Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Associate
Off for a big solo hike around Mam Tor Saturday in my new Scarpa Boreas :) Can't wait to break them in and see how they perform.

also got really into climbing recently and will hopefully find some good spots around the peaks for it as that's where I live, currently just hitting up Freakclimb and Awsome Walls in Sheffield to practice and really enjoying it, here's to hopefully one day ice climbing and summiting the bigger peaks in the alps

EDIT: Hopefully the microspikes I ordered from amazon yesterday come in time!

Last edited:
Associate
Finally getting round to doing Snowdon this coming Bank Holiday weekend, any must do things around there as I never really been to Wales before so not familiar with the area?
If your well experienced go up crib goch (grade 1 scramble), if not go up Watkins path see some awesome fairy pools and comes down the miners :) that by far is the best route imo for the views

Soldato
If your well experienced go up crib goch (grade 1 scramble), if not go up Watkins path see some awesome fairy pools and comes down the miners :) that by far is the best route imo for the views
I don't recommend this unless you're incredibly experienced, even then I would caution you. Although ace, it's incredibly icy and foggy. Hold off until the weather is a bit more pleasant.

Soldato
I don't recommend this unless you're incredibly experienced, even then I would caution you. Although ace, it's incredibly icy and foggy. Hold off until the weather is a bit more pleasant.
Some perfect winter conditions on Crib Goch this week, I know quite a few people that have done it in the last few days, weather is great.

You will need crampons though as it's well compacted and icy. It's not the place to learn to walk in crampons for the first time though, as a trip on Crib Goch will probably lead to the overworked mountain rescue team having to recover your corpse.

Associate
Loose powdery snow you don't need crampons, you just stomp through it with boots. The snow in the Welsh mountains this weekend was like that....although some of the footpaths were starting to get compacted and icy. Just micro-spikes would be fine for icy footpaths though.

When it's thawed and refrozen a few times into hard icy neve, or been compacted on paths, then you need crampons to properly cut into it...and definitely if you want to plod up some snowy gullies.

The axe for hillwalking is mainly for self arrest in case you slip and end up sliding down a slope, although it's also useful as a walking pole.
how do you use an axe as a walking pole?

I need to see this lol

Soldato
how do you use an axe as a walking pole?

I need to see this lol
Walking axes are straight and quite long, and have a sharp spike on the bottom. When walking you hold axe by the head. They're not quite long enough to use as a walking pole on flat ground, when when you're going up (or down) slopes, where the ground is closer, they're long enough to to stick into ice, or plunge through snow. Obviously useful for hooking on icy scrambly sections too.

Climbing tool vs walking axe:

t8JhZYP.png

Last edited:
Soldato
also got really into climbing recently and will hopefully find some good spots around the peaks for it as that's where I live, currently just hitting up Freakclimb and Awsome Walls in Sheffield to practice and really enjoying it, here's to hopefully one day ice climbing and summiting the bigger peaks in the alps
Need to get yourself into trad climbing if you're in Sheffield, so much good stuff to get stuck in to. I'm running my mountaineering club's new member meet in April if you're interested.

Associate
Walking axes are straight and quite long, and have a sharp spike on the bottom. When walking you hold axe by the head. They're not quite long enough to use as a walking pole on flat ground, when when you're going up (or down) slopes, where the ground is closer, they're long enough to to stick into ice, or plunge through snow. Obviously useful for hooking on icy scrambly sections too.

Climbing tool vs walking axe:

t8JhZYP.png
amazing info thanks! I'd probably want to be able to climb on ice walls if needed with a harness on so I guess I'd be best with some c3 crampons and the climbing axe? or is there an all arounder? I'm guessing the longer one is just for hiking and summiting mountains via scramble routes at the absolute most? and not climbing

Associate
Need to get yourself into trad climbing if you're in Sheffield, so much good stuff to get stuck in to. I'm running my mountaineering club's new member meet in April if you're interested.
I'd be very interested!

I go twice a week to the gym and have only been going for the last 4 months so haven't really found a set of friends to go on the actual rock as of yet.

I live in the peak district near Langsett res so hopefully can get some decent stuff without a long drive :)

Soldato
amazing info thanks! I'd probably want to be able to climb on ice walls if needed with a harness on so I guess I'd be best with some c3 crampons and the climbing axe? or is there an all arounder? I'm guessing the longer one is just for hiking and summiting mountains via scramble routes at the absolute most? and not climbing
Yeah the straight axe is only for hill walking and easy winter scrambles.

Ice climbing, up vertical frozen waterfalls etc, you'd normally use a technical axe like that left hand one of mine, with B3 boots and C3 crampons. I also use it for dry-tooling, which is climbing on rock with ice tools. It's pretty rare to get decent ice in the UK, outside of the North face of Ben Nevis, and the Cairngorms. There is actually a little bit coming into condition at the moment in the Peak District, but it only happens once in a blue moon.

Your best bet to learn to ice climb is either to go to the Ice Factor in Scotland, or take a trip to Norway in winter, or get into dry-tooling.

For general all round mountaineering and easy winter climbs though, you're best off with an all-round axe like the Petzl Quark, DMM Fly, Black Diamond Viper. They're somewhere in between those two of mine, with a less aggressive curve, and a straight handle, but with finger rests.

But, it's a massive subject, with ridiculous amounts of kit required. Getting some professional training, or joining a mountaineering club and learning from experienced people is well worth it.

Associate
Yeah the straight axe is only for hill walking and easy winter scrambles.

Ice climbing, up vertical frozen waterfalls etc, you'd normally use a technical axe like that left hand one of mine, with B3 boots and C3 crampons. I also use it for dry-tooling, which is climbing on rock with ice tools. It's pretty rare to get decent ice in the UK, outside of the North face of Ben Nevis, and the Cairngorms. There is actually a little bit coming into condition at the moment in the Peak District, but it only happens once in a blue moon.

Your best bet to learn to ice climb is either to go to the Ice Factor in Scotland, or take a trip to Norway in winter, or get into dry-tooling.

For general all round mountaineering and easy winter climbs though, you're best off with an all-round axe like the Petzl Quark, DMM Fly, Black Diamond Viper. They're somewhere in between those two of mine, with a less aggressive curve, and a straight handle, but with finger rests.

But, it's a massive subject, with ridiculous amounts of kit required. Getting some professional training, or joining a mountaineering club and learning from experienced people is well worth it.
Sounds good thanks for the info :)

let me know when your open for newbies!

Soldato
Third dry tooling session today, starting to get into the swing of it. Did all the routes clean that dogged before, led my first route, and got a D6+ onsight.

Think the power endurance I've been doing as part of my training plan helps....and just getting better at milking rests, swapping tools etc.

Associate
Cheers chaps, even just confirmation what conditions warrant ice axe/crampons have given me food for thought.

Take crampons when with you at the slightest hint of freezing temps, or go when you know there will be a snow line (elevation where snow begins) and keep walking (so long as it's safe). you'll know when to put on your crampons due to traction.
In mixed terrain it's a grey area judgement as to what to do really as crampons can be cumbersome in certain scenarios.

As mid said, loose snow you don't really need - the spikes are there to stop your feet from slipping.

Associate
Take crampons when with you at the slightest hint of freezing temps, or go when you know there will be a snow line (elevation where snow begins) and keep walking (so long as it's safe). you'll know when to put on your crampons due to traction.
In mixed terrain it's a grey area judgement as to what to do really as crampons can be cumbersome in certain scenarios.

As mid said, loose snow you don't really need - the spikes are there to stop your feet from slipping.
Makes a ton of sense! Thank you.

Had a small walk this morning in the lakes aiming for Loughrigg Fell. Got up to the tops and the rain was coming sideways so decided to bail and have a breakfast in Ambleside.

Trying to sort out an MCL sprain so this was a test to see how I’d deal with a little bit of elevation.

Soldato
What’s everyone’s goals this year?

Mine is to continue rebuilding my fitness and knee for some good mountain days.
If I can stay injury free after surgery and no friends end up in hospital, it'll be a good year! The aim is to just get out and have fun this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom