Help - computer just exploded! Now what?

there's been a lot of corsair dying, just like the hipers. is it because both had flaws or is it because they where the most recommended psu and thus 90% of the forum uses them.

Hehehe :)
I think that's the trouble for forum culture, you get a big snowball effect with people continually recommending a particular piece of hardware, others read it and assume it must be true so the 'myth' (albeit maybe based in truth) continues. A few years ago people were recommending Hiper and Tagan PSUs like nobodies business. Over the last year or so it's been Corsair.

Incidentally I think that JonnyGuru site is great. They actually go quite in depth into testing PSUs and let you know exactly what is under the hood (something you can rarely find in normal reviews or the specs listed on shop websites). I was a bit wary of getting my NorthQ PSU until I read the review there.

Any of the more expensive ones, you get what you pay for and the manufacturers don't use just any components they can source for a knock-down price.

No manufacturer makes their own caps, regs, power transistors or transformers - they just buy them in and they can all get caught out by a bad batch. Blame Chinese QC (remember the motherboards with the exploding caps?). Cheap PSUs die anyway because the design specs are cheap, mid price PSUs can die despite better output margins if the manufacturer used a cheap component that didn't meet the spec, Top range PSUs can die for the same reason (but less often because the design allows more headspace and components are less stressed). None of them are immune, and I had an expensive Enermax go bang.

I see it as Corsairs were good quality and reliable upon release, after growing user base, reviews and recommendation Corsair needed to increase supply, maybe cutting a few corners here and there to keep up with supply, ultimately these batches are starting to see some issues.

Like I say, just a theory, my HX620 has been brillia BOOM ........

funny thing about psus and the dont buy cheap brigade is the only ones ive ever had go wrong are the dear models / brands :D

most reliable psu i own is a £25 mercury 400w one
next most reliable a pair of £21 mercury 300w

- or, the most amasingly reliable anyway, given the abuse they get/got.

Why should you cancel? just because some people's units broke does not mean yours will. It's a highly recommended PSU and as such many people bought the models in that brand. I bought my HX520 when it first came out and that PSU has seen 2 major PC upgrades and various smaller upgrades and is still kicking years on.

If you research into PSU models and brands you'll always find people who have had x model of y brand that has died z amount of times.

Why gutted? A handful of people on the OcUK forums having problems with Corsairs doesn't mean every single unit out there is a ticking time bomb.

Corsair is getting a fair bashing in this thread so wondered whether it was worth changing to Zalman or another brand.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Why should you cancel? just because some people's units broke does not mean yours will. It's a highly recommended PSU and as such many people bought the models in that brand. I bought my HX520 when it first came out and that PSU has seen 2 major PC upgrades and various smaller upgrades and is still kicking years on.

If you research into PSU models and brands you'll always find people who have had x model of y brand that has died z amount of times.

Good to hear, thanks.

I've currently got 3 self-built PC's, all with Enermax PSU's in.

Main Rig
Model: 720W Infiniti
Usage: 24/7 for past 16 months

Backup Rig
Model: 425W Modu82+
Usage: 24/7 for past 7 months

Previous Main Rig
Model: 550W EG651P-VE
Usage: 24/7 for 6 years followed by 16 months of light use

As you can probably tell I'm a big fan of Enermax and rightly so as I've never had a problem with any of mine and the latest ones are efficient, quiet, well cooled and come with modular cables.

I've never felt like trying something new out when it comes to power supplies. Reliability is my number 1 priority.

I used Enermax when everyone said Hiper.
I used Enermax when everyone said Corsair.
I use Enermax...

...but I am sure you will see anecdotal evidence of the most popular one exploding, just through sheer numbers on any hardware forum and confirmation bias.

Where do you stand with the company who makes the PSU if the PSU exploded and took out your PC. No point in a RMA if the other parts dont work!? Surley you can get some compensation??

Back
Top Bottom