Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
What’s everyone’s goals this year?

Mine is to continue rebuilding my fitness and knee for some good mountain days.
Getting into winter climbing this season. Got a week in Norway in Jan, then Scotland trips in Feb and March.

Do more easy mountain multipitch routes with the missus, and start leading E1 and E2 regularly.

I'd like to up my boulder grade from V6/7A, but it's hard work once you get to your 40s. Sticking to my training in January and will see how it goes.

Soldato
Back from Rjukan yesterday, bloody ace :cool: Bitterly cold, -12C most days, so hard, brittle ice, and we had 2-3 ft of snow which meant most of the easier routes were off limits, so just on the steeper single pitch routes. Achieved my goal for the week which was to start leading water ice, so that's one 2023 ticklist done already.

This is me on my first lead on Bullen WI-3 at Krokan.

HH4h4BQ.png

Next up, Scottish Winter in a couple weeks...

Soldato
Off to Scotland this evening, long weekend at Milehouse Cottage in Cairngorms.

Weather doesn't look horrendous, or great.....will manage some gully bashing at least!

Soldato
Do any of you have any recommendations for a weekend walking route where we can wild camp Fri and Sat nights (different camps) and end back up at the same spot at the end (carpark) South Wales preferably I guess. Not done this before but one of us is a postie so walks for a living and I'm heavily at the gym and we'll be working up to "bacpacking" sensibly / as nessesary. We both feel the need to just get away from civilisation for a weekend and enjoy nature but neither of us are heavily into walking in the wild other than our own local hills on normal daytime walks..

Last edited:
Associate
Made a video of my trip to Peru to climb Chopicalqui (6354m)

Rather long so well done if you make it to the end.
Haven't really looked at these pics since we did it so I've enjoyed the process of making this and going through all the photos/videos and it'll be a nice remembrance of the trip I can look back over.

I've had people say they couldn't think of anything worse than climbing a mountain, and often it's not just about the mountain but the journey to it and this one was something special and I personally think this video highlights that

Last edited:
Soldato
Made a video of my trip to Peru to climb Chopicalqui (6354m)

Rather long so well done if you make it to the end.
Haven't really looked at these pics since we did it so I've enjoyed the process of making this and going through all the photos/videos and it'll be a nice remembrance of the trip I can look back over.

I've had people say they couldn't think of anything worse than climbing a mountain, and often it's not just about the mountain but the journey to it and this one was something special and I personally think this video highlights that

Awesome! Went to Peru on my own around 2005 and mooched around Cusco, did the inca trail and stuff, loved it (apart from the food poisoning on the flight home!).

Having to think a bit about my big mountain days in the near future, my right toe joint is nearly siezed and a few pretty short days up and down the Northern corries last month really aggravated it, been giving me hell since, although it's just about settled now. I'm going to have to have it fused at some point....but probably need to avoid stressing it too much in the meantime.

Anyway, it's nearly trad season, feeling strong after the winter's bouldering and training, time to smash some E grades.

Got a ticket for Crackfest in Sheffield next month.....need to get to Millstone and practice!

Soldato
Do any of you have any recommendations for a weekend walking route where we can wild camp Fri and Sat nights (different camps) and end back up at the same spot at the end (carpark) South Wales preferably I guess. Not done this before but one of us is a postie so walks for a living and I'm heavily at the gym and we'll be working up to "bacpacking" sensibly / as nessesary. We both feel the need to just get away from civilisation for a weekend and enjoy nature but neither of us are heavily into walking in the wild other than our own local hills on normal daytime walks..
The Carneddau is a good spot, park up in Ogwen Valley and head north up into the hills basically. It's quieter than the honeypots of Tryfan/Snowdon to the South.

Remember wild camping isn't technically allowed so pitch late, pack up early, and leave no trace. No-one's going to be bothering you up there though.

Soldato
@DomBruv reminder my club's New Member Meet is 1/2nd April. No obligation to join or anything, but you're welcome to turn up and there'll be plenty of people to climb with.

More than likely be on the Eastern edges somewhere, Frogatt/Stanage/Burbage....depends a bit on the weather. If the weather is truly lousy we'll go to Awesome Walls in Sheffield.

Caporegime
Anyone done the Camino?

Looking to do it in October, probably won't have much more time that 8days. So either from Porto or part of the French way.

Any suggestions? Tips/hints.

Also would much prefer to camp, but this seems more difficult than maybe I would like it to be. Anyone camped along the way? Don't mind don't a mixture of hostels/bivvy/tent.

Associate
made a short video of my recent trip to the lakes. I did what was meant to be a sunrise hike but fog came in. Was still a nice run back down and checked a load of waterfalls out at fisherplace gill

Soldato
Was at Crackfest yesterday, good fun, kinda weird climbing with all these pro climber personalities around!

I am absolutely in bits today though, hands are wrecked, everything aches. One of the comp problems I just couldn't stick the final move and had 20+ goes on it, losing some skin from one of the jams every attempt.....never did get it, bah.

Associate
Tryfan is a brilliant days scrambling. One of my favourites.
yeah it was a great days scrambling. I've not done much in Wales I sent to tgo north to Scotland for the mountains but I've done clogwyn y person arete and parsons nose which was fun. I've got two big days there this year doing the 3000's and Man v Mountain I'm looking forward to but also dreading ha

Last edited:
Soldato
search for a pair of replacement polartec 200ish trousers goes on
I wan't loose-ish trousers to wear for walking/climbing potentially under waterproof salopettes/overtrousers, to replace ones on left sprayaway ~15years old

returning : https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/berghaus-mens-prism-polartec-pants right
these have stupidly wide waist band/bottoms, that would never dry out if they got damp , and restrictive around the waist.

52906965204_c1f6a71e24_o_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom