journeys. I now much prefer my NEXX SD1 which is a bit louder but much better vented (and the peak is useful in the springtime low sun)

Caporegime
I've got a very old AGV in the loft I think still and that was very quiet as I recall - possibly down to it having nothing attached to the shell, no vents and a big thick collar on it. I doubt it would even be rated on the Sharp scale though and used to mist up big time.

Schuberth have a wind tunnel for testing their helmets and would seem to be better than most on the whole. A couple of instructors have recommended Howard Leight (sp?) earplugs in the past and some say that a windjammer / wind blocker that fits between the helmet and neck really helps too. I've been using a Shark Evo 3 the past year and it's reasonably quiet I feel.

Other than the above, a touring screen that channels the air away from your head and if you want to go to extremes, wet toilet paper in the ear apparently works very well lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
some say that a windjammer / wind blocker that fits between the helmet and neck really helps too.

I find when I have my balaclava just pulled down around my neck it makes a massive difference to the noise, might be worth trying one of the helmet skirt things to start with.

Back
Top Bottom