Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Works for some, not everyone! I found that it's "ok" at best for me but just didn't have any effect for my mate. I personally prefer smidge, but find I do have to reapply quite often. Jungle formula stuff is the most effective I've tryed but that stuff contains DEET and is pretty unpleasant, I'll only use it when it's really bad.

Soldato
So.. some shots from our recent walk from Pendeen to Porthleven.. had planned to go to Lizard but cut it short.. day 1 was at the back end of storm Hannah and the wind was so strong I swear bracing against it gave us both a bit of a leg strain, my hamstring, her knee.. so hard to even stand up lol.

Still, got round lands end and now technically heading back towards home.

HelP8mi.jpg

cUAp2lx.jpg

Bus6vxi.jpg

z4MYeiw.jpg

K0obrpk.jpg

QvJ6rrk.jpg

HC818fl.jpg

fGoR22V.jpg

ASvhvqU.jpg

O5Fhyo2.jpg

7sIi6nL.jpg

Love it :)

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I am trying to find out the legality of travelling with hiking poles in carry-on luggage. Seems to be mixed info posted online and depending on both airport and airline?

Can anyone provide any clarification?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys,

I am trying to find out the legality of travelling with hiking poles in carry-on luggage. Seems to be mixed info posted online and depending on both airport and airline?

Can anyone provide any clarification?

Thanks
Has to be the same rule as monopods ie has to meet the carry on size and weight.
I've taken tripods many times, always take one that folds up enough that it fits in my bag.

Soldato
OK, I was wondering if they could be considered a weapon? That was my concern :)

Almost certainly, but then lots of things can be used as a weapon.
I think you have to have the rubber feet on as well, not the spikes. The only way to be 100% sure is to ask the airline.

Caporegime
Almost certainly, but then lots of things can be used as a weapon.
I think you have to have the rubber feet on as well, not the spikes. The only way to be 100% sure is to ask the airline.
OK I will reach out to them and ask :)

I think I will also try contacting Lisbon & Zurich airports to check with their security teams.

Thanks for your help :)

Soldato
Lots of deaths on Everest this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48407433

That picture of the line of climbers waiting to summit is just insane

The pictures look horrific.. It seems the weather hasn't been great this year so summit days have been limited and with record amounts of permits being granted it isn't a good combination! It shows what a good job the Sherpas do though, with the fixed lines holding with 100 or so people jumaring up.

Caporegime
Advice needed

Not really hiking, but I could do with some comfortable, water-proof walking boots for Glastonbury festival that are lightweight.

I've been to Glastonbury about 12 times, but I find that as I'm older and heavier now (15 stone), my feet ache like absolute ******** and my trusty Berghaus are on the way out. I'd use them regularly for walking the dog over the country park but they don't need to be able to climb mountains or anything.

Is it worth paying top dollar? Other than losing weight (in progress) what can I do to make it more comfortable on the ol feet?

Capodecina
Soldato
. . .
Is it worth paying top dollar? Other than losing weight (in progress) what can I do to make it more comfortable on the old feet?
a) Almost certainly not worth shelling out lots of moolah.
b) Invest in some decent, formed insoles (e.g. SuperFeet) to replace the shapeless junk you get in most cheap boots.

Capodecina
Soldato
Do I need to get my feet measured or something?
To be honest, whenever I buy walking boots / shoes I would ALWAYS expect someone to measure my feet but as it happens I do know what result they will come up with and I NEVER buy online.

If you aren't planning to do any "serious" walking and you buy from somewhere like Blacks (almost always running a sale) or Millets they may or may not measure your feet.

As an aside, Cotswold Outdoor would almost certainly insist on measuring your feet but they may also try to "upsell" you although you should be able to get a discount using some sort of connection ;)

You would typically "trim" insoles (at the toe end) to fit.

Soldato
To be honest, whenever I buy walking boots / shoes I would ALWAYS expect someone to measure my feet but as it happens I do know what result they will come up with and I NEVER buy online.

If you aren't planning to do any "serious" walking and you buy from somewhere like Blacks (almost always running a sale) or Millets they may or may not measure your feet.

As an aside, Cotswold Outdoor would almost certainly insist on measuring your feet but they may also try to "upsell" you although you should be able to get a discount using some sort of connection ;)

When we started the SWCP we did it with mountain warehouse boots in the sizes we thought we were and OMG the blisters...

Then we got serious and went to Cotswold, initially just planning to buy some more expensive boots and the woman there spent ages measuring and having us walk up and down stairs and stuff to check our walking styles/trying lots on and it ended up with the other half having a different size to every other pair of shoes she's got.. I wound up with Scarpa, her with Salomon and we can now do 15+ miles a day with minimal feet issues.. they're like gloves.

Well worth it.. I would never have considered spending £150+ on walking boots.. then I got caught up in the occasion of all the attention and now 2 years+ later having used them I wouldn't consider spending less. Totally worthwhile investment.. plus they still look like new with 300ish miles under them along with part time use for when it's snowed etc.

Caporegime

Glastonbury I might expect to wear them all day for 5 days.

Other than that, 2-3 hours at a time.

Nearest Cotswold Outdoor to me is 50 miles away :(

Back
Top Bottom