Help! What snake is this & will it kill me?

Soldato
You can literally get corn snakes that have loads of pattern, or none at all, in pretty much any color, so you cant base it on its patterns really :/

I realise this but despite them coming in loads of colours they all have the same style of patches (except the stripped variety) and checkerboard bellies.

Soldato
I realise this but despite them coming in loads of colours they all have the same style of patches (except the stripped variety) and checkerboard bellies.

Either way, its someone's pet, whether its a corn / rat snake, definitely not a wild species

All though...OP has not posted back since...maybe its a new deadly species:eek:

Man of Honour
OP
So no-one knows for certain then? :p
I've emailed a few organisations (inc. a Corn Snake one) but haven't had any responses as yet, the RSPCA were reluctant to help unless it was an indigenous species which was suffering in any way and to be honest I don't think it is.
No neighbours have lost any pets either so it's still a mystery and I haven't seen it in the shed today, I hope the little fella's ok though.

Permabanned
Op, I'm an expert, I expertise in staying away from something I don't know **** all about, call in the RSPCA, stay away from snake, you never know it might want to eat you alive. It could be an unknown Tory Government deadly creation to reduce the population.

Last edited:
Associate
I know a snake breeder, she is on holiday without internets so I can't ask her but from looking at her facebook feed it seems snake breeders like breeding snakes with the specific intention of creating snakes with unusual patterns/markings for their breed type.

In short, could be anything. Looks like a young rat snake to me though.

Man of Honour
OP
It's a Corn Snake apparently -

Hi John,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delayed response to your email. We have had a huge number of enquiries in over the past few days!
We can confirm that this is actually a corn snake. This is bound to be an escapee. Don't worry, they are completely harmless and popular childrens pets. If the snake is still in your outbuilding it is best to contact the RSPCA. You can tell them that the snake has been positively identified.
Snakes don't need to eat regularly and it has found shade in your outbuilding so it should be ok for a period of time.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Angela
Enquiries Service
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation

If it's still around I'll try the RSPCA again now I know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom