Help me stop my desk from going saggy

Associate
Sorry to bump an old thread, but seen this thread and it had relevant information so I figured best not to create another one! I have a 200cmx63.5cmx4cm Oak worktop from Worktop Express arriving next week, I'll be putting steel box section legs from The Hairpin Leg Co. I will have an aquarium on the desk, it will be directly above one of the legs, it will weigh around 100KG total and this weight will be spread through a 60cmx45cm footprint. I was thinking of grabbing one of the Uni Channel Struts mentioned above. Do you think this would be ok?

Soldato
OP
3 years on - has it resisted deflection entirely? No sag whatsoever if you throw a level on the desk? (Maybe the front has a bit?)
So I actually got rid of it last year, and when doing so, I noticed that the front of it had began to sag, but the rear (where the beams had been screwed in) were absolutely fine.

If I were to do this again, I'd try and find something lower profile, and install the beams more centrally. The reason I didn't is because my knees would hit the metal.

Soldato
So I actually got rid of it last year, and when doing so, I noticed that the front of it had began to sag, but the rear (where the beams had been screwed in) were absolutely fine.

If I were to do this again, I'd try and find something lower profile, and install the beams more centrally. The reason I didn't is because my knees would hit the metal.

You might be better off using a router to recess the beams flush with the underside next time.

I don't think going for a flat piece of metal would work. You'd need the right angle strength to prevent the metal from slowly deflecting, too.

Soldato
OP
You might be better off using a router to recess the beams flush with the underside next time.

I don't think going for a flat piece of metal would work. You'd need the right angle strength to prevent the metal from slowly deflecting, too.

Agreed, but the beams I used were quite thick - I’m sure I could find one smaller :)

Soldato
Bumping an old thread, seen as this one is specific to stopping desk sagging.

I have an Ikea Karlby 246mm worktop arriving this Friday, with two Alex drawers and the Alex storage as well to go underneath. The “gap” to sit in will be 138cm.

I definitely want to get some sort of steel to prevent sagging (and to clip cables to). Besides the couple of links mentioned where could I get such a thing? I have a Wickes or B&Q near me (but no car :o )
Or if online, what the heck are they called? TIA.

Soldato
Bumping an old thread, seen as this one is specific to stopping desk sagging.

I have an Ikea Karlby 246mm worktop arriving this Friday, with two Alex drawers and the Alex storage as well to go underneath. The “gap” to sit in will be 138cm.

I definitely want to get some sort of steel to prevent sagging (and to clip cables to). Besides the couple of links mentioned where could I get such a thing? I have a Wickes or B&Q near me (but no car :o )
Or if online, what the heck are they called? TIA.

Angle steel, both B and Q and Wickes should stock them.
First thing I would try is to screw something like this along the back edge of the gap:

Assuming the worktop is the 38mm thickness version.

Last edited:
Soldato
Angle steel, both B and Q and Wickes should stock them.
First thing I would try is to screw something like this along the back edge of the gap:
Perfect thanks. And a 1m long would be perfect for the 138cm gap right? (Without going into all of the maths!)

Second question as I'm a total DIY layman... How exactly would one attach that? :) Drill tiny pilot holes and just use short (<15mm?) screws? I see someone mentioned using washers too?

Anything more complicated than that? I don't want to fubar my lovely worktop!

Last edited:
Soldato
@Scam

It would cover most of it, so should give the support it requires. As I said it would be the first thing I would try and go from there, however I would be suprised if it still requires more support after that.

Yes, pilot some holes with a small drill bit (the drill bit needs to be thinner than the shank of the screw), then screw in, perhaps 4 under and 4 at the back. Shouldn't need washers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Perfect thanks. And a 1m long would be perfect for the 138cm gap right? (Without going into all of the maths!)

Second question as I'm a total DIY layman... How exactly would one attach that? :) Drill tiny pilot holes and just use short (<15mm?) screws? I see someone mentioned using washers too?

Anything more complicated than that? I don't want to fubar my lovely worktop!

I drilled a number of wood screws through my slotted U beam (roughly 12 from memory) and used metal washers to increase the surface area of the applied pressure on the beam.

Definitely want a drill to do this. Even though the Karlby is MDF, it's quite dense. I tapped the screws in with a hammer first, just to act as a guide.

Soldato
Oh I see. Interesting, do you think that provides more strength? Probably still won't stop the front sagging though.

And means you cant cable-tie your cables to it either.
Screwing into the back would offer more support, and you can use longer screws. If the back part is well supported and doesn't sag the front shouldn't.

For cable management a few large screw hooks should do the trick.

Associate
I made mine from a sheet of 4x2 18mm ply. I made aprons of c10cm height and 2 x 18mm sandwiched, this was OK for the front, but the rear needed a length of angle iron added to stop sag.

Having twin 27" monitors on an arm puts a lot of weight through a small area, but the angle iron has stopped most/all of the sag.

Soldato
Alright guys the Alex drawers are all built and the desk is getting put together today once we’ve done our food shopping and got a nice bit of lamb from the butchers :p

Question re the steel (purchased yesterday).. Am I right in that it’d be more tidy/easy to have the L ledge “facing” the back? IE so if you’re looking underneath the desk from the front you’d see the vertical edge of it, and the upside down “shelf” is on the backside?

I’d assumed I’d do it the other way but realised for any cables that need to come up the middle of the desk (monitor, keyboard etc) they’d be stuck on the front side of the vertical and it’d look messy bending them across it.

With the upside down “shelf” facing backwards, it’s slightly more faff to get under the desk and tie them all up, but at least those monitor etc cables are free to come straight up the back. Make sense? :p

(A diagram would be easier, but I’m on my phone blah)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a total clown. Desk build going well, very happy. The grey/blue clashes a little with the colour on the walls but meh. They don't make them in black anymore and white would have looked cheap (imo). I don't think you'll notice much when the room is darker and has stuff on/in.

nQ8Umve.jpeg

But, I'm an idiot. Got all the way to this stage, my monitor arm arrived an hour ago. Let's get cracking on installing anything.

Oh yeah, the Alex storage cupboard has a back. No holes for PC cables. What a numpty :o I don't own a jigsaw or multitool... Do I just run out and buy one, and start making random holes in the back? I figure the weight is being taken by the drawers on the left so no need to worry too much. What do you think? Any particular shapes/sizes I should aim for? :confused: Some airflow would be good, maybe big hole at the bottom for cables, a few small (~7-8mm) holes along the top for air to escape?

EDIT: The worktop is not attached, we've twizeled the left two drawers/storage round so I they're side on and I can easily get to the back for drilling. Just not sure what to do :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom