Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Caporegime
It's a wind resistant softshell, not a proper thermal layer. It's probably good at it's job - keeping the wind from getting through and resisting most rain on it - but on it's own it's not going to keep you warm. Sounds like you need a warmer mid layer if you're cold.

Heading to Bude this morning.. Walking Bude to Padstow over the next few days :) bliss!

Always wanted to get that section done, but never did. Are you doing the SWCP in chunks or is this a one off? I did Padstow to Penzance in chunks when I was at uni.

Underboss
Thanks Amp
Actually looking at the HH website, the base layer i have is the Lifa Dry, so the only thing keeping the warm in was the fleece ! lol

just took a delivery on a HH Warm Base Layer for the Winter months! :D

Can you recommend me a warmer mid-layer ?

Soldato
this is something i need to start doing more ,tend to just stroll and guzzle tea ,take pics ect Halloween in tintagel area was amazing ,i try and do the stair climb above the port william inn .trebarwith once a week for a leg work out !

We just went past Tintagel, very pretty!

I guess one of the bad things with doing it as a challenge is you really don't get much time to stop and look at anything.. In a 13 mile trek you've got to keep moving!

I do really enjoy being somewhere different every night though, this time it was Bude, Boscastle, Port Isaac and Padstow.. different B7B/hotel every night obviously.. I love it :)

Caporegime
Guys,

Looking for a pair of hiking shoes, now normally I'd pop into a shop and try a lot on but I live in Cyprus and the only shop I can find with a selection is Sports Direct and they are either very cheap or very overpriced (merrell and salmon, compared to online prices). I don't have a budget in mind really. Only really buying them for my NZ holiday, but I'll use them again after so I don't mind spending some money on them. Any 'go to' shoe?

Underboss
i went into cotsworld outdoors just recently and i got fitted, ended up buying some Scarpa Oxygen GTX shoes for the terrain i am using them for, and they fit like a glove

oh and they are 3 sizes up from my last ones !

all im saying is, make sure you get the right size, ive been a 9 for 30 years now im an 11

Caporegime
i went into cotsworld outdoors just recently and i got fitted, ended up buying some Scarpa Oxygen GTX shoes for the terrain i am using them for, and they fit like a glove

oh and they are 3 sizes up from my last ones !

all im saying is, make sure you get the right size, ive been a 9 for 30 years now im an 11

Yeah sadly it's pretty hard, though if I order now I might have enough time to send them back (mail is like 2-3 weeks here). All local shoes seem 3-4 years out of date, and priced like it too. Which I begrudge. Tempted with the salomon ultra 3 gtx...

Associate
Yeah sadly it's pretty hard, though if I order now I might have enough time to send them back (mail is like 2-3 weeks here). All local shoes seem 3-4 years out of date, and priced like it too. Which I begrudge. Tempted with the salomon ultra 3 gtx...

The Salamon's I found were an odd fit. If you have a high instep, wide forefoot and narrow mid and heel then they'll be good but I found them the most uncomfortable shoe I've tried on. Obviously we all have different feet but I was surprised just how odd a fit they were after reading so many people raving about them. I had been using Meindl Vakuum's this year however they are a bit on the heavy and over engineered side of things. I've now swapped to Lowa Renegade III Lo and a pair of Hoka Mafate 4 trail runners. The Lowa's are very comfy and have a sole which is just right. They're good enough for me that I'd buy another pair when these ones eventually die.

As Shiwarrior says though....getting the right size is everything. It's also hard to know how they'll really be until you've put a done a lot of miles in them. Despite being "professionally" fitted for my Meindl's I would have gone another size up given the opportunity now. For the most part they are ok but some descents make me wish for a larger size. Some makes are also wildly different in their sizings as well.

Soldato
I've got Scarpa, the missus has salomon.. both fitted at Cotswold, both very happy.. I think hers were about 2 or 3 sizes different to her usual too.

Associate
Guys,

Looking for a pair of hiking shoes, now normally I'd pop into a shop and try a lot on but I live in Cyprus and the only shop I can find with a selection is Sports Direct and they are either very cheap or very overpriced (merrell and salmon, compared to online prices). I don't have a budget in mind really. Only really buying them for my NZ holiday, but I'll use them again after so I don't mind spending some money on them. Any 'go to' shoe?

A few of us have Salomon's and they're really good for each of us. I'd recommend finding somewhere that gives you two year warranty as both pairs of mine have been replaced under warranty.

hux

hux

Soldato
Heading to Bude this morning.. Walking Bude to Padstow over the next few days :) bliss!

Nice, fair few miles bit chilly and windy so wrap up warm.
Next time go padstow down to newquay, you'll see trevose head, constantine and bedruthnan steps all stunning, especially great in the summer if you're a tog there's wildlife aplenty.

I live in Bodmin so all on my doorstep.

hux

hux

Soldato
Guys,

Lowa renegade are very good, tried a pair and found them to be quality.
But truth be told you really have to try, I fell in love with Scarpa r-evolution gtx, they fit me like a glove but they're not for everyone.

I'd recommend some decent trekking poles as well.

Soldato
Nice, fair few miles bit chilly and windy so wrap up warm.
Next time go padstow down to newquay, you'll see trevose head, constantine and bedruthnan steps all stunning, especially great in the summer if you're a tog there's wildlife aplenty.

I live in Bodmin so all on my doorstep.

That was 2 months ago lol :)

Soldato
Lowa renegade are very good, tried a pair and found them to be quality.
But truth be told you really have to try, I fell in love with Scarpa r-evolution gtx, they fit me like a glove but they're not for everyone.

I'd recommend some decent trekking poles as well.

I like my renegade as a summer boot, they are very good.

Soldato
Anyone got any advice for winter sleeping bags? @Glaucus ?

I've currently got 2 sleeping bags, a Blacks 2 season which has an "optimal range" of 4-15 degrees and an Aldi Ultralight one (impulse purchase :p) which has a temperature guage that doesn't make sense but seems to mean comfort is 13 degrees and transition 9 degrees. I slept in the Aldi one in April when it was about 8 degrees at night and with my thermals one I was fine, albeit slightly nippy. Actually very impressed with it considering it packs very small! Don't have any sensible information for when I've slept in the Blacks one but it's only going to be a few degrees warmer I reckon, still not enough for current temps.

I'm determined to do at least a wild camp per month in 2018. Jan-March I'll probably take use my tent but for the rest of the year I plan to bivvy.

Is there a reasonably priced winter sleeping bag I can get that will keep me warm enough in say 0 degrees? I appreciate it is one of the old "cheap, warm, small - pick two" things but having it suitable for bikepacking would be ideal...

What about liners? Could I get a liner that makes my 2 season bag good enough to use over winter? This claims to add 8 degrees to a bag https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/sea-to-summit-reactor-thermolite-liner-D2524098.html?colour=130&source=webgains_uk&siteid=54264&s2m_channel=812&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Skimbit LTD

Man of Honour
If you are planning on serious outdoors stuff in <10C especially around zero I wouldn't skimp - exposure (albeit more relevant in a high stress real emergency situation) will very quickly finish you off :s

Soldato
If you are planning on serious outdoors stuff in <10C especially around zero I wouldn't skimp - exposure (albeit more relevant in a high stress real emergency situation) will very quickly finish you off :s
I know, I'm not about to camp at the top of Snowdon without having gear I know will do the job!

But I also can't spend £200 on a bag right now..

Soldato
But I also can't spend £200 on a bag right now..

It's worth checking out the for sale section on UKClimbing. I got my ME Snowline, brand new with tags for about half price as someone had bought it for a trip and cancelled and wanted rid of the bag. I also picked up a brand new ME Classic 1000 for a good price on there for the missus.

Make sure you get a decent mat too, it's surprising the difference a good insulated mat makes in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom