Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Man of Honour
I hadposted this in the items purchased thread. But @Glaucus suggested posting it here too as it may be useful. For anyone looking for a backpack, Osprey have an outlet for clearance and repaired items. It's not immediately obvious. But if you sign up to their website then a link appears on the left hand side of your account page called Second Life.

They sell various grades of bag. Some are returned and repaired items. Others are pre-manufacturing samples and some are simply new clearance items. The price depends on the grade of the bag. As an example I bought an Osprey Talon 33 which was described as "good condition" (which is actually their poorest grade I think) with a sewing repair. It only cost £30 for a bag which was on sale at £75 to £100 new at various places. The bag does have a few small stains but was almost like new. This did seem a particularly good bargain and most others were not quite as cheap. But considering Osprey bags are generally fairly expensive there are some bargains to be had.

The warranty is reduced from their lifetime warranty to 'only' 12 months and there is a £10 delivery charge,

You can only see this link if you register for an account and go into your account.

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Soldato
^ I had been keeping an eye out on there, even more so as they had a sale on recently too. In the end I managed to bag a Talon 22 off ebay for under £30. In good nick too. :D

Although last night it was out with the 70 again to get my February wild camp in. First proper test for the sleeping bag (Alpkit Mountain Ghost 300) and new smaller packing mat (Alpkit Numo). Car showed 5 degrees when I parked up at 5pm last night and 3 degrees when I got back to the car at 8am ish this morning. And I was camping about 150m higher up.

I was really warm. So much so that when I woke up at 4am I was sweating!

Shame it clouded over last night so didn't get the view of the stars I was hoping for but other than that I can't complain. Phone is totally incapable of taking pictures in low light, think it's time to upgrade, but you get the gist...

BjSxmVB.jpg
70u6mTd.jpg

Soldato
Lake Crafnant near
nice picture - are there any camera phones that might work for night ? (after seeing the comment in the everest base camp thread night capability seems a must have)

and new smaller packing mat (Alpkit Numo)
presumably the tent was the big item ? have only done a tent in cold weather myself, but a bivvy bag must be the 'raw', maybe foolish, experience.
waking up sweating is bad - drying out a damp bag over multiple days ; usually use a coton liner in the sleeping bag, w/ just underwear
plus breakfast, usually porridge on a trangia with added raisins/dried-fruit.

Man of Honour
nice picture - are there any camera phones that might work for night ? (after seeing the comment in the everest base camp thread night capability seems a must have)
i would rather have a dedicated small camera, than use phone. Combine with a peak design mount or similar to attach to bag strap.
https://www.peakdesign.com/capture

however, I've been using a dslr for a few years and its to big and bulky.
I've been interested in the Nikon 1 AW1 a smaller rugged camera with good capability.

the other one I've been interested in is tinymos especially for its night sky credentials.
http://tinymos.com not waterproof, so I'm hoping someone releases a waterproof case. That along with teh sheer bulk and weight of a dslr was its biggest down point.

I'm very much leaning towards tinymos but no idea when i'll be abe to afford one.

Soldato

presumably the tent was the big item ? have only done a tent in cold weather myself, but a bivvy bag must be the 'raw', maybe foolish, experience.
waking up sweating is bad - drying out a damp bag over multiple days ; usually use a coton liner in the sleeping bag, w/ just underwear
plus breakfast, usually porridge on a trangia with added raisins/dried-fruit.

I think lots of the newer camera phones are fairly well rated for night/low lights. I'm not talking pro style shots of the Milky Way but somewhere in the middle would be nice. Even my old phone (HTC One M8) was acceptable but it got to the point where the battery life was about 10 minutes and you need to be a rocket scientist to take it apart it seems... New cheapo Moto isn't as good. A dedicated camera would be the alternative a suppose.

Yeah my tent packs pretty big and heavy and considering I want to get into bike packing, moving to bivi is a must. Ordering one as soon as the tarp comes back in stock.

I had thermal top and bottoms on and a fleece, I thought I would play it safe as it was probably better to wake up hot than cold then having to faff around putting layers on and trying to warm up. A learning process..

Soldato
Mini Crampons

Does anyone have any experience with these at all? I'm heading up to the Lake District next week with a load of friends. Whilst all of the others are generally very fit and healthy, none have done any real form of (even quite light) hiking.

Having had a look at most recent photos from this weekend there's still quite a bit of snow present on many of the peaks we're aiming to walk. Also, it looks like the weather next week is set to be very cold indeed, with minus temperatures on a few of the days.

I find it very unlikely that any of the group will want to fork out for full-size crampons, and instead opt for us to walk on clearer routes rather than kitting up for snow/ice. That said, I though it might be worthwhile buying mini-crampons, such as these or these, in case we do encounter any ice on the lesser walks, or do choose to go higher.

Would be great to hear opinions.

Caporegime
I've got some micro spikes very similar to those, although they're handy for ice filled paths/steps etc they aren't adequate for full winter conditions where paths can be completely hidden by angled snowfall. (IE the path becomes the mountain slope).

Which walks are you thinking of doing? I've done Bowfell and Scafell pike in micro spikes and they were fine, however Snowdon recently up Llanberis path would've needed crampons. (Yes I realise Snowdon isn't in the Lake District, just an example :p )

In short, it's going to be route specific whether micro spikes are adequate.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I find it very unlikely that any of the group will want to fork out for full-size crampons, and instead opt for us to walk on clearer routes rather than kitting up for snow/ice. That said, I though it might be worthwhile buying mini-crampons, such as these or these, in case we do encounter any ice on the lesser walks, or do choose to go higher.

Would be great to hear opinions.

I bought two pairs of very similar styles crampons from Amazon for about £15 a pair which we used for Cadair Idris and Snowdon last weekend. Snowdon was a challenge, many others had full sized crampons on but we managed Pyg Track in challenging conditions without too much drama but I wouldn't go back without full ones.

You can get an idea of the conditions in my latest two Instagram posts here: https://www.instagram.com/dupanoodle/

The crampons although at the very cheap end of the spectrum fit very well and did the job. We walked on hard ground as well as ice, compact snow and very deep loose snow without any major issues. For the Lakes on a considered track you'll likely be OK without but the odd section might prove tricky depending on which peak you're heading up, anything with large snow drifts I would avoid without full sized.

Soldato
I've got some micro spikes very similar to those, although they're handy for ice filled paths/steps etc they aren't adequate for full winter conditions where paths can be completely hidden by angled snowfall. (IE the path becomes the mountain slope).

Which walks are you thinking of doing? I've done Bowfell and Scafell pike in micro spikes and they were fine, however Snowdon recently up Llanberis path would've needed crampons. (Yes I realise Snowdon isn't in the Lake District, just an example :p )

In short, it's going to be route specific whether micro spikes are adequate.

Thanks - we're staying in Langdale, so will be doing Pike O'Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell one day, Scafell Pike (from Langdale) the next day, and then Harrison Stickle, Pike O'Stickle the next. I've walked them a number of times, so largely familiar with the better routes, and can't imagine we're likely to face deep snow at any point, but might hit a bit of ice towards a couple of the peaks. Was keen to hear how they did on icy steps.

Soldato
None have done any form of hiking yet you are planning to go in winter conditions? I'm a keen hiker but I wouldn't dream of strapping on some crampons and going up Snowdon at the moment!

Soldato
None have done any form of hiking yet you are planning to go in winter conditions? I'm a keen hiker but I wouldn't dream of strapping on some crampons and going up Snowdon at the moment!

Good thing we're not planning on going up Snowdon... The last two years I've gone up to the Lakes at this time of year and, despite one rainy/miserable day, we've had unrelenting sunshine each year with the snow having almost completely thawed. We booked this trip 4 months ago. They're all physically fit guys (Marathons, Iron Mans, etc.) so I can't imagine they're going to have much in the way of difficulty walking up the steps leading to Bowfell or Stickle Tarn. In fact, despite me hiking regularly, I'm the less fit of the group, by some margin. The only real question is whether the micro spikes might help on any icy patches - anything too tricky we'll simply avoid.

Soldato
Lots of reports of widespread thaw up lakes this week, but with the coming cold spell i'd expect a fair bit of frozen/icey ground with lingering patches of snow, with care and common sense i would have thought those mini spike things would get the group up there fine, I've tryed slightly less agressive versions before on hard snow/ice at low level and provide a fair bit of grip, but never used them up in the proper mountains.
However that said, I personally wouldnt feel safe going up in the mountains at this time of year without proper Crampons/axe/equipment in my bag...

I would keep a very close eye on MWIS and "Ground Conditions In UK Mountain Areas" facebook page as current weather forcasts vary a lot into next week, but all pointing towards another freeze.

Soldato
I wouldn't head up high without full winter kit at the moment, it's not worth the risk. It's easy to take a slide and end up a few hundred metres down a gully etc. A few weeks ago a guy on one of the FB mountaineering groups took a slide head first while trying to help someone without the right kit. Luckily he only broke a few ribs. The fell top assessors report for tomorrow is that crampons and axe are essential above the snowline. With temps due to drop again for the weekend, there could be a lot of hard ice about. Take the proper kit and know how to use it!

As I've only managed to get a few routes done in Snowdonia this winter, I'm having a trip up to Scotland this weekend. We're going to drive up Friday night for an alpine start and a crack at Tower Ridge on the Ben on Saturday. It looks like it'll be in good condition for the weekend as there has been a bit of freeze thaw and the next couple days should see some consolidation and ice forming.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm looking for some advice on a trip to Striding Edge, Helvellyn. We will be going in the summer. Are there months to avoid (too busy, etc)? Where would be a good place to look for accomodation nearby (we will need to stay the night before and night after)? We'll be travelling up from London but I assume a car will be needed to get to a suitable start point? Any other general advice?

I'm a complete new starter (but fit) although the people I will be going with hike fairly regularly.

Thanks.

Soldato
There are loads of places to stay around Glenridding and Patterdale. The YHA in Patterdale and Side Farm up the road for camping are decent. There is the Patterdale Hotel and a few other places depending on the level of comfort you want! I'd be tempted to stay a bit further away around Ambleside as there is a bit more to do at night. The camp site at Rydal Hall is good but there are loads of BnBs in Ambleside which is only a 10min drive away from Glenridding.

With regards to busy times, it can be totally hit and miss. I took the dog for a walk up Striding Edge last summer on a Saturday in the school hols and there was barely anyone else there, I've done it on random week days and it's been busy. Generally though, it's busier in school holidays and quieter on days of sub optimal weather! :)

Soldato

With you there.. I'm just.starting to plan the next bit of the south west coast path after a 4 month weather based hiatus :)

Soldato
Howdy guys and gals. Any hammock campers out there? I'm thinking of giving it a go, but would love to hear the thoughts of anyone who has experience.

Also, any recommendations for good sunglasses suited to hiking in sunnier climes? Preferably some brand that won't make me look any more of a dork and/or douche.

Back
Top Bottom