Help - computer just exploded! Now what?

Soldato
Hi guys

The missus was just browsing forums when there was an almighty POP and everything went dead, she said a spark came out of the back as well.

I've unplugged it from the mains and have checked inside but I ca't see any marks of any kind, the motherboard looks fully intact, there's no smell...for all intents and purposes it looks fine.

How do I go about diagnosing what the problem could be...basically I want to know, if I plug it back in and switch it on is it liable to take the whole machine out (if it hasn't done so already).

Many thanks for any replies, I'm at a bit of a loss on this one...first time it's happened.

Almost certainly psu. try plugging another psu in and pray it hasn't taken anything else with it.

i wouldn't connect that psu up, all the chances are it wont do any harm as it will be totally dead.

What are the computer specs? Did you build it yourself?
May have a power supply that wasnt meaty enough.

Hyper PSU by any chance?

Help - computer just exploded! Now what?

1. Ring 999 ?
2. Get the Lappy out & runz to the Interwebz. (I like this one best)
3. Laugh.
4. Cry.
5. Attack the missus for spilling Liquids on the system.
6. Laugh about it & try another PSU.

What are the computer specs? Did you build it yourself?
May have a power supply that wasnt meaty enough.

Hyper PSU by any chance?

Thanks for the posts guys, I was wondering about the PSU myself but wasn't sure what would happen if I connected another PSU and it wasn't that at fault.

Yes the computer was home built, has been running quite happily for over a year and the power supply is a Corsair 620...as I said, it wasn't even under any load, just forum browsing. :(

it's almost certainly psu, so try putting in another one, which you know is working. After that you have to start replacing components 1 at a time.

there's been a lot of corsair dying, just like the hipers. is it because both had flaws or is it because they where the most recommended psu and thus 90% of the forum uses them.

there's been a lot of corsair dying, just like the hipers. is it because both had flaws or is it because they where the most recommended psu and thus 90% of the forum uses them.

Oh heck...well hopefully it's the later...I've got 6 PCs running on Corsair supplys because they were so highly recommended and reviewed.

I could replace it with a Corsair :( 450W which I would have to harvest from an office PC...does anyone know offhand if they have the dual power connectors required for powering an 8800GTX graphics card?

I remember a year or so ago saying that in a years time we'll see just how good the Corsair PSUs are, seems we're finding out now.

People will say thats it's a small % out of all that have been sold but I'm certainly glad I never put one in my system.

I remember a year or so ago saying that in a years time we'll see just how good the Corsair PSUs are, seems we're finding out now.

People will say thats it's a small % out of all that have been sold but I'm certainly glad I never put one in my system.
Aye & the worse thing is you have to send Corsair PSU's to Netherlands after 1 year warranty as the 4 other years have to be done through Corsair.

I would rather have a PSU with a UK RMA service, less hassle in the long run.

Aye & the worse thing is you have to send Corsair PSU's to Netherlands after 1 year warranty as the 4 other years have to be done through Corsair.

I would rather have a PSU with a UK RMA service, less hassle in the long run.

Totally agree with you there, wish I'd known about that when I bought...funny thing, none of the reviews mentioned it :(

Bah and double bah...still...not sure if it's the PSU or not yet...better get testing *sigh*

5* for the thread title.

Defo the PSU i'm afraid and i'm surprised it's a Corsair 620w... I haven't heard any bad things about them and mine has been cool and quiet... hmm...

If you search the forums, quite a lot of Corsair 620HX PSU's have blown, thats quite alarming considering the number of people on the forums using them.

I actually sold a Corsair HX 620W still sealed to Cyber-Mav last year, it took out 3 motherboards, he ended up going to OcUK to replace it at the counter.

They maybe good PSU's but the fact is they have only been out recently now after months or a year their failing - bad news as RMA is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom