Help - computer just exploded! Now what?

Many many thanks for all the posts guys, really appreciate the quick coming to the rescue!

Yep, definitely was the Corsair PSU, I had a few clues...
Bits of black soot etc. coating the CPU heatsink (PSU is mounted at the top of the case)

Bits falling out of the PSU when I removed it

Everything (thankfully) working fine when I've put another PSU (Tagan) in....so there were subtle clues indicating what caused it.

Right...anyone have any idea how much it will cost to RMA it if they don't cover the postage?

ALso...I'm going to replace it in the meantime...can't be without my GTX for a month or so, so I'm looking for recommendations for a 750(ish)W PSU...preferably one:

That has been out more than a year and proven that it doesn't have a self destruct mechanism.

One that can be RMA'd in the UK should the need arise.

Modular connections

Quiet as a dormouse sneaking biscuits.

Cheers :)

Zalman all the way, but they are expensive.

They definitely have UK RMA? Last time I built a comp it took ages to get my DOA X1800XT replaced, and i'm on the verge of buying my new parts and the Corsair 620 was my choice; If it goes pop i'm not willing to wait ages to replace it. The Zalman 750W Modular is only £5 more than the Corsair, so I reckon that's on my list.

Looks like i'm looking for different RAM aswell, heard a fair bit about Corsair RAM being DOA.

I might get another Tagan, I've still got 580W Modular one which was running for 2 1/2 years on average 12 hours a day, still works.

Least I've got UK RMA if it went wrong.

Anyone used the Gigabyte PSU's? I know their Motherboards & Graphics cards are UK RMA, wonder if their PSU's are?

I might get another Tagan, I've still got 580W Modular one which was running for 2 1/2 years on average 12 hours a day, still works.

Least I've got UK RMA if it went wrong.

Anyone used the Gigabyte PSU's? I know their Motherboards & Graphics cards are UK RMA, wonder if their PSU's are?

I think i've probably got the same tagan as you, Easycon series?

I was considering another Tagan but loads of people reported that the reliability of the new ones is really poor :(

What's the general consensus on PSU makes at the moment?

Corsair...not going back there :(
Tagan - used to be good but not so much now?
Enermax - I've heard good things about them for a long time but never used one.
Zalman - good things mentioned about these as well it seems.

I've got to get myself fixed up with one asap so what would you guys recommend?

I will be buying a new rig next week so I have been reseaching PSUs for the last few months.
Enermax Modu82+ is meant to be a very good PSU. I haven't seen anyone complain about them. The 625W version can be had for £83.
Zalman also seem quite good but the blue LED has put me off as the PC will be used in my bedroom.

I've the Corsair 620W. At the time when I bought it, every single spec was using Corsairs almost without exception.

I wish there was more data available to us than just a general feeling from the forums.

From my own experience there's always PSUs going pop, when we were all buying Corsairs it was Tagans going pop, and then just before that Hipers, and before that Q-Tecs.

The only real way we'd be able to tell is to ask OcUK what their returns are like on PSUs. I do see that for their own built PCs they use Corsair PSUs, which I guess is an endorsement.

Edit : I should have said the best thing to do is blame the wife. Don't go for the "You broke it." and try to justify that, go a step beyond and have a go at her for "Why did you break it? It's my pride and joy and you destroyed it. Are you trying to do a Bobbit to me?"

Last edited:
TBF if a product is popular and owned by a vast amount of people its obvious we are going to see more faulty units. If youre put off by Corsair Id recommend Enermax, they have always been spot on for me, great quality.

Great.. now I'm living in fear of my 620 popping any day.

Let's hope it's just because so many people use them on the forums!

As far as paying back postage I believe they are required to. OCUK have always paid back my postage when I requested it (I post from ireland so £10 a motherboard roughly). Just make sure you request it when you contact them.

Great.. now I'm living in fear of my 620 popping any day.

Let's hope it's just because so many people use them on the forums!

As far as paying back postage I believe they are required to. OCUK have always paid back my postage when I requested it (I post from ireland so £10 a motherboard roughly). Just make sure you request it when you contact them.

If something goes pop, do you have to contact the company (IE Corsair) or can you just send it to OC? I know I did with my X1800 like two years ago, but with people talking about RMAs in various countries, I'm not quite sure now :S

If something goes pop, do you have to contact the company (IE Corsair) or can you just send it to OC? I know I did with my X1800 like two years ago, but with people talking about RMAs in various countries, I'm not quite sure now :S

I *think* if the product died within 12 months then you can RMA it back to OcUK (unless it comes with a longer OcUK warranty). If it died after 12 months you need to RMA it to the manufacturer.

What's the general consensus on PSU makes at the moment?

Corsair...not going back there :(
Tagan - used to be good but not so much now?
Enermax - I've heard good things about them for a long time but never used one.
Zalman - good things mentioned about these as well it seems.

I've got to get myself fixed up with one asap so what would you guys recommend?

Seasonic ;)

So, we have half a dozen or so reported failures of the Corsair 620 on the forum, and suddenly it is a bad PSU and being blamed for a high failure rate. Crazy.

Anyway - you can have bad luck with any brand or model of PSU. Understandable the original poster wants something different, so Tagan, Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, Coolermaster perhaps, any number of good brands and models out there

Back
Top Bottom