Help - ASUS Prime Z490-A Problem - Ethernet Port Driver Not Working

Associate
I've had this problem since I replaced my old mobo with this new one. I would have to either disable/enable the Ethernet port, or reinstall the Ethernet drivers for it to recognize the connection. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and I've even tried another fix I saw someone do (it only worked for a day and it went back to how it was). I do not know what to do anymore, the work around I'm doing is starting to get annoying.

Associate
Hi,

It looks like your board has I225v Ethernet controller. There are 3 revisions of the chip - B1, B2 and B3. B1 and B2 are both faulty and drop connection like that, lose packets etc. B3 is fixed. Just search for I225 Ethernet issues and you will find a lot of people with this problem.
E.g. Intel community board:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...WldLfDEyNTM0NjZ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M23783

Your board likely has either B1 or B2 revision - you can check in the device manager, in the device name. The number in parentheses identifies the revision.

The semi-fix is to update the firmware to version 1.45 and then use drivers that work with it (Look on Asus site). I did it on my Z490 Aorus Master and at least it seems I don't get disconnects but I still have the packet loss. Also, part of the fix is just limiting the bandwidth from 2.5 to 1 Gbps, so not ideal. Just see the Intel boards, how many people are trying to pressure Intel into doing something with it. This can't be fully fixed as this is a hardware problem but maybe they will mitigate it further. Most z490 boards with Intel NIC have the faulty controller. Even if you buy a new board today, chances are you will still get the B1/B2 chip. They should have recalled all the boards but of course did not do it...

Associate
OP
Hi,

It looks like your board has I225v Ethernet controller. There are 3 revisions of the chip - B1, B2 and B3. B1 and B2 are both faulty and drop connection like that, lose packets etc. B3 is fixed. Just search for I225 Ethernet issues and you will find a lot of people with this problem.
E.g. Intel community board:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...WldLfDEyNTM0NjZ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M23783

Your board likely has either B1 or B2 revision - you can check in the device manager, in the device name. The number in parentheses identifies the revision.

The semi-fix is to update the firmware to version 1.45 and then use drivers that work with it (Look on Asus site). I did it on my Z490 Aorus Master and at least it seems I don't get disconnects but I still have the packet loss. Also, part of the fix is just limiting the bandwidth from 2.5 to 1 Gbps, so not ideal. Just see the Intel boards, how many people are trying to pressure Intel into doing something with it. This can't be fully fixed as this is a hardware problem but maybe they will mitigate it further. Most z490 boards with Intel NIC have the faulty controller. Even if you buy a new board today, chances are you will still get the B1/B2 chip. They should have recalled all the boards but of course did not do it...

Damn, alright I'll check which version I have when I get back home from work today. It just sucks to receive a new motherboard to upgrade your PC, only for it to have a faulty part. I agree they should've recalled the boards and replaced the part before selling anymore units. I barely got my parts 3 days after Christmas last year because I got my refund from OcUK for a MSI 3080 Ventus I got tired of waiting to receive. Thank you for the advice on how to fix it. Worse case scenario is I buy a Z590 when I can afford one. I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom