Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

fleesy pants I end up sweating in, are a lot heavier and bulier, so don't pack as well.
I just mean polartec 200 nothing heavy, which I usually wear alone, for both rock climbing (if its not shorts weather) and for ski if its not too cold, 10 years ago you could get them everywhere but they've gone out of fashion.
I'm always reluctant to have too much slick low friction fabric like goretex on the outer body - you gather speed real fast if you slip somewhere (has anyone found my vaunet sunglasses I lost below the grand montes)

I need to get some walking poles and stop thinking it makes me a lesser walker!
if you ski just get extendable ski poles, which I use, I don't see much point in a slightly lighter/thinner/delicate pole limited to walking.

Haha, wait till you get to Skye and you'll see how well those softshell hold up
Hah, I know Skye well :D Softshells are great but I wouldn't go up the ridge without a hardshell in my bag! Got a good hardshell jacket, and some basic overtrousers. Think I may treat myself to a pair of Tupilaks for Norway in January and hopefully a few Scottish winter weekends.

Hah, I know Skye well :D Softshells are great but I wouldn't go up the ridge without a hardshell in my bag! Got a good hardshell jacket, and some basic overtrousers. Think I may treat myself to a pair of Tupilaks for Norway in January and hopefully a few Scottish winter weekends.
Have you sone routes in mind? I did a good grade 3 from glenbrittle end if that's your thing.

Camasunary bothy and a trip up bla bhenn from that sides decent as a hike. You get to see the full ridge going up

Have you sone routes in mind? I did a good grade 3 from glenbrittle end if that's your thing.

Camasunary bothy and a trip up bla bhenn from that sides decent as a hike. You get to see the full ridge going up
Depends on the weather, if it's reasonably dry then we'll link up some routes up by the Cioch in Coire Lagan. Need to bag the Inn Pinn as well. If weather's too ropey for trad then some scrambling routes, I'd really like to do the full Pinnacle Ridge route up Sgùrr Nan Gillean. All depends where the weather's coming from. Staying at the Glen Brittle Memorial Hut for a couple nights.

Probably do some sea cliffs up the North and West of the island weather permitting too.

Well, my climbing partner fell ill the day before the trip, but I went up to Scotland anyway. Weather was crap but went for a walk up Coire An t'Sneachda onto the plateau to Ben MacDui. That was pretty exciting, bailed a few hundred metres before the summit as the wind was getting a bit dicey, and I hadn't seen anyone all day, didn't seem a sensible time to turn an ankle :D

Went back and decided to bag Cairn Gorm on the way. Wind was picking up, 87mph gusts.....made the mistake of descending via the Windy Path :cry: Absolute error.....I couldn't stand up for most of it, had to crab crawl most of the way down....it was absolutely brutal. I was very glad for all my gear, including the ME Karakorums I picked up in Aviemore on sale.

Video of fencing panels bending in the wind :

Wind was insane. I've been out in a force 10 super typhoon in HK, but the warm damp wind takes the edge off a bit....the gusts were insane.

Anyway, think I've had an authentic cairngorm epic now....the hills are a bit crap compared to the west coast, for summer anyway, I'll be back in the new year for some winter climbing.

Last edited:
I need to get some walking poles and stop thinking it makes me a lesser walker!

Cheers everyone for Scarpa recommendations. I’ve tried them before and happy with fit bit, wanted to check their longevity.

The Harrier ones seem to be a good balance between price/quality. Unsure if walking poles are any different to running ones though.

I've got the Hellvelyn carbon ones

Support has been good too after i had an issue where a locking pin worked loose during a run and they shipped me out a replacement for free.

Starting to get a bit chilly out there now and I don't really own a decent pair of gloves.

Sealskinz all they cracked up to be for the price? Looking for something with decent dexterity and given our UK climate, waterproof.

I find gloves really annoying to buy because it's so hard to tell which size will fit or how warm they actually feel in practice without trying them on in person.

I have some Extremities silk liners which I wear on their own if it's not that cold, or under other gloves if it's really cold.

Pair of trekmates classic dry lite gloves (some kind of waterproof membrane), which are great when it's not too cold, and a pair of Rab Ether (dryflex membrane) gloves for if it's a bit colder.

The rab gloves are a bit tougher and have leather palms so would be better if you'd be scrambling or something, as the trekmates ones are quite thin and lightweight and although they're fine for general use I imagine they'd get holes in fairly quickly if they had a lot of contact with rock.

I wouldn't say either have exceptional dexterity, but as good as any others I tried. If you wear them in the rain for extended periods then both will get a bit damp inside (although Tbf always hard to know how much of that sweat or putting wet hands in them after having them out, and how much is leakage), but I think gloves are always a bit like that.

Sometimes if the middle of winter I keep a light pair of insulating mittens and some waterproof over-mitts in my bag in case I just need to keep warm and other stuff might have got wet etc.

For context I do hillwalking and am quite happy going out on hills in snowy winter weather with that kit. If you have colder hands you might want some warmer gloves too (neither of my pairs are particularly heavily insulated as gloves go), but those options have been fine for me so far.

Last edited:
The answer to having warm, dry gloves, is to have spare dry gloves in your bag. I've got a variety from thin insulating ones, to Rab Guide gauntlets, and some Showa Temres 282 rubber gloves. Always have at least one spare pair in the pack when I'm out in winter.

Went dry-tooling yeterday, in preparation for Rjukan. Hard work! I took the second hand old Grivel Matrix Techs I've had for a while.....showing their age, I tried some other people's Nomics and Ergonomics and they are so much easier on steep stuff with the offset handles. Think I'm going to be getting myself some new tools for Christmas :cool:

I do like the design of the Grivels with the big hole at the top, steel picks rather than the alloy on the Petzl's which doesn't last. May give the Tech Machines a go.

Anyone getting out in the white stuff?

Planning to go to Ogwen on Saturday then get up the north ridge to Tryfan summit for sunrise Sunday morning. First time out in winter for the other half.

If the North ridge looks a bit steep for her, might skirt round Heather Terrace and up the south side or just walk up to Glyder fach. Never actually been up the North ridge, always just go up the East buttresses. Shame the gullies won't be in nick yet!

Anyone getting out in the white stuff?

Planning to go to Ogwen on Saturday then get up the north ridge to Tryfan summit for sunrise Sunday morning. First time out in winter for the other half.

If the North ridge looks a bit steep for her, might skirt round Heather Terrace and up the south side or just walk up to Glyder fach. Never actually been up the North ridge, always just go up the East buttresses. Shame the gullies won't be in nick yet!
I haven’t. Fairly experienced summer conditions hiker.

How did you get the experience to go winter mountaineering? I’m not a climber by any means but, is there something for me in winter conditions?

How did you get the experience to go winter mountaineering? I’m not a climber by any means but, is there something for me in winter conditions?
You just need to be a bit more prepared for winter, and the consequences of getting hurt a bit more serious. Basically, extra layers, spare gloves/socks. Decent waterproofs top and bottom. Emergency shelter. You want to be able to sit and not move for a few hours if you get hurt and not freeze basically.

Crampons and a simple mountaineering ice axe if the conditions warrant it.

Was my other half's first time out in winter, and at night, so we took it easy. Went up Tryfan and along Heather Terrace on the east side as the sun rose. Mooched around below the summit then over to the base of Bristly Ridge for a bit and wandered back down. Lovely day, quite a bit of snow higher up.

9AVPm2b.png

The snow was loose and powdery so we didn't need crampons. Used our walking axes a lot though, especially on the scrambly bit and a section where we went off path on the way down.

The BMC have some good content on getting into winter stuff, there's other sources too :

Last edited:
Unfortunately was busy at the weekend but would have been great to get out walking... Looks like next weekend will still be cold but possibly much cloudier so maybe not worth going up mountains... Will see.

I would say winter hiking can be great fun and very rewarding (I tend to only do walking rather than climbing), and is pretty much the same as summer hiking, but with some added difficulties which you need to work around:
- less daylight (so make sure you bring spare torch / batteries...)
- potential for worse weather and getting very cold if you stop (so bring extra warm layers (including balaclava and ski goggles if it's going to be windy & cold) , make sure you have emergency shelter, and check the forecast carefully)
- snow can be bright in the sun and hard to walk through (so bring sunglasses and sunscreen, and allow a bit of extra time for walking through snow).
- navigation can be harder as features hidden by snow or clouds etc (so practice map & compass, counting steps etc, even if GPS will be your main tool, and you need to be extra aware of hazards like cliffs to make sure you're not going to accidentally walk over them in poor visibility)
- slippery (so bring microspikes for icy bits (walking poles help too), or crampons & ice axe if there might be hard / deep snow, and factor in to your route planning that what is an easy scramble in summer might be a different proposition when covered in snow and ice).
- Avalanches can be an underestimated risk, so worth checking an avalanche forecast before you go up a mountain.

Overall I think building up confidence / skills by doing some shorter winter hikes on relatively easy terrain is the way to go, to start with, so you can work out what layers you want to bring etc, and have the chance to practice navigation etc in winter conditions. Then if you feel confident go for longer / higher walk.

Imo most skills you need are the same as summer hiking, but applying them will be a bit different. Crampon and ice axe skills are probably the main exception, and worth watching videos & practicing, and ideally getting someone more experienced to show you, or do a basic winter skills course. You won't always need crampons and ice axe though - if there's not much snow or you won't be crossing steep slopes then they're probably not necessary (knowing in advance what conditions are like can be tricky though!). I sometimes use crampons and walking poles together for the stability & grip even if I don't need an ice axe though.

There are various winter skills courses around (eg PYB or Glenmore ones) which are probably the best way into the winter mountaineering side of things if you don't have a group of experienced friends to go with.

Last edited:
Cheers chaps, even just confirmation what conditions warrant ice axe/crampons have given me food for thought.
Loose powdery snow you don't need crampons, you just stomp through it with boots. The snow in the Welsh mountains this weekend was like that....although some of the footpaths were starting to get compacted and icy. Just micro-spikes would be fine for icy footpaths though.

When it's thawed and refrozen a few times into hard icy neve, or been compacted on paths, then you need crampons to properly cut into it...and definitely if you want to plod up some snowy gullies.

The axe for hillwalking is mainly for self arrest in case you slip and end up sliding down a slope, although it's also useful as a walking pole.

Back
Top Bottom