[HELP] x570 Chipset Fan running at 5000rpm 100% of the time, no matter the config on BIOS

Associate
wow thank you! my sytem was loud af because of that tiny fan.
WEQ1LYD

Soldato
Because the controller pin on yours wasn't bent and therefore disconnected from the controller.
You saying my pins are bent and therefore not connected?

trust me I checked. All pins are fine. Chipset fan spins up when I power on. Just doesn’t spin up during use.

Associate
You saying my pins are bent and therefore not connected?

trust me I checked. All pins are fine. Chipset fan spins up when I power on. Just doesn’t spin up during use.

The opposite - your pins *aren't* bent, so it's all working OK. The problem with the loud, 100% on-all-the-time chipset fans seems to be because the people who are experiencing the problem have a bent pin

Associate
I had same issue with MSI X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI. Chipset were running 100% (~5600 rpm) since day one. No matter what modes I changed in BIOS (manual, silent, balanced) it just stayed constantly at around 5600 rpm. At first I didn't even noticed that, and I thought my PC is so noisy because of 6 other fans. Until my friend bought same motherboard and we started to talk about fan speeds, and he said his chipset fan doesn't even spin until 75C+ . I was like "wtf", mine is constantly at 5600 rpm.

So I started to look for issues. Started with BIOS updates, reset defaults, unplugged chipset fan etc. Nothing helped.

Until, I closely inspected chipset fan socket and noticed that socket has 3 pin needles on motherboard, but fan header has 4 pin holes. Socket is so small that you can barely inspect it, and just on corner I barely noticed bent 4th pin needle. I carefully bent it back with needle and carefully plugged fan header back in and IT WORKED! Now chipset fan modes works perfectly and its controllable, and suddenly my PC is so silent.

It means that socket pins were bent already from factory, because fan header were pre-installed and plugged in already when I unboxed my motherboard.

Made account here just to make this post and maybe could help someone.

@CodeKJ thank you very much.

I own a MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI, with the chipset fan problem, working continuously at 5000 rpm.

As you described, I applied your solution and now works fine.

Direct links to images:

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Regards.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm having a problem with this too. The board explorer on the BIOS shows the Chipset fan is disconnected:

o5wLtNi.jpg

I disconnected and reconnected it but that didn't fix it. For now I have disconnected it and keeping an eye on temperatures.

Next plan is to either try and bend the pin back myself or RMA it? :|

Update:

Mine appears to be fine...

50xylkx.jpg

Board explorer still thinks it is disconnected though

Last edited:
Associate
The number of people signing up to say their 4th fan pin was bent from the factory :eek:
It's insane. I saw my comment on this from back in December 2019 directing OP to that guy's response and since then half a dozen people have found this thread through a search engine and specifically signed up to thank the man. What a legend.

Associate
Bumping this. I had the same on an MSI B550i gaming edge wifi. Chipset fan running constantly at 11k rpm :eek: checked the fan header and sure enough there was a bent pin from the factory!

Thanks to wherever found this. Fully working after gently bending the pin back and connecting all four pins. :)

Associate
Ye same here same bent pin, bend back and also made the hole in connecter a bit bigger for the pin as I think it was that that bent the pin or someone just doesn't like their jobs while there doing this, but working now.
sooooo much queiter, June 2021 UK still happening or batch made at the same time.

Thank you so much :)

Soldato
also made the hole in connecter a bit bigger for the pin as I think it was that that bent the pin

That's the simple explanation. The fan connectors are moulded imperfectly, and quality control didn't catch it. I bent and broke a pin on a motherboard because of an imperfect USB 3.0 connector on a Fractal Meshify C Mini for the same reason. Good thing the board had an extra onboard USB 3.0. These days I always check the USB connectors for hole spacing, but this thread has made me want to check everything that is going to have pins inserted from now on lol.

Soldato
I'm having a problem with this too. The board explorer on the BIOS shows the Chipset fan is disconnected:

I disconnected and reconnected it but that didn't fix it. For now I have disconnected it and keeping an eye on temperatures.

Next plan is to either try and bend the pin back myself or RMA it? :|

Update:

Mine appears to be fine...

Board explorer still thinks it is disconnected though

@rwm24

Wondering if you ever tried plugging a different fan into it to see if it would work.

Associate
Just bought the Tomahawk and have the exact same problem. Haven't fixed it yet as I need to take the damn mobo out of the case to do it (no space to maneuver). Other people reported similar problems with MSI Unify, so it may be an issue with x570 boards. The updated ones will have no fan, all passive cooling, but I couldn't wait for it to finally be released :/ Though probably disconnecting the fan could be good enough... Who the hell mounts fans on chipsets if you can get away without having one?

Associate
Just bought the Tomahawk and have the exact same problem. Haven't fixed it yet as I need to take the damn mobo out of the case to do it (no space to maneuver). Other people reported similar problems with MSI Unify, so it may be an issue with x570 boards. The updated ones will have no fan, all passive cooling, but I couldn't wait for it to finally be released :/ Though probably disconnecting the fan could be good enough... Who the hell mounts fans on chipsets if you can get away without having one?
Disconnecting the fan could result in overheating chipset.

Associate
Disconnecting the fan could result in overheating chipset.

Meh, not really as we can see with the new boards being released with passive cooling only. Even with the fan, it spins up only at higher temps and I don't really know what you'd have to do to push the chipset beyond 90 degrees. This small fan is rubbish anyway - imho makes more sense to have some normal fans at the bottom blowing air across the motherboard.

Anyway, UPDATE: the fix worked! I've managed to fix the fan, so it's all in order. Of course it barely spins up, as I said, but at least the mobo is in working order.

Associate
Meh, not really as we can see with the new boards being released with passive cooling only. Even with the fan, it spins up only at higher temps and I don't really know what you'd have to do to push the chipset beyond 90 degrees. This small fan is rubbish anyway - imho makes more sense to have some normal fans at the bottom blowing air across the motherboard.

Anyway, UPDATE: the fix worked! I've managed to fix the fan, so it's all in order. Of course it barely spins up, as I said, but at least the mobo is in working order.

I would not be comfortable having my chipset above 50 degrees and in my humble opinion that is easily achievable - I just have to turn the PC and leave it on in the summer to achieve it and that is with comparatively good heatsink. Lets not forget that this is just behind he videocard and if you put a hot one it will not help with temperatures.
Just out of interest - what are your chipset temperatures afer fix and what is your ambient temperature?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom