Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
Has anyone had any luck getting Ikea Somrig shortcut buttons working in Home Assistant, I got some the other week but just can't get them to work. I've read threads which have said they are now supported and some people seem to have got them working, some people have them working but only with one of the buttons recognised but I can't event get them that far, they are listed as a device in ZHA but with no entities etc.

Yep, working perfectly for me with ZHA and this blueprint.

Entity wise I get these:

47wcda0.png

I've had it for a couple of months. It was working fine all along but I did have a firmware update showing up after a week or two. Getting the update to apply was a right pain. I ended up having to delete it from HA and then pair it to the Zigbee coordinator specifically rather than one of the extenders.

Soldato
Yep, working perfectly for me with ZHA and this blueprint.

Entity wise I get these:

47wcda0.png

I've had it for a couple of months. It was working fine all along but I did have a firmware update showing up after a week or two. Getting the update to apply was a right pain. I ended up having to delete it from HA and then pair it to the Zigbee coordinator specifically rather than one of the extenders.
Damn you! lol

Maybe I need to completely reset the blooming thing and try from scratch. I've tried pairing it right next to my sonoff dongle but still no luck. Do you get full functionality of both buttons, and things like single, double and long press?

Soldato
Damn you! lol

Maybe I need to completely reset the blooming thing and try from scratch. I've tried pairing it right next to my sonoff dongle but still no luck. Do you get full functionality of both buttons, and things like single, double and long press?

Yep. Both buttons and all combinations work fine. I'm only using single press and double press in my automation but before posting I checked long press and release after long press for both buttons and they worked fine.

I wonder if it's a firmware thing and I was lucky with the version that mine shipped with. I think you need to have this in your configuration.yaml to get firmware updates offered, I could be wrong but I have it in mine and I was offered a firmware update.

Code:
zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true

Soldato
Yep. Both buttons and all combinations work fine. I'm only using single press and double press in my automation but before posting I checked long press and release after long press for both buttons and they worked fine.

I wonder if it's a firmware thing and I was lucky with the version that mine shipped with. I think you need to have this in your configuration.yaml to get firmware updates offered, I could be wrong but I have it in mine and I was offered a firmware update.

Code:
zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true
Hmmmm, more tinkering needed I think, it's so frustrating when some stuff just works. I was thinking of getting some of their motion sensors too, to replace some sonoff ones that have died on me but I want to get these shortcut buttons working before I invest in more Ikea zigbee stuff.

What zigbee device are you using with Home Assistant?

Soldato
Hmmmm, more tinkering needed I think, it's so frustrating when some stuff just works. I was thinking of getting some of their motion sensors too, to replace some sonoff ones that have died on me but I want to get these shortcut buttons working before I invest in more Ikea zigbee stuff.

What zigbee device are you using with Home Assistant?

I haven't used the Ikea motion sensors (I'm more interested in a presence sensor) but I've had nothing but good experience with the Somrig remote, Parasoll door/window sensors, Tradfri repeaters & Symfonisk gen 2 remotes. The gen 1 Symfonisk remote was a bit flaky.

I'm using a Home Assistant Yellow so am using whatever Zigbee coordinator is in it, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Soldato
I haven't used the Ikea motion sensors (I'm more interested in a presence sensor) but I've had nothing but good experience with the Somrig remote, Parasoll door/window sensors, Tradfri repeaters & Symfonisk gen 2 remotes. The gen 1 Symfonisk remote was a bit flaky.

I'm using a Home Assistant Yellow so am using whatever Zigbee coordinator is in it, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Good to know that most of the stuff should work fine, I guess I just need to remove all traces of the somrig and start again and see if I can get it working. I know what you mean about the presence sensors I'm very interested in those, but have a couple of places with no access to power that also don't need the accuracy which motion sensors are great for.

Soldato
Decided to do away with the Hue hub to try and keep things simple. Time will tell if it's the right decision as i seem to be struggling to configure the Hue Dimmer Switch. Seems there's a way to do it without various automations for each button press but i'm not managing it!

Managed to create a Zigbee Group, then found Clusters/Bindings in the switch control section, but the buttons are still doing nothing!

I know i was doing this as a test and then thinking i'd restart in the new house, but i think anything i work out for the odd activity like this now won't be retained in 9 months time!

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Decided to do away with the Hue hub to try and keep things simple. Time will tell if it's the right decision as i seem to be struggling to configure the Hue Dimmer Switch. Seems there's a way to do it without various automations for each button press but i'm not managing it!

Managed to create a Zigbee Group, then found Clusters/Bindings in the switch control section, but the buttons are still doing nothing!

I know i was doing this as a test and then thinking i'd restart in the new house, but i think anything i work out for the odd activity like this now won't be retained in 9 months time!
There's a pre made automation online somewhere you should use

Soldato
There's a pre made automation online somewhere you should use

Cheers, will take a look later, however keeping it super simple for now. Can you see any issues here?

Here's the Switch in ZHA - Note it confirms it's the correct Device for the separate Automations to turn on the lamps on/off. In the log it also recognises that the "On" event was triggered 39 seconds ago
2MSnPtf.png

Then here is the automation
KDC9e5C.png

It's really simple. Yet pressing anything on the switch does nothing to the lamps. I can control the lamps using the dashboard, so i know HA is recognising the right devices.

Soldato
I can control the lamps using the dashboard, so i know HA is recognising the right devices.

Edit the dashboard and check which entity is being triggered when you turn the light on, there may be multiple entities and you may be picking the wrong one in the automation. You can also find the appropriate entity in the logbook.

If you run the automation manually does it make any difference? Check the traces for the automation, see if something looks screwy in there.

Soldato
Ah ok. Yeah. If i run the automation manually then the light turns on/off as expected.

That then suggests that "Hue Dimmer Living Room" and "Turn On Pressed" isn't the correct trigger for the on button of the dimmer switch.

Looking at the first screen shot above of the Dimmer in ZHA. The log shows the On button is recorded as "On event was fired". However i'm not sure what that syncs to

If i press each of the buttons on the remote. The Logbook shows the following.

Top one is the off button, then dim less, dim up and finally on

dMwzpT6.png

BTxfkAk.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom