Help needed RE: Failing my degree, where to now?

Una

Una

Associate
That is true...

Anyone else have a different view on things?

It hardly matters really so long as you find something your happy doing in the end. If it takes you longer than usual so be it. I might go back and study a Phd later on when im 25+ and quit a reasonably high payed job because I prefer the lifestyle... I don't fancy living my life like some kinda scripted drama where you be doing something at some age etc..

Not having a degree does limit your options a little but there are still plenty of things you can do without one. Uni really isn't for everyone no matter what the government tries to push on people.

Soldato
I've failed my second year (well 3 of the 4 modules :p) and im just resitting the year. Much prefer that to spamming resits over summer. Retake the year or change course tbh.

Soldato
as a graduate id say put more thought into it, i completely wasted my time at uni and came out with a degree which will be of no use to me, as im currently jumping through the hoops to be an aircraft engineering techician, which has nothing to do with what i did at uni.
Ill end up getting an aeronautical engineering degree eventually out of it.
Lots of jobs are stepping stones to degrees.

Associate
First post for me here. I've just graduated this year with a first in Biomedical Science...I didn't have a clue what I want to do even at the end of my second year, but now I've realised that I want to go on to medicine or dentistry. Its never too late to go back to uni :) (although I'll be 27 by the time I finally finish, lol). Also afaik quite a few courses will push you into the second year of the new course. Depends on the uni and the exact course I guess

Soldato
Well as I previously asked I assume as you are in Southsea you are at Portsmouth Uni?

The reason I ask (other than living there), is that my gf works as a course admin in one of the departments of the uni. She has read this post at work and told me the following:

I'm not sure if it's different because he's in another department, but as of this year the Board of Examiners has been given the opportunity to give a 'compensated pass' at the referral boards (previously this could only be given at the end of year boards). This mean's he might (depending on if his department are slap happy about giving compensations out) get compensated in the 10 credit unit and be able to trail the 20. This is usually decided on the students overall performance during the year. If he doesn't get comped he should be given the opportunity to spend the year repeating just the failed units (paying a lower fee and getting capped at 40%). So best wait till the Board of Examiners has actually sat before making any rash decisions.

Like i say though it's a different department, so.....

Good luck in what you decide :)

Soldato
I am being rubbish and have not read the replies, I do hope someone has informed you the obvious thing to do would be to repeat the year? You should have no problem doing that just talk to your tutor and find out how to do it where you are.

Chemistry is good, respected degree but you will earn less in the industry compared to what you were studying before. If you did not enjoy what you were doing why would like like chemistry which will have more physics involved in it?

Soldato
First post for me here. I've just graduated this year with a first in Biomedical Science...I didn't have a clue what I want to do even at the end of my second year, but now I've realised that I want to go on to medicine or dentistry. Its never too late to go back to uni :) (although I'll be 27 by the time I finally finish, lol). Also afaik quite a few courses will push you into the second year of the new course. Depends on the uni and the exact course I guess

Claimed :)

I would have thought there was every chance you could transfer onto the second year of a different degree. When you do graduate employers will look quite highly at someone who took a knockback but then carried on and made a success out of their Uni time!

bum

bum

Associate
Havent really read through the post yet, but surely if you failed 2nd year, you can redo the whole year again (or just the courses that you failed on 2nd year.

Obviously this probably depends on your uni's policy and you are wishing to stick to your current degree.

Go speak to the campus adminisson or something on the enrollment day.

Associate
I failed second year at a top london uni, and decided to retake the whole year (after failin resits). Bad idea - my heart wasn't in it and basically wasted a whole year retaking.
Then I found a job locally at an architects where they took me on , from the basis of my good a-levels and some CAD experience at uni. Even tho the wage wasnt great, the experience was more valuable and I learnt SO much in one year. Whilst i was working, i reapplied to do architecture through UCAS. I have now just finihsed my first year at uni doin architecture and its been great. Am now back at the architects working the summer and earning a bit and cant wait to get back to uni.
Youre never too old, im 23 now and will be 25 when i graduate. i will be at least 30 before i can call myself a qualified architect. The road is long but is something i know i will find worthwhile doing.
Basically, my advice is, don't retake the year if you are not enjoying it and don't see a future for that subject. You should find out what you really want, and apply for that, just go for the fresh start and you will not regret it.

Caporegime
Are you able to pay back the Student Loan in a lump sum? I don't know what the deal is with it automatically coming off my wages, it did for a couple of months then stopped...
I'd rather just pay it (~6k) than have it gain interest and snowball in to massive debt.

I lack faith in the SLC.

It won't snowball into a massive debt - it is pegged to inflation (albeit RPI as opposed to CPI) so you only pay back what you borrowed in the first place (albeit at todays rates) - either way there are few logical reasons to pay it back early.

As for the SLC yes they are muppets -I know of one guy who had 40k taken off him in 1 year.

Caporegime
Unfortunately I cannot resit the year again as I've already resit the failed modules - the only option available from my Pharmacology course is drop out; basically, I've been given a chance and messed up.....

As said before, shall have to speak with my uni's careers advisor tomorrow, see what options are available to me - especially in doing a new degree like Chemistry, can I miss the first year e.t.c.

Do the above first - but if they don't let you carry credits or you don't fancy another 3 years then try the Open University - you should be able to transfer your credits across and finish a degree with them.

Associate
If you struggled with A Level physics then it's possible you may struggle with straight chemistry. I doubt pharmacology and chemistry share enough common modules for you to transfer straight into the second year, especially without a solid grounding in first year modules/lab skills etc. If you were to start again, wouldn't you want to do it properly (from the beginning) anyway? Otherwise you might end up at this point again some time in the future.

Stop worrying about what your family think about your actions. I don't think the career advisor is going to be much help in this instance, try going to your head of department or personal tutor... I'm sure it's possible to salvage something.

Soldato
There's no shame in doing what you did, however disappointed you and your family may be. You've now learned a great deal about your strengths and weaknesses and you still have a desire to succeed. As other posters have said University isn't for everyone and you can still make a great success of your life.

However, you have an obvious aptitude for pure science and it would be a pity to ignore that. If gaining a degree in science becomes your personal mountain, you must assess whether you can climb it. Regrets about failed potential later in life can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Associate
It hardly matters really so long as you find something your happy doing in the end. If it takes you longer than usual so be it. I might go back and study a Phd later on when im 25+ and quit a reasonably high payed job because I prefer the lifestyle... I don't fancy living my life like some kinda scripted drama where you be doing something at some age etc..

Not having a degree does limit your options a little but there are still plenty of things you can do without one. Uni really isn't for everyone no matter what the government tries to push on people.

What would you do a phd in?

Una

Una

Associate
What would you do a phd in?

Not sure the exact topic I would go down. Something to do with computer security .. got plenty of ideas of possible topics floating around in my head. Just don't know if they would be worth researching / spending the majority of my time on for 3-4 years. You basically have a rough idea of what you want to do. Then spend the first year or so narrowing it down. I want to study abroad as well so I can carry on with my hobby (snowboarding) so working at a uni in that area seems like a decent option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Take the student debt on the chin, its not a big issue. Move out of your parents house and go to uni far far away.

Change to a different subject to something that you will enjoy then go and actually enjoy life, you'll be suprised what a difference living in halls can make (its awesome).

Associate
Not sure the exact topic I would go down. Something to do with computer security .. got plenty of ideas of possible topics floating around in my head. Just don't know if they would be worth researching / spending the majority of my time on for 3-4 years. You basically have a rough idea of what you want to do. Then spend the first year or so narrowing it down. I want to study abroad as well so I can carry on with my hobby (snowboarding) so working at a uni in that area seems like a decent option.

So would you consider a career in academia rather than what you do now and give up the pay? (I'm going by a thread a while ago where I think you said you did pen testing?)

Back
Top Bottom