Higher Spec PC for Design & Gaming - Moving from Apple

Associate
Hello everyone!

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying that I am a complete amateur when it comes to PCs and the last one I had was around 20 years ago, so every bit of detail and information provided to me will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

So here's the gig, I'm a Head of Design in the design industry having worked with Apple Products for around 10-11 years using programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch, Blender, AutoCad etc (You get the idea), so all the tech I own is based around Apple due to the convenience and capabilities of Apple products when it comes purely to design. Somewhere along the way I became a bit of a gamer and enjoy playing a few games in my spare time but due to Apple products such as the iMac & MacBooks not being gamer friendly, I had to turn to the playstation along the years.

I used to own a 2015 iMac 27inch, which I used for design but also to play more indie like games along with a few mmorpg's like RuneScape, World Of Warcraft & a few others that my iMac could handle however, I ended up selling it as its life span was coming to an end. Since then, I invested in a MacBook purely for my design work and also have a 2nd MacBook through my work so I always have access to the best on the market MacBooks from my job.

So now I want to invest in a desktop. I had a look at Apple's 24 inch iMac's and personally I think they're terrible considering my 2015 iMac I could upgrade if I needed to myself (I upgraded the Ram to 32GB). I don't like that they limit the iMacs to 16GB and I believe even 1TB of storage unless you pay a hefty fee for the 2TB storage. The 16GB limits a lot of multiple program usage during design processes (Don't really know why they done this) and in a few years will slow down the iMac heavily. Basically the top spec 24 inch iMac comes to around £2,500-£2,600 which is ridiculous considering its specs.

So here comes where I change to a PC. I sat there and decided to finally after 20 years to invest into a PC for multiple reasons.
1. Better value for money and a lot less restrictions.
2. I have 2 Macbooks for design work, so a PC would open up new access to things outside just design. For example better gaming experiences and access.
3. I could also use it for design.
4. Multiple monitor combinations.

So here comes where I need the advice. I need help finding a good PC or building a custom PC within the £2,500 budget that I would spend on an iMac. Now taking into consideration that 2 decent+ monitors would probably cost around £700 combined, I would say the budget for the custom built PC is around £1,500 - £1,800. I would want the PC to be good for gaming but also design, so have 32GB Ram, 1-2TB Storage, good GPU & CPU. Now I would like to stress that I don't think I will be playing the TOP END games on the PC, so your Fortnite's, CODs, Star Wars, Hogwarts Legacy's etc as I have my PS5 for this. The type of game's I'd play on my PC would be Runescape, World Of Warcraft, Football Manager, MineCraft etc which have a lot less load on the PC. Design wise, I'd mostly use the Adobe Creative Suite & Figma on this PC, so this gives a rough idea of how I'd use it.

This is probably the most information I can give on what I am looking for roughly, baring in mind I haven't had a PC in so long. I would also probably use 2 monitors with this PC, one designated to gaming and the other to design as the specs will probably differ. If anyone has suggestions on screens that are good for both, it would also be great! Any help would be greatly appreciated and any links to already built PC's that you think would work would be useful. If it's a custom built PC, the names of the parts would also help!

If you have anymore questions, I will gladly answer them. Thank you!

(Sorry, I know that is a pain to read)

Man of Honour
Intel/DDR5 option for top-end of budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,723.92 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

With this cooler.

Graphics card choice is based on nvidia being preferable for your design work (is it?) and this video roundup. If you're content with AMD then there are arguably better value options.

CPU: 13th gen CPUs perform quite well for mixed workloads (puget article), especially gaming and Adobe, but AMD's X3D CPUs seem to be well-liked by WoW and this might apply to other MMOs too.

Associate
OP
Intel/DDR5 option for top-end of budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,723.92 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

With this cooler.

Graphics card choice is based on nvidia being preferable for your design work (is it?) and this video roundup. If you're content with AMD then there are arguably better value options.

CPU: 13th gen CPUs perform quite well for mixed workloads (puget article), especially gaming and Adobe, but AMD's X3D CPUs seem to be well-liked by WoW and this might apply to other MMOs too.
Thank you for this, will have a browse and try wrap my head around this.

I do know for sure that Nvidia is definitely the better option for design over AMD, especially within 3D design and video editing.
When it comes to CPUs I have no idea. I know that my old iMac had a I5 and back then it worked well.

Would you have any recommendations for monitors? Also if I was to pick your brain, what would you reduce if I were to lower the budget to say 1,400-1,500 and what difference would the reduced components make?

Thank you.

Man of Honour
Also if I was to pick your brain, what would you reduce if I were to lower the budget to say 1,400-1,500 and what difference would the reduced components make?

Something like this:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,503.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

With the same cooler suggested above (under £50).

Should have little impact on performance if you don't exceed the available memory, but the VRM and graphics card will run a little hotter.

Given your usage, I don't think I'd recommend a lesser CPU or graphics card, but if you really wanted to get the budget down, then this is what I would recommend for mixed usage:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,061.87 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

The 13600K/KF still performs pretty well, in a similar position to the 13700F in single-core heavy apps like the Adobe suite, but you do lose 2 P-Cores and that'll be noticeable in something like Blender. I'd expect most MMOs won't care either way.
The graphics card is a big downgrade on a 4070, but it still has 12GB of VRAM for photo/video purposes.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Something like this:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,503.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Should have little impact on performance if you don't exceed the available memory, but the VRM and graphics card will run a little hotter.

Given your usage, I don't think I'd recommend a lesser CPU or graphics card, but if you really wanted to get the budget down, then this is what I would recommend for mixed usage:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,061.87 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

The 13600K/KF still performs pretty well, in a similar position to the 13700F in single-core heavy apps like the Adobe suite, but you do lose 2 P-Cores and that'll be noticeable in something like Blender. I'd expect most MMOs won't care either way.
The graphics card is a big downgrade on a 4070, but it still has 12GB of VRAM for photo/video purposes.
Thank you so so much. So I was actually looking at the RTX 3060ti earlier today, is there much difference in that and the normal 3060 on the £1000? Also, I can upgrade to 64GB if I'd like? Since I would probably need more RAM.

Man of Honour
Thank you so so much. So I was actually looking at the RTX 3060ti earlier today, is there much difference in that and the normal 3060 on the £1000?

It does depend on the game, but the 3060 Ti is a big chunk faster, yes (chart link here), enough that it can potentially make a higher resolution playable, but the downgrade of VRAM might be an issue for your art apps and texture packs.

Personally, if I wanted to play at 1440p or 4K for the longer-term and it had to be nvidia, then I'd be getting a 4070.

The 3060 Ti can handle 1440p fine in older games, but I don't think 8GB of VRAM is going to help with maintaining playability or visual quality as games progress.

The 3060 is really a 1080p or light 1440p card, but it is currently the cheapest way to access 12GB of VRAM on a new nvidia card, unless you can find a RTX 2060.

Alternatively, you could wait for the 4060 Ti 16GB, but I'm not sure how it will fit in price-wise, since it might end up rather close to the 4070.

FYI: if you do anything that uses NVENC, the 4070 Ti and up have 2 per chip, everything under that only has 1 (link to table).

I can upgrade to 64GB if I'd like? Since I would probably need more RAM.

Sure, modern DDR4 boards support up to 128GB, but with 64-128 you're unlikely to hit top speed with the memory overclock (DDR5 is currently max: 192GB).

Edit:

Forgot to answer your question about monitors. I can't recommend one I'm afraid, but would suggest taking a look at hardware unboxed, here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom