High-End PC £4,000 budget: Buying final parts this month!

Associate
OP
I am currently at the stage where I know roughly what I want to buy, but haven't yet because all I'm seeing and reading is prices going up and stock getting more and more scarce ha ha
I was going to say buy all the parts you can get then just check daily for the final parts (GPU / Memory I assume?)

The problem with that though I guess is by the time you get your hands on the final parts, possibly there might be newer or cheaper stuff for the other parts you already bought :/

Associate
I was going to say buy all the parts you can get then just check daily for the final parts (GPU / Memory I assume?)

The problem with that though I guess is by the time you get your hands on the final parts, possibly there might be newer or cheaper stuff for the other parts you already bought :/
precisely my worry !

I don't mind waiting a bit longer until things have calmed down in the world

My PC has a Core 2 X6800 in it, was high end when I built the thing almost 15 years ago !

I thought it was an E8600 but I got the numbers backwards... 4GB of DDR2 and an old Tagan PSU still going strong... I've added an SSD and upgraded the graphics card a few times... It originally had a 7950 GX2, but I currently have an HD6850 and even that is ancient !

Looking at a 5800X and a 3070 or 3080 probably, and have been trawling the project log threads for ideas ! :)

Associate
OP
precisely my worry !

I don't mind waiting a bit longer until things have calmed down in the world

My PC has a Core 2 X6800 in it, was high end when I built the thing almost 15 years ago !

I thought it was an E8600 but I got the numbers backwards... 4GB of DDR2 and an old Tagan PSU still going strong... I've added an SSD and upgraded the graphics card a few times... It originally had a 7950 GX2, but I currently have an HD6850 and even that is ancient !

Looking at a 5800X and a 3070 or 3080 probably, and have been trawling the project log threads for ideas ! :)

Oh wow, you've actually done well then and got your money's worth from it. I only started building PC's in 2018 and I always say not change but i've upgraded every year though lol. Going to try and stick it out for at least 3 years with this one.

Nice, well I actually have a Founders Edition 3070 spare now since I upgraded to a 3090. Bought from a OC competitor that rhymes with 'Pan' in November lol. Was going to put it on Ebay tomorrow.

Associate
Ha ha yes I did go through a few years of not playing any PC games at all though hence not upgrading it ever I suppose, getting back into it now and clearly it isnt going to play much very well , i have been playing left 4 dead 2 and things with people though nice to be back at it !

you'll probably get all your money back and more for the 3070 on ebay ha ha

Associate
OP
Ha ha yes I did go through a few years of not playing any PC games at all though hence not upgrading it ever I suppose, getting back into it now and clearly it isnt going to play much very well , i have been playing left 4 dead 2 and things with people though nice to be back at it !

you'll probably get all your money back and more for the 3070 on ebay ha ha
Well if you can drive to Manchester within a week and do cash, would be happy to help out a fellow user for the RRP since I can see you like to make the most of your stuff.

If not though, no worries. :)

Associate
careful ive been told we aren't allowed to offer up trades and things outside the members market section sadly ! :(

manchester is also a very long way from me ha ha

thanks a lot for the offer though ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom