Help needed RE: Failing my degree, where to now?

Soldato
But I think it's done on pre-outgoings pay. Then they look at your outgoings (credit cards and other loans and dependents).

I've had three mortgages approved, neither were affected by the £12k I owe on the student loan. Could just be lucky though!

hm, you may not have applied for the theoritical maximum then.

Not sure, either way if you want a house its going to have to get paid off isnt it, as the only way to avoid paying it off is by cash in hand(hardly going to be a super high paid job?) or by earning pennies and living in a council/rented place.

Associate
erm, you seem to be somewhat misguided.

If you'v got 16k of debt on a student loan thats 16k less that the bank will give you when you apply for a mortgage(well the maximum they will give you will be 16k less).

So lets say the bank are only willing to give me 100k mortgage, after looking at my income etc, they then look at any current debts I have.. 16k.. so..

100k-16k = 84k

It does matter

Indeed
They may look at affordability for a calculation and they will ask what your student loan deduction is and take it into account. Either you earn so little you dont pay it off and do that forever (not the best way to live) or you earn above the threshold and it is taken into account until it is paid off

Soldato
erm, you seem to be somewhat misguided.

If you'v got 16k of debt on a student loan thats 16k less that the bank will give you when you apply for a mortgage(well the maximum they will give you will be 16k less).

So lets say the bank are only willing to give me 100k mortgage, after looking at my income etc, they then look at any current debts I have.. 16k.. so..

100k-16k = 84k

It does matter

Compare the repayments of a 16k student loan to a 16k credit card. There not even comparable. They would not do what you state either they would simply consider your affordability of what debts you already have commitments to. 16k on a mortgage is signifcantly less a month that even minimum payments on a 16k CC.

Then of course if you are out of work the student loan mean jack to what you need to pay every month.

Soldato
Being a uni drop out I would say GO BACK!

Having a sciences degree could open a whole bunch of career jobs that you just won't get otherwise. It's taken me about 6 years to finally fall into a career I am properly interested in. I have wished time and time again that I had followed the Maths and Physics I did at A-level into an engineering based degree and career.

Soldato
Are you able to pay back the Student Loan in a lump sum? I don't know what the deal is with it automatically coming off my wages, it did for a couple of months then stopped...
I'd rather just pay it (~6k) than have it gain interest and snowball in to massive debt.

I lack faith in the SLC.

Associate
hm, you may not have applied for the theoritical maximum then.

Not sure, either way if you want a house its going to have to get paid off isnt it, as the only way to avoid paying it off is by cash in hand(hardly going to be a super high paid job?) or by earning pennies and living in a council/rented place.

Remember banks offer graduate morgages also. I can (well could, might be different now!) borrow more on one of these with my student loans debt than I can on a normal morgage with no debt...

Soldato
Soldato
Im starting uni again at 21...

I failed my 2nd year too, but of a course i lost interest and belief in.

Really excited to start again, plus im sure my attitude will be much better to succeed at something im going to enjoy and i know i can potentially reap a lot of benefits in my future.

Only start again though if its what you can see yourself doing in 5-10years time.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately I cannot resit the year again as I've already resit the failed modules - the only option available from my Pharmacology course is drop out; basically, I've been given a chance and messed up.

It's a damn shame as my other modules are relatively high, most are in the mid 2:1. Essentially, wasted time with nothing to prove at the end apart from life experience. Just have to take this in the chin and now I've got to decide; to either start afresh or head out into the "Real World".

I've kinda brought shame to the family for ended up as a drop out, as disappointed as my mum will be, I'm most disappointed by myself.

As said before, shall have to speak with my uni's careers advisor tomorrow, see what options are available to me - especially in doing a new degree like Chemistry, can I miss the first year e.t.c.

Anyone else have similar experiences and how you came to cope with the dilemma?

Soldato
I assume if you are in Southsea then you are going to Portsmouth Uni?

Southsea = win, I live there :D

With regards to your situation, get forumlating a plan; visit the careers advisor and get all the information together to make the best decision you can.

Do you really want to stay on at uni, coudl you cope with starting again? Are you sick of being a student and just want £££?

Soldato
OP
What happened to make you fail? where did it all go wrong?

It's a mixture of personal life - something happened last September, caused a long tiff between me, my mum and my girlfriend. That was an issue but I can't blame it on that. I'm pinning it down to bad organisation and revision. The technique of answering these 2 papers must have been poor as all my other papers were great.

Something about physiological side of things that I don't get right. 20 Credit Module was "Renal, Respiratory and Endocrinology" and the 10 Credit module was "Neuropharmacology II". All my other modules are more chem and maths based, so I'm fine with them.

And I'm in 2 minds - getting a degree would open doors for an "easier" future and can help more financially or work now and start getting into the working world from the bottom (if I can find a job with what I've got)

Soldato
OP
sounds like you should do straight chemistry? maybe?

I did have a very strong interest in Chemistry since A level, just didn't go straight into Chemistry as I wasn't entirely sure of the Chemistry career route back then and I wanted to try Medicine.

Now with a wider understanding, I know there can be quite a few routes for Chemistry, even then, the BSc itself opens doors just because I have it on papers (what a weird world we live in)

But realising it now is a couple years too late.
3 more years of studying; with this setback, I worry I'll mess up again in 2 years time and coming out yet again, empty handed with more debt?!

Soldato
if its something you enjoy more and you know you could do well in... there is no worry for failing.

your only 22, i mean im only 21 starting again...

Id rather be 25 going into a good career than 25 still looking for a good career

Back
Top Bottom