Home Assistant beginners

Interesting. Are there any options for wall switches with multiple switches eg 2gang/3gang?
Most makers have a dual channel version. Sonoff's is called the Dual. Search "SONOFF DualR2". DualR3!!

Feed the live to both switches, and there are 2 inputs for the 2 return wires.

Last edited:
Most makers have a dual channel version. Sonoff's is called the Dual. Search "SONOFF DualR2".

Feed the live to both switches, and there are 2 inputs for the 2 return wires.
Sorry, I meant a wall switch that controls 3 separate lights (or in one of ourrs, 8 lights on a double backbox :/), not 2 separate switches controlling the same light

Sorry, I meant a wall switch that controls 3 separate lights (or in one of ourrs, 8 lights on a double backbox :/), not 2 separate switches controlling the same light
Yes :)

Edit: And to be less facetious - the unit I linked has 2 inputs for switches and 2 outputs for er, outputs. 2-way switching of a single load can be handled purely with wiring and use a standard single module.

Edit edit: Seems the R2 isn't the one I was looking at, try the Sonoff Dual (R3)

Last edited:
I loaded HA on to the Dell, I tried to use the HA backup/restore but couldn’t get it to work, created a throw away HA logon and then used the Google Drive add on to transfer my old setup across.

The only issues was that I had the old and new instances running along size each other for about an hour and all my Zigbee devices stopped working and my Alexa link broke.
Turned off the VM and Zigbee sorted itself out, had to delete all my HA devices in Alexa HA skill, unlink/link the account and they all reappeared.

I’m a lot happier now HA is on its own machine and plug direct into the router, before there were 4 switches between the router and the NAS it was running on, too much places for things to go wrong.
As the Dell is fanless it can be in the lounge with no noise.

Is this working well?

What spec thin client did you use and what spec is it? I'm Looking at getting one myself in the absence of any Pi4s being available at reasonable money but only finding them with 8GB of storage, will that be enough?

Also, what zigbee devices do most people use, I've seen the Conbee II is supposed to be good but are there any other options?

Is this working well?

What spec thin client did you use and what spec is it? I'm Looking at getting one myself in the absence of any Pi4s being available at reasonable money but only finding them with 8GB of storage, will that be enough?

Also, what zigbee devices do most people use, I've seen the Conbee II is supposed to be good but are there any other options?

It was a Dell WYSE 5060 N07D Thin Client AMD GX-424CC 8GB SSD 4GB RAM USB 3.0 With Power, this is the eBay link
It’s got 2.2GB free atm.

I’ve not had any problems at all, v pleased with it.

I use a TubesZB POE coordinator to connect my devices, it’s from when I ran HA in a VM and couldn’t get a usb one to work.
I also use Sonoff smart plugs which also act as Zigbee network extenders.

It was a Dell WYSE 5060 N07D Thin Client AMD GX-424CC 8GB SSD 4GB RAM USB 3.0 With Power, this is the eBay link
It’s got 2.2GB free atm.

I’ve not had any problems at all, v pleased with it.

I use a TubesZB POE coordinator to connect my devices, it’s from when I ran HA in a VM and couldn’t get a usb one to work.
I also use Sonoff smart plugs which also act as Zigbee network extenders.

Cheers for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking at, albeit a different seller. Good to hear it works well, I've bitten the bullet and bought one to tinker with. Will probably go with the Sonoff zigbee 3.0 stick as that seems to get decent comments.

Is this working well?

I use this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363891021340?var=633133077099, i3 6100t, 4gb RAM (for now) and have a 2TB HDD as I use mine for CCTV NVR also (with a Coral, https://coral.ai/, to handle the object detection). I have the ConBee stick and use ZigBe2MQTT and been solid.

pTjBrEd.png

No neutral wire :/

You can get smart modules that don't need a neutral.

https://amzn.eu/d/j2wLzoY

You'll need a Zigbee hub to connect it to HA.

There might be a problem fitting in in the back box, but you can pop out the yellow tabs and look behind the box to see if there's space for you to fit a deeper one.

Make sure you turn off the correct circuit at your consumer unit first!

I use this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363891021340?var=633133077099, i3 6100t, 4gb RAM (for now) and have a 2TB HDD as I use mine for CCTV NVR also (with a Coral, https://coral.ai/, to handle the object detection). I have the ConBee stick and use ZigBe2MQTT and been solid.
That looks good, is it fanless? And what power does it draw at the wall?

I'd forgotten about Coral, I came across them when they were Google branded. Which one did you get? I've also got my eye on the Jetson Nano as I prefer pytorch to tensorflow and that will run it.

Last edited:
Hi

I have HA running in a docker on my synology nas. I need to install HACS and it's not as easy as it is on HA OS. I can't actually login to a terminal to run any commands. I get an invalid user / pass. I'm uising the same credentials that I can log into the gui with.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you.

That looks good, is it fanless? And what power does it draw at the wall?

I'd forgotten about Coral, I came across them when they were Google branded. Which one did you get? I've also got my eye on the Jetson Nano as I prefer pytorch to tensorflow and that will run it.
I can't remember if it is fanless or not, it's really slim so I assume it's not. It's rated at 35w so over a month, roughly 26kWh if maxed. For the Coral, I have the USB version which took about 8 months to actually get it.

You can get smart modules that don't need a neutral.

https://amzn.eu/d/j2wLzoY

You'll need a Zigbee hub to connect it to HA.

There might be a problem fitting in in the back box, but you can pop out the yellow tabs and look behind the box to see if there's space for you to fit a deeper one.

Make sure you turn off the correct circuit at your consumer unit first!
Cool, just got one delivered. Shoudl hopefully work with my hue hub (latest version)

Hi

I have HA running in a docker on my synology nas. I need to install HACS and it's not as easy as it is on HA OS. I can't actually login to a terminal to run any commands. I get an invalid user / pass. I'm uising the same credentials that I can log into the gui with.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you.
Hmm, this is just a Synology password question then - are you sure you're logging in using your Synology user/password for your 'admin' account? (Ie not your HA gui one?)

This will be you full access one that'll give root access - think from here you can access your instance of HA.

Back
Top Bottom