Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Capodecina
Soldato
Glastonbury I might expect to wear them all day for 5 days.

Other than that, 2-3 hours at a time.

Nearest Cotswold Outdoor to me is 50 miles away :(
If you are mostly milling around (at Glastonbury) rather than struggling up hill and down dale, don't over-tighten the laces. Having said that, God alone knows what the weather (or mud) will be like ;)

Is there a Blacks or Millets nearer than your nearest Cotswold Outdoor?

Soldato
Anything in particular to look for when looking for hiking poles? Any recommendations please? :)
Light and collapsible are the main points really. Go for telescopic if you want adjust-ability, avoid twist lock, lever lock is much more reliable long term. Folding poles are usually more compact when collapsed and can be lighter but tend to sacrifice adjust-ability. Cant go wrong with Leki, black diamond or MSR in my experience.

Caporegime
Light and collapsible are the main points really. Go for telescopic if you want adjust-ability, avoid twist lock, lever lock is much more reliable long term. Folding poles are usually more compact when collapsed and can be lighter but tend to sacrifice adjust-ability.
Thanks for the advice. I will take a look later :) - what is fair money to pay for a reliable set? IYO?

Soldato
Soldato
Nearest Cotswold Outdoor to me is 50 miles away
I'd be considering internet purchase of several sizes, and sending back (for free) those you don't want .. narrowing down some choices from previous threads say,
but sound like you want something light-weight for Glastonbury use, as opposed to full leather

Anything in particular to look for when looking for hiking poles?
I got some combined ski/walk leki sport 2 sections (better strength/reliability) twist locks ones .. haven't had any reliability problems with the twist, and they fit on the back of a pack easily, sorbothane insoles in boots too can help with shock on decents.

Soldato
I'd be considering internet purchase of several sizes, and sending back (for free) those you don't want .. narrowing down some choices from previous threads say,
but sound like you want something light-weight for Glastonbury use, as opposed to full leather

I got some combined ski/walk leki sport 2 sections (better strength/reliability) twist locks ones .. haven't had any reliability problems with the twist, and they fit on the back of a pack easily, sorbothane insoles in boots too can help with shock on decents.

Just a quick watch out, I tried that with a load of walking trousers from snow and rock, same group as Cotswold and they charge for returns.

Man of Honour
A group of us went hiking along the north Devon coast this weekend. My pictures don't do it justice but it is so pretty.

tXR8yQs.jpg

xGNqLPr.jpg

SABrfTR.jpg

A very brave goat...

NBrvvw9.jpg

Soldato
nice pictures - the granite(thinlk?) reminded me of, Bosigran cliffs, west of newquay, where commando's had done their ww2 prep.

Just a quick watch out, I tried that with a load of walking trousers from snow and rock, same group as Cotswold and they charge for returns.
just checked they seem to take paypal, with which you can get some free returns ... I always use paypal where possible (the wiggle free service via asda is good too)

Soldato
nice pictures - the granite(thinlk?) reminded me of, Bosigran cliffs, west of newquay, where commando's had done their ww2 prep.

just checked they seem to take paypal, with which you can get some free returns ... I always use paypal where possible (the wiggle free service via asda is good too)

I think with mine it was paying for post and having to insure it (with like £300 of stuff in there) or collect+

I kinda get it, it probably shouldn't be free but when everywhere else it it sort of stings.

Associate
Used my karrimor survival bag today I've had my my backpack for about 5 years. An old woman fell on the floor and it was raining so I went to my car and got it out of my bag. Well worth having and even though I wasn't in the mountains it got its use by helping someone who needed it so recommend anyone to have one handy.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend decent breathable hiking pants for the Summer? My North Face ones finally gave up the ghost after many years of service and don't fancy convertible types.

Already have a pair of Fjallraven trousers but they are way too toasty now that the temperatures have crept up.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend decent breathable hiking pants for the Summer? My North Face ones finally gave up the ghost after many years of service and don't fancy convertible types.

Already have a pair of Fjallraven trousers but they are way too toasty now that the temperatures have crept up.

What's wrong with shorts? :p Although I'm a big fan of Prana Stretch Zion trousers for spring/autumn use.

Soldato
Anyone happen to be an ML on here?

Thinking I'm going to focus on it over the next 2 years.

I've been planning on doing the training for years but never get around to it. I really should just get on and do it. I don't plan on doing any commercial work with it as the market is saturated, just more for the experience of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom