Helmets with "low" wind noise?

Caporegime
That is something I don't get, I would change the exhaust. Why would you want to ride something so loud.

Generally the stock exhausts are about as quiet as you'll get, without messing about with mufflers or getting something specially made, as quieter ones generally reduce power so there's little market for them. Also if you're doing a fair bit of urban riding / commuting then a bit of noise can help to alert other vehicles to your presence more readily.

Man of Honour
Safety, stylish, better performance and why not?

Safety excuse is rubbish. Performance of which you can't use on the road. On the most underpowered bikes can yup fully utilise in the road whilst being half sensible and still way outside the law.
Comfort and your own health on the other hand are far more important. Let alone annoying every one living around where you go.

Soldato
Generally the stock exhausts are about as quiet as you'll get, without messing about with mufflers or getting something specially made, as quieter ones generally reduce power so there's little market for them. Also if you're doing a fair bit of urban riding / commuting then a bit of noise can help to alert other vehicles to your presence more readily.

I'd go so far to say that a loud exhaust is critical nowadays :(

Soldato
Safety excuse is rubbish. Performance of which you can't use on the road. On the most underpowered bikes can yup fully utilise in the road whilst being half sensible and still way outside the law.
Comfort and your own health on the other hand are far more important. Let alone annoying every one living around where you go.

No its not rubbish, car drivers do tend to look out for loud bikes that they can hear, granted not all of them, but it definitely helps, who cares about anyone else? I don't, if my neighbours or other people don't like loud bikes then it's something they'll need to deal with. I honestly don't care if my bike wakes people up when I come home at 1am, yeah makes me a **** but I enjoy it. :)

Soldato
All the above, first thing I'd change on a bike is the exhaust - much safer with a loud exhaust, when filtering some people will move over as they hear you coming.

For me at motorway speeds exhaust noise is loud, but then most bikes aren't sitting at 7-8k rpm at 70mph!

Man of Honour
All the above, first thing I'd change on a bike is the exhaust - much safer with a loud exhaust, when filtering some people will move over as they hear you coming.

For me at motorway speeds exhaust noise is loud, but then most bikes aren't sitting at 7-8k rpm at 70mph!

Most bikes aren't sitting at 70 on the motorway :p:D

Soldato

The performance increase, if any, is not always about top speed or speed outside the law though. Removing baffles or changing exhaust can make things smoother, nicer to ride, better pull at certain revs and so on (results are different).

If I wanted more comfort and my health rather than looking and sounding super awesome then I'd get a car :p

And it is safer, no question really. The amount of times people have **** themselves with a bit of a rev when they're not paying attention is funny.:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I have decatted headers with a akropovic pipe and baffles removed. It's very loud, and whilst it doesn't make much difference on the open roads it certainly does when commuting and filtering. The pipe and aux lights make me a lot more noticeable to cars compared to previous bikes.

My neighbours probably hate me though as my car is even louder!

Back
Top Bottom