Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

hux

hux

Soldato
Any suggestions on good walking poles.

Yes I'm getting older :p plus I'm bit of an occasional klutz, if there's a rut or a hole I'll be first to find it.

So Leki or Black Diamond, that's what I'm torn between.

Also what's the difference with nordic walking over regular trekking, never knew you could get different poles for this.

Edit - Just seen Pacerpoles, they look lovely.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a pair of Black Diamond Trail Pros (aluminum ones without any damping) - not super light (although I wouldn't say they were heavy), but they seem to be pretty tough, and the locking mechanism works well. I doubt you'd go too wrong with either Leki or Black Diamond tbh.

Soldato
I bought a pair of BD Alpine FLZ poles a few years ago after screwing one of the tendons in my knee. They are a decent weight and strength and they fold up really small to fit inside my pack so as to not get in the way while climbing. An absolute godsend on the knees for the descents!

hux

hux

Soldato
Thanks, went with Black Diamond Ergo Cork, seem to be the most consistent without going into the daft territory.

Love the various tips you can buy, and they look really solid.

Can't wait to try them out, seeing as they're my first.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone use a fitness tracker type watch for tracking there hiking.
I have been using my phone and Endomondo but the battery isnt what it used to be and its running out too fast now.

Something that has good gps tracking that i can then download onto pc as a gpx. I dont really want a gps mapping thing, i use viewranger on my phone for maps and an actual map for backup.

Tomtom Spark 3 springs to mind or the adventurer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Garmin fenix 3, been rock solid for me over the last few years, routes can be downloaded from watch to PC and either used on garmins own software or exported/synced into various other apps/exercise tracking software.
Battery power is decent, will last me a couple of weeks when not being used for tracking, and you can get a full day of trekking in its most accurate mode, or much longer in ultratrac(less frequent way point recording)

Soldato
Garmin fenix 3, been rock solid for me over the last few years, routes can be downloaded from watch to PC and either used on garmins own software or exported/synced into various other apps/exercise tracking software.
Battery power is decent, will last me a couple of weeks when not being used for tracking, and you can get a full day of trekking in its most accurate mode, or much longer in ultratrac(less frequent way point recording)

Another Fenix 3 user here. I've worn it every day for the last few years and it's been great!

Man of Honour
i want the 5x but cry at the price.
3 doesnt actually have map hiking navgation software on it? although iirc you could sideload something on it.

Soldato
You can nav off the watch, there are no maps as such, just the route in the form of a line, you load the route and it gives you a pointer to follow, however you don't have to stare at the watch it will vibrate when you deviate from the path.

Soldato
I did look at the fenix range but seem to do just what the tomtom does but twice the price. The 5x looks good but the price not so much.

Actually looks like the Fenix 3 is available for around £300. Looks like its between the Tomtom Adventurer and Garmin Fenix 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the 5x is a nice idea but im not sure i would need the maps. The odd time i need to look at the detailed map i have my phone or paper one to check, a marker and arrow is all i need 99.9% of the time.

Soldato
So i ordered the Fenix 5. For those with similar watches how easy is it to follow the gpx routes?
For GPX routes, if its the same or similar menus etc as the fenix 3. Once you have loaded the route to the fenix you will find them under navigation/courses select the course and from there you will see a plot of the course, there should also be a pointer to follow, which can be followed like a compass, the watch will vibrate to alert you when you deviate too far from the course.
Its all very simple but effective, dont get me wrong I still do all my research on a route before hand and will still have multiple means of navigation with me, but with the watch i rarely have to use any of the others, mostly just viewranger on the phone to check the 1:25000 check contour lines.

Soldato
Gave it its trip out on Sunday round familiar territory, stuck a route in just to get used to following it. Its pretty easy, like that it doesn't go mental should you stray to far of course. Seemed to track accurately enough as well. Took longer than i expected to lock onto gps at first though.

Plan to do Blencathra this weekend, have to dig the crampons and axe out. Even up Winter hill i was in Snow up to my thighs.

Soldato
So on Saturday I had a bit of an adventure. My first winter "wild camp", first stay in a bothy (Dulyn) and first outing with my new Alpkit Mountain Ghost 300 sleeping bag.

We were aiming to meet at the car park at 3pm for the 4 mile journey to the bothy. My two mates were on bikes, I was walking as my bike is being repaired and I wanted to be able to be over-equipped for a new experience so took my 70l pack, mostly filled with beer and wood :D.

I was driving back from Chester in the morning and could see the snow on the hills down to about 250-300m, thought we may even struggle to get to the car park which is at about 400m. Forecast was for more snow overnight too so I left my car at the bottom of the road just in case the cars got snowed in up top, then we'd only have a couple more miles descent down to mine.

We ended up meeting late, got up to the car park (through the slush) for half 3 and by the time they had faffed with their bikes we started at 4pm. Couple of inches of snow at the car park and for anyone unfamiliar with the route to Dulyn its quite a sharp initial ascent up to about 500m then gradually up to 650m before a steep descent down to the bothy. There was a good 4-6 inches of snow on the main track so pretty slow progress with the other two regretting bringing bikes to push :p

Stayed light for a while with all the snow but soon it went dark and thick fog rolled in. We were well equipped with lights and I've done the walk several times, plus it's an obvious gravel track so not exactly difficult. About half an hour before arriving the fog cleared revealing a million stars and the breeze dropped off completely. Arrived at the bothy about half 6, got a fire going and at about 7pm there was a knock at the door and two blokes arrived who had walked all day over from the coast, one of them navigating by map and compass in the dark (big props for this - what a legend).

A cracking night of food, beer and banter by the fire was had by all. We'd kept the door shut between the "living room" and sleeping area to save losing loads of heat so it was seriously nippy in there - weather was forecast as -3 but I forgot my thermometer to check inside :rolleyes: - but I was the warmest I've ever been in a sleeping bag it was great.

Well and truly caught the bug for being out in winter and bothying. Another bothy planned for the weekend after next then hopefully get the tent out somewhere.

JscK5Ko.jpg

Cwx1Uuh.jpg
BNYVZ0Y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom