High-End PC £4,000 budget: Buying final parts this month!

Associate
OP
get cl16 ram for half the price and a d15 cooler, use money saved to get a 3080 or snag the amd equivalent at release
Yeah thinking of just biting the bullet for the CL16 Ram however even the CL16's are all overpriced at the moment due to stock levels. - just going to wait a couple of weeks and see what pops up.

I definitely wanted an AIO cooler and bought one now for £99.

I have ordered a 3080 but I have been told they aren't going to be arriving until April. I'll cancel and buy a 3080 Ti if it's good value for money unlike the 3090.

Associate
No mistake with the memory. The high price will be for the 3600 MHz with a 14 CAS latency. - the Team Group Pack 8 is 16 CAS latency.
No I get that, and I also get that this is firmly into the "f it, I have the money might as well have the best stuff", I would strongly urge you to reconsider here though, because with this memory you are paying nearly double over a CL16 memory for literally a single digit percentage increase, if even that, and then only in extremely specific workloads. There's plenty of videos that show that nearly all benchmarks and definitely all games can't show any difference between CL18 and CL16, and you want to spend a small fortune for CL14?

At the end of the day - it's your money, and I totally get wanting to buy the best stuff available no matter the price. Trust me, I've been there before. But in this case maybe get normal CL18 or CL16 ram, and the rest of the money put towards getting a bigger SSD? You'll see an actually measurable improvement from going from 500GB 980 PRO to a 1TB 980 PRO, at least that's something that does actually show up in benchmarks and you do get a larger cache should you need one.

Associate
OP
No I get that, and I also get that this is firmly into the "f it, I have the money might as well have the best stuff", I would strongly urge you to reconsider here though, because with this memory you are paying nearly double over a CL16 memory for literally a single digit percentage increase, if even that, and then only in extremely specific workloads. There's plenty of videos that show that nearly all benchmarks and definitely all games can't show any difference between CL18 and CL16, and you want to spend a small fortune for CL14?

At the end of the day - it's your money, and I totally get wanting to buy the best stuff available no matter the price. Trust me, I've been there before. But in this case maybe get normal CL18 or CL16 ram, and the rest of the money put towards getting a bigger SSD? You'll see an actually measurable improvement from going from 500GB 980 PRO to a 1TB 980 PRO, at least that's something that does actually show up in benchmarks and you do get a larger cache should you need one.
I bit the bullet and went for some Samsung CL16 memory that was in stock in the end. G.Skill Trident Z Royal at 3600 MHz for £260.

Honestly I don't need more storage. The 500GB is just for my OS and is more than enough.

500GB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD
2TB Corsair MP600 NVMe SSD
2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD
500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD (my old drive)
+
3x 6TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

That's 5TB in SSD speeds and 6TB in HDD, which is more than enough for me.

Only upgrade I need now is a 3080 but I refuse to pay scalper prices lol.

Associate
Haha, I work in insurance and only have an average-ish salary. - however, it's all overtime. I get paid 1.5x for weekdays and 2.0x for weekends. I worked over 90+ hours in overtime last month to help fund this. (That's not including my normal 35 hours per week) so was just a hard graft.

Honestly, I actually rarely game as much as I used to. I probably only game around 4-8 hours a week.

I would love to get into streaming though but saturated industry and yeah I'll definitely take some pics. :)

I would genuinely reconsider this build. Yes it is great, but it is a lot of money for something that isn't going to give materially a better experience. I would aim for a 1.5k pc at a max (prob 1k) and then upgrade in a year or two with a new graphics card that will give a far bigger leap. If you only game 4-5 hours surely there are other hobbies to invest in?

Associate
OP
I would genuinely reconsider this build. Yes it is great, but it is a lot of money for something that isn't going to give materially a better experience. I would aim for a 1.5k pc at a max (prob 1k) and then upgrade in a year or two with a new graphics card that will give a far bigger leap. If you only game 4-5 hours surely there are other hobbies to invest in?
Already bought all the parts now.

I don't really have any other hobbies. I used to play in competitive TCG and collect rare cards but no longer play and all TCGs have been shut because of Covid.

I guess the stock market is a hobby which I have been doing since March and some of my profits from that has funded this PC purchase. I'll still be stock trading.

Associate
Did you get the Arctic AIO cooler?

If so remember the rad is 38mm thick, not including the fans, so if were intending to top mount it you must make sure you have clearance in the top of your chosen case.

Associate
I certainly did!

Yeah hopefully there is enough clearance. I guess i'll find out the hard way :eek: Will be a pain to return

Done a bit of digging and the P500A has 65mm clearance so that is fine (same as my P600S build), although you still have to think when installing as the CPU power cable is tight.

Not sure about the Fractal.

Associate
OP
Done a bit of digging and the P500A has 65mm clearance so that is fine (same as my P600S build), although you still have to think when installing as the CPU power cable is tight.

Not sure about the Fractal.
Thanks for the research!

Yeah completely torn between the two cases at the moment 50/50.

I have about 10 days or so to decide anyway really but nice to know the P500A is safe if I do get it.

Back
Top Bottom