Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
RIP - looks a wonderful thing to do in good conditions - done some nice gendarmed ridges like that on c'ote d'azur, great place for scrambling.

Soldato
yes I don't know if they will release more details on lessons to learn - route finding looks like it could be difficult, and mobile phone won't help
(albeit heard interesting article yesterday on how camera urban image recognition is now apparently supplementing google maps to provide directions)
remember some shaky descents at dusk with grade 4 down-climbing 10m or so where you just assess - that should go.

Don
so theory seems to be one experienced guide and two roped clients - jeez, if you are not belaying someone with secure anchor that sounds scary, not like you can try and arrest a fall with an ice-axe
Yeah I heard that today, I thought it was odd if they were doing the ridge walk, but they must have been found roped together.

Edit: Apparently it was on the Entrance Exam.

Last edited:
Soldato
On the news this morning welsh snowdon rescue teams complaining about ill trained people trying to follow instagram/social media mountain adventures of others.
Ms Jones advised people to consider the implications of sharing particular scenes online because it could "encourage other people to follow you to those areas which can't necessarily cope with that capacity, or people... who don't have the same capabilities as you going into areas which may be really challenging for them".

we need more climbing gyms in the UK(Cambs) - going to the gym is boring but I'd be down the wall n times a week if they had a wall,
can't see what the gym ratio is between france and UK (even though if you lived in paris Fontainbleu's a stone throw)

Soldato
On the news this morning welsh snowdon rescue teams complaining about ill trained people trying to follow instagram/social media mountain adventures of others.
Someone ****ed up the Adam and Eve jump on the top of Tryfan not so long ago. Lucky for them they were going right to left and only fell <10m onto a ledge and smashed themselves up, rather than ending up as a bloody streak down the east face.
we need more climbing gyms in the UK(Cambs) - going to the gym is boring but I'd be down the wall n times a week if they had a wall,
can't see what the gym ratio is between france and UK (even though if you lived in paris Fontainbleu's a stone throw)
My local gym is *finally* upgrading, putting a new 30 degree wall up recently, is now ripping out all the crap roped climbs that were just for kids and replacing with a whole new bouldering area, and putting in a couple of moonboards and proper training area. About bloody time.

Besides that though, I am off to Morocco at the weekend for a week's sunny climbing in Tafraout. Can't bloody wait :cool:

Didn't get as much trad done this summer as I'd have liked, although did manage my goal for the year which was to get established and steady climbing E1. Might try and sneak in an E2 if we get some good autumn grit conditions.

Associate
Just booked up to go back to Peru at the end of November but this time I'm heading off into the Amazon Jungle. I've almost completed my itinerary after many late nights this week looking at things to do in the area.
I am still waiting on a few things such as a tour operator getting more people on board so we can do 1/2 days canoeing on the amazon river and camping out in a village somewhere (trying to ignore listening to a joe rorgan podcast where the guests friend got mauled to death by a crocodile lol).

Super excited. Here are a few places I'll be staying at. I'll post a full itinerary if anyone ever wants to follow suit with a Peruvian Amazon adventure. The lodges are around £60-£100 a night for 2 people... the price (or cheaper) than a premier inn these days and Piccolo B&B is £18 a night!

Gocta Waterfall & lodge

21b17f16f023b9f502502b6ecda882a453297a9b

gocta-falls-waterfall-in-peru-aerial-drone-view.jpg

Kuélap
16427656_1245244995565282_8365258043355767099_n.jpg

Yumbilla waterfall
LmpwZw.jpg

Eco Albergue Azul
338436530.jpg

Pumarinri Lodge
pumarinri-amazon-lodge.jpg

Bubinzana Lodge
45463942.jpg

Madera Lodge
27439444.jpg

Piccolo Bed & Breakfast

343678996.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Was in Morocco last week climbing in the Anti-Atlas mountains. Bloody great. Based in Tafraout which is a great little town south of the Jebel El Kest massif. Weather was unseasonably hot, 27C most days, so were limited to shady routes, although we did do one south-facing classic to finish the trip, which was interesting, but manageable.

Definitely going back next year.

GHA7H4z.jpg

LZDSAPr.jpg

aahzoTp.jpg

Soldato
Was in Morocco last week climbing in the Anti-Atlas mountains. Bloody great. Based in Tafraout which is a great little town south of the Jebel El Kest massif. Weather was unseasonably hot, 27C most days, so were limited to shady routes, although we did do one south-facing classic to finish the trip, which was interesting, but manageable.

looks gorgeous - he towed a 2nd rope for abseiling/gear ? do you use any kind of comms, was wondering what's by his ear.
big rack (my harness is getting on and, looking at that, wonder if the nylon gear loops ever fail - albeit 2nd left sling with the collected gear at top of one route in Corsica)

Soldato
looks gorgeous - he towed a 2nd rope for abseiling/gear ? do you use any kind of comms, was wondering what's by his ear.
Just use two half ropes for trad climbing as a matter of course. Reducing rope drag, redundancy, longer abseils if you need to bail.

It's so quiet there, shouting is sufficient for comms.
big rack (my harness is getting on and, looking at that, wonder if the nylon gear loops ever fail - albeit 2nd left sling with the collected gear at top of one route in Corsica)
Definitely a big rack. First time for both of us climbing in the Anti-Atlas and no mountain rescue to bail you out, so erred on the side of carrying too much gear rather than not enough. Will be taking a lighter rack next time though, the climbing is pretty bold anyway, the rock is very compact and doesn't take a lot of gear. Some pretty insane runouts at times, 90% of the time you're in a no-fall situation, but fairly standard for mountain routes.

Caporegime
Just booked up to go back to Peru at the end of November but this time I'm heading off into the Amazon Jungle. I've almost completed my itinerary after many late nights this week looking at things to do in the area.
I am still waiting on a few things such as a tour operator getting more people on board so we can do 1/2 days canoeing on the amazon river and camping out in a village somewhere (trying to ignore listening to a joe rorgan podcast where the guests friend got mauled to death by a crocodile lol).

Super excited. Here are a few places I'll be staying at. I'll post a full itinerary if anyone ever wants to follow suit with a Peruvian Amazon adventure. The lodges are around £60-£100 a night for 2 people... the price (or cheaper) than a premier inn these days and Piccolo B&B is £18 a night!

Gocta Waterfall & lodge

21b17f16f023b9f502502b6ecda882a453297a9b

gocta-falls-waterfall-in-peru-aerial-drone-view.jpg

Kuélap
16427656_1245244995565282_8365258043355767099_n.jpg

Yumbilla waterfall
LmpwZw.jpg

Eco Albergue Azul
338436530.jpg

Pumarinri Lodge
pumarinri-amazon-lodge.jpg

Bubinzana Lodge
45463942.jpg

Madera Lodge
27439444.jpg

Piccolo Bed & Breakfast

343678996.jpg
This looks amazing. Super jealous!

Associate
This looks amazing. Super jealous!
I cant wait. I did some hunting and managed to secure this as a trip. Different operator as they seem to disappear off the face of the earth so found a group with 2.5k likes and wired them about £80 deposit so I'm either going to find myself ripped off or have an epic few days adventure

Shihui Waterfall
Maquisapa Waterfall
Bear Falls
Timon Waterfalls
churo cave
heather waterfall
Bride's Veil Waterfall
The cajoñahui rapids
The rapids of San Jerónimo

Soldato
*Slight Thread Resurrection*

I know it's probably personal preference but what's the go to shoe for general city walking / light spot of hiking? I've got some cheapo Reebok Ridgeriders but it doesn't feel like they have any sole support and my feet hurt after 10k steps just walking round the city. Looking for something that gives as much comfort as possible, happy to spend up to £200 if they'll stand up to hiking too and keep my feet as pain-free as possible.

Last edited:
Underboss

I know it's probably personal preference but what's the go to shoe for general city walking / light spot of hiking? I've got some cheapo Reebok Ridgeriders but it doesn't feel like they have any sole support and my feet hurt after 10k steps just walking round the city. Looking for something that gives as much comfort as possible, happy to spend up to £200 if they'll stand up to hiking too and keep my feet as pain-free as possible.

got yourself down to costsworld outdoor, they will measure your feet properly and you can test them on their rocks as its a very personal taste

Soldato

The Scarpa Mojito does this job very well. There's loads of different styles to choose from including waterproof versions, the GTX/trail GTX, although they are a bit heavier/stiffer so something like the standard Mojito sounds right for your needs. You can get them for sub £100 if you shop around

Associate

Have a look at On - been using Cloudwander Waterproof shoes for walks or short hikes, just bought some Cloudrock 2 Waterproof boots to knock off a few more Birketts in the Lakes this year.

Also have a pair of Cloud X3 for the Gym.

I have had no issues with my feet using these shoes so far, regarding pain or blisters.

I normally wear a size 8 have had to go for 8.5 / 9 for On shoes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi everyone.

After a bit of advice.

I'm off to lofoten in mid feb (artic circle, I Norway) and obviously it's going to be cold as Ice! And I'll be kayaking, camping and hiking.
Then in summer, Greenland.

Although I'm quite outdoorsy I've always lived in south of the UK. So it gets to 0c to -5 max.
I've never been cold in this weather with the right layers.

I'm expecting down to -15c or maybe more. I doubt if it's that cold we will be wild camping. But anyway.

What I'm after is what kit may I need that I don't forsee?

I absolutely know I need better gloves.
I think I have enough layers. Sub thermal, midlayer, down jacket, waterproof on top.
But possibly not on legs. (I usually wear thermal leggings, but only ever one layer.. Again. Fine for - 5c.

So any help would be appreciated. Bear in mind I'm flying so keeping luggage to a minimum would be ideal!

Back
Top Bottom