Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Underboss
Thanks

I've decided against a one DO IT ALL rucksack
instead im going to use my pull string swim type bag for work, and when i start doing day hikes ill get a talon 33, the only gripe i have with it, is the fact no integrated rain over on the bottom, which is really nice on my other bag, but i know Osprey do one that packs into a bag thing you could clip on the outside.

just need to find some like minded people around the chilterns/bucks to go walking with now !
anyone near ?

Associate
Hi all

Need help deciding on which backpack out of these 3 :

Osprey Hikelite 26 / 32
Talon 33

i like the idea of the intrigated waterproof cover on the bottom (i have this on my small camalbak)

i also like the idea of a front stash pocket without going into main compartment and help keeping wet rain jacket separate !

i like the ideas on the Talon though, like the extra pockets on the straps for food on the the pone side and say empty packets can go in the one on the other side

Want to take to work for clothes (and maybe a bit of shopping)
also want to use it for hiking for a day in the peak district/cotsworlds/wales areas etc

thanks
I wouldn't bother with waterproof covers, just get a dry bag and put things in those. They're more convenient and don't flap about in the wind, and will actually keep your items 100% waterproof whereas a cover is exactly that, a cover.

33L is a bit excessive as a day pack to be fair. My day pack is the talon 22, which I also use if I go away somewhere for a night to keep clothes in. The hip pockets are quite handy for storing easy to reach food.

I have a 35/45L lowe alpine airzone I've not had anything bad to say. Use it for wild camping and winter hikes.

Last edited:

taB

taB

Associate
I wouldn't bother with waterproof covers, just get a dry bag and put things in those. They're more convenient and don't flap about in the wind, and will actually keep your items 100% waterproof whereas a cover is exactly that, a cover.

33L is a bit excessive as a day pack to be fair. My day pack is the talon 22, which I also use if I go away somewhere for a night to keep clothes in. The hip pockets are quite handy for storing easy to reach food.

I have a 35/45L lowe alpine airzone I've not had anything bad to say. Use it for wild camping and winter hikes.

For me, a cover is nice if it's good. That said I will always use dry sacks anyway on top of that. They keep things properly dry as you say. I just find the cover can be a nice bonus if it's properly wet out there.

Soldato
If it needs to stay dry, it goes in a drysack, then in the rucksack. It's the only way to reliably keep things dry!

And me personally through superstition bag anything individually inside the drysack that is extra extra important on the staying dry side.

ive never had a drysack get wet inside even when i went for a surprise swim near the top of dorsal arete. Still the day i don’t bag those i know something will go wrong.

Soldato
Just a fwiw I always use dry sacks, everything goes in them works great for organisation inside the pack as well. Colour coded for each bag.

Red = first aid
Orange = hats, gloves, buffs
Blue = t-shirt, socks, shorts, fleece
Tiny blue = spare batteries, battery pack, cables etc

The little zipped pockets on the pack hold the days food, head touch etc

Soldato
ED8SQDs.jpg

Was in Crete last week, mostly just chilling but took our climbing gear. Did quite a bit of scrambling around Mount Kofinas, and checked out the sport climbing areas....puntered around on some easy stuff, and eyed up some projects to come back to. There's a 7a going up this lovely steep limestone that needs ticking!
Have you done Samaria Gorge, we did it during a heatwave it was an epic hike. Never drank so much water in my life, I think I went through about 6 full 3lt hydration bladders.
One of if not the most memorable hikes I've ever done.

Soldato
Have you done Samaria Gorge, we did it during a heatwave it was an epic hike. Never drank so much water in my life, I think I went through about 6 full 3lt hydration bladders.
One of if not the most memorable hikes I've ever done.
I haven't actually walked through the Samaria, but I've been up on the plateau and eaten at the restaurant that perches at the top of the gorge, which is absolutely breathtaking, well worth the bumpy drive up the hills.

I was surprised how pleasant the temperatures were tbh, I wasn't sure we'd get any climbing done in June, but the shaded crags were totally fine, a good breeze, and being 800m up helps.

Don
Lucky fella. There was a guy up here (Olympic runner) that died in the hills from hypothermia after getting lost. Feel runners seem to get off with this sort of thing, running with no safety gear. Anyone else would likely see themselves getting bad mouthed by mountain rescue for being improperly equipped.

Soldato
It's an odd one. I think there's a balance. I know i had a day guiding in the Lakes with a guy who spends his days working in the fells and will often go out with minimal kit on some training runs and said he gets a lot of comments about the risks. Mainly from older people.

So i think there is a time where it's ok if you know what you're doing and understand the conditions. I think the issue is a lot of people overestimate their ability and think they'll always be fine, however you'd have hoped someone doing a Bob Graham round would at least have a phone with them, given they had a bivi bag!

Associate
Has anyone here done the Welsh3000s in a day?

I'm working up to it!
Been on a couple of local walks, both about 20 miles but only ~2800ft and ~3500ft elevation gain. Both took 9 - 9.5 hours and I still felt pretty good at the end of both.
The Welsh 3000s is nearly 10000ft ascent and 12000 descent so considerably more!

I think I'd make it within 24 hours but I'd need to finish at a time to be able to get a taxi back to the van. Don't fancy being stranded at the end with very little gear.

Soldato
Just confirmed my place on a trip with my MC to Rjukan for a week's ice climbing in January :cool: Had a couple of aborted attempts to go in Scotland last winter but the weather never played ball....hopefully not so much of an issue in Norway!

Back
Top Bottom