Home Assistant beginners

Do most of you stick with the default dashboard?
I have 2 RTSP camera feeds on there I'd like to make bigger, but I can't with the default :( and the up and down method of moving stuff is kinda sucky as well

It's very customisable. I'd suggest watching a few quick YouTube tutorials so you've got an idea of what the various options you can do.

What do you mean by default dashboard? You can just create what you want and have a full screen camera view if you want?
Yeah, but the card sizes i mean e.g.

tpWT70U.png

The white boxes are camera streams. I want them to be bigger, maybe two cards wide and high. Is that possible?
The tutorials etc I've watched don't show resizing cards :(

Yeah, but the card sizes i mean e.g.

tpWT70U.png

The white boxes are camera streams. I want them to be bigger, maybe two cards wide and high. Is that possible?
The tutorials etc I've watched don't show resizing cards :(
Yeah, this is more about web design than HA (ie same in Bootstrap, Material and so on).

You can set to panel:true for a full screen CCTV or for two columns as you describe, look at the grid card instructions/examples.

You've got four columns and it's stretching to max size (which is naturally the size it's got already!)

Thanks, that's useful. However, I don't know if I'm expecting too much but it would be nice to do like...
YqpypuG.png

Blues are cameras, oranges other random stuff eg climate...

Thanks, that's useful. However, I don't know if I'm expecting too much but it would be nice to do like...
YqpypuG.png

Blues are cameras, oranges other random stuff eg climate...
Yup, as above - look at the grid card:

This tut is pretty much exactly that layout

Last edited:
I'd have probably done a horizontal stack of 2 columns, and then in the second column would have been a grid card.

You'll start to find there's quite a few ways of laying out cards, and it can certainly get confusing. On some of my layouts I've got a nested card, within a nested card, within a nested card and within a nested card :p and so on.

Been working on an updated dashboard for my wall mounted tablet this evening, far from finished yet as I'm not happy with a lot of things. But it's coming together. Would like to improve on alignment of things and got a few bits to add yet also.

wcqCZJp.png
That's really nice Andy!

Haven't seen that weather bar chart - assume the coloured bits show min and max ranges?

That's really nice Andy!

Haven't seen that weather bar chart - assume the coloured bits show min and max ranges?

Yea that’s right it’s the min/max for the day. Pretty sure it’s the Mushroom cards weather card.

That looks awesome, gives me a target :D

Cheers haha. I keep having to search Reddit and forums for ideas so it’s not all my own work, a case of bringing various ideas together until it does what I want it to.

Last edited:

Yea that’s right it’s the min/max for the day. Pretty sure it’s the Mushroom cards weather card.

Cheers haha. I keep having to search Reddit and forums for ideas so it’s not all my own work, a case of bringing various ideas together until it does what I want it to.
Fair enough, quicker to get the ideas elsewhere I guess :o

Along those lines, are you using wallpanel integration to make the dashboard full screen (without the side panel and top panel) on your tablets?

To all the wallmounters out there, I was doing this, I started with Kindle fires but they were too sluggish for me so I moved to Huaweis as they had a better screen and spec and they were great (apart from the sideloading needed because of Huaweis app store).

There was a big problem though - batteries. The battery bulge on both types of tablet (i.e. malfunction and fire risk) as a result of having them on power all the time. What are you doing to prevent this - do you charge them up when needed?

Last edited:
Fair enough, quicker to get the ideas elsewhere I guess :o

Along those lines, are you using wallpanel integration to make the dashboard full screen (without the side panel and top panel) on your tablets?

There’s many people way more creative than I am :p

I’m using a combination of fully kiosk browser and browser-mod for it.

To all the wallmounters out there, I was doing this, I started with Kindle fires but they were too sluggish for me so I moved to Huaweis as they had a better screen and spec and they were great (apart from the sideloading needed because of Huaweis app store).

There was a big problem though - batteries. The battery bulge on both types of tablet (i.e. malfunction and fire risk) as a result of having them on power all the time. What are you doing to prevent this - do you charge them up when needed?

I’m using a Fire HD10 (9th Gen I think). Used firetoolbox to debloat it and it’s perfectly ok. Screen is perfectly good enough.

I ripped the battery out of it and soldered some wires up inside to run it directly off a 5v transformer. Did not want the hassle and risks of a battery either being on charge or constantly cycled.

There’s many people way more creative than I am :p

I’m using a combination of fully kiosk browser and browser-mod for it.

I’m using a Fire HD10 (9th Gen I think). Used firetoolbox to debloat it and it’s perfectly ok. Screen is perfectly good enough.

I ripped the battery out of it and soldered some wires up inside to run it directly off a 5v transformer. Did not want the hassle and risks of a battery either being on charge or constantly cycled.
Ooh, hadn't heard of firetoolbox, does this make a noticeable difference?

Put the tablet on a smart plug and set an automation based on tablet battery % charged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom