Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Associate
I've been planning on doing the training for years but never get around to it. I really should just get on and do it. I don't plan on doing any commercial work with it as the market is saturated, just more for the experience of doing it.

Same, I don't want to use it commercially but, in a voluntary capacity. Also, to improve my own skills.

Soldato
For me, I'm out climbing and hiking most weekends so it would be a good challenge to do to consolidate my skills. My nav could probably be better and that would be a good incentive to improve that as well! I really need to get my DLOG updated for it though.

I am off to Zermatt tomorrow. 6 days of hiking and photography bliss. My first proper hiking trip. I am beyond excited :)

Will share pics when I am back.

Awesome! You'll get some stunning shots around there. This time next week I'll be in Chamonix. I just hope the weather isn't as hot this year as all the routes were collapsing last year and we had a few sketchy moments.

Capodecina
Soldato
Why I'm asking are people here MLs? (A: See if anyone had tips and experience to share) or why ML? (A: learn more and validate my experience. Also, to use voluntary in the Scouts)
I can heartily applaud volunteering with the Scouts and likewise, approve anyone who improves their navigation skills - use of a map and compass.

My question really related to the "Mountain" aspect - does this qualification tend to apply more to mountaineers (i.e. rock climbers and people who use crampons, etc.) than to people who lead walkers up Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis.

Not having a Mountain Leader qualification I am genuinely curious - I was DEFINITELY not attempting to criticise you in any way, shape or form :)

Associate
I can heartily applaud volunteering with the Scouts and likewise, approve anyone who improves their navigation skills - use of a map and compass.

My question really related to the "Mountain" aspect - does this qualification tend to apply more to mountaineers (i.e. rock climbers and people who use crampons, etc.) than to people who lead walkers up Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis.

Not having a Mountain Leader qualification I am genuinely curious - I was DEFINITELY not attempting to criticise you in any way, shape or form :)

No worries, just checking I understood the question!

Mountain Leader is not a mountaineering qualification (if you take mountaineering as the combined skills of mountain walking and climbing such as what you may undertake in the Alps.). It is mostly concerned with the skills to operate in the UK's mountainous regions in summer conditions (no snow or ice forecast or on the ground). There is some rope work but, this is more for confidence of any client you take rather than required to make progress.

Soldato

The ML is pretty much a summer hill walking qualification with limited scrambling, the main focus of it is on nav and it doesn't cover intended use of a rope. The next steps up are MIA and MIC (I think they've changed the names now) which cover climbing and mountaineering in the summer and winter respectively.

Associate
The ML is pretty much a summer hill walking qualification with limited scrambling, the main focus of it is on nav and it doesn't cover intended use of a rope. The next steps up are MIA and MIC (I think they've changed the names now) which cover climbing and mountaineering in the summer and winter respectively.

They have to Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor (MCI) and Winter Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor (WMCI) respectively. Changes that make tons of sense to me.

Soldato
As it rained today, I thought I'd sort through some of my pics from the last couple weeks in Chamonix..

RsSQHhqh.jpg

NEcIej8h.jpg

YZrKS7Xh.jpg

uTLXew3h.jpg

U63Mflih.jpg

Annoyingly my trip coincided with the heat wave in France so most of the snow and mixed routes were out of condition and suffering with rock fall. We'd planned on doing the Kuffner but the guides office recommended against it so our backup plan was the Rochefort Ridge and Entreves Traverse over a couple days from the Torino hut. However bad rock fall on the approach to the Rochefort and a storm today meant I've had to be content with valley hiking. We've managed to tick off a few routes at least and the weather looks decent for the next couple days so can hopefully squeeze in something else before I head home!

Soldato
It was an awesome trip, just hard being back in work these last couple of days, I really should have taken the end of this week off too! It was a bit of a shame the conditions weren't ideal but we managed to get some stuff done regardless. We ended with a traverse of the Petits Charmoz thinking that as it was a bit lower we could avoid the worst conditions. The rockfall was still pretty bad down the glacier in the afternoon but luckily we were off it fairly quickly. There have been some pretty major rockfalls the last couple years and it looks like things are only going to get worse with climate change and the permafrost melting. If things keep going as they are, summer climbing is going to become too unsafe to bother with.

tgLZ01Eh.jpg

pOIcjDah.jpg

ZQ4gBfqh.jpg

Man of Honour
Wow, awesome! Lots of details when you get back, please!

I'll do a write up when I get time, but I'll just leave this here:
p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Soldato
Wore out another pair of boots. Hate shopping for boots so hard to get a good fit for me. They can all feel comfortable in the shop or even at home but I've had some cripple me after 10 miles on the hills.

Soldato
How do you wear out the uppers (leather ones anyway) ? and - you can get the mid/vibram sole replaced multiple times
..... but you have to learn to trust the re-sole for safety critical scrambling - I did some jogging prior to last re-sole that did not help life

Back
Top Bottom